Hydrotherapy

angell1954
angell1954 Member Posts: 12
edited 25. May 2010, 17:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Ive been having physio and hand therapy for the last 4 weeks , and started hydrotherapy last week for PMR, which was lovely at the time , but is it normal to hurt so much the days after, i feel i have gone one step forward and 3 back....ouch :(

Comments

• annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    angell1954 wrote:
    Ive been having physio and hand therapy for the last 4 weeks , and started hydrotherapy last week for PMR, which was lovely at the time , but is it normal to hurt so much the days after, i feel i have gone one step forward and 3 back....ouch :(

Hi there, I wondered where you had disappeared to! You still have a PM from me waiting in your Inbox.

I'd say that the hydro is over doing it a bit too much for you........ask if you can go a bit slower for a couple of weeks. If you push PMR too far you do get a lot of 'pay back' afterwards - that's from my own experience.

If it is helping you feel better in yourself, that's all to the good!

Annie
    xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    angell1954 wrote:

I've never had hydrotherapy so not able to give any advice on this...sorry. :oops:
    just wanted to say Hi and send you gentle soothing (((hugs))) to help ease your 'ouchy' bits. Iris x
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Angel, I don't know anything about PMR, but I have had hydro for OA in the past.

I always really enjoyed doing it - but did ache afterwards - especially the next day.

It is VERY easy to overdo it in the water as the bouyancy helps you to do the exercises effortlessly - and you do not realise how hard you are working.

However, it shouldn't cause you a flare up either!!

Don't let it put you off - but tell the therapist how much you ached this time and how long for. She/he will also want to know where you ached - and they can then modify the exercises and how many repetitions you do too.

Let us know how you get on.

Speedalong

PS I used to get my hydro in blocks - and always wished I could have it continuously as it made a real difference to my stiffness and mobility.
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Angel

I agree with the others - dont give up, but tell the therapist how you have suffered and she may be able to modify it for you.

I hope it helps

Only ever had hydro once - when I was pregnant and it made me feel sick!!! :oops:

Love

Toni xx
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Hi,
    Im waiting for appointment for hydrotherapy not looking forward to it coz i cant stand getting water in my face
    Have been told by physiotherapist at Occ Health not to over do it as you feel weightless in the water but once you get out you feel even heavier & will ache afterwards!
    Have people found it beneficial?

Ive told the physios i work with on the ward not to come down laugh at me or take photos :lol:
  • border
    border Member Posts: 94
    maria09 wrote:
    Hi,
    Im waiting for appointment for hydrotherapy not looking forward to it coz i cant stand getting water in my face
    Have been told by physiotherapist at Occ Health not to over do it as you feel weightless in the water but once you get out you feel even heavier & will ache afterwards!
    Have people found it beneficial?

Ive told the physios i work with on the ward not to come down laugh at me or take photos :lol:

Found hydrotherapy very stimulating. Apart from the exercisis, i met a lot of other people and we all either had a good laugh or a good moan.

Enjoy the sessions, there is a 12 week limit where I live.
  • angell1954
    Thankyou all for your replies, will ask occ therapy to be gentle with me on wednesday.......have sent a mess to you Annie

:?
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Hi

Hydrotherapy is wonderful, but as the others have said, it is easy to overdo it because you feel so light. I found it impossible to stay away when I got home and used to fall into a deep sleep for a couple of hours - it was great!

Best wishes

Marion
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    I would love to give hydrotherapy a try.
    Our old hpospital had a hydrotherapy pool and threy built a new hospital...did they put a hydrotherapy pool in???? Did they heck!
    I'm on the bords of Tyne and Wear and Northumberland...just into Northumberland.
    I've tried the tyne and wear hoospitals and they have refused me sayin it is for patients ion their area only????
    Love
    Hileena
  • maria09
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi
    I would love to give hydrotherapy a try.
    Our old hpospital had a hydrotherapy pool and threy built a new hospital...did they put a hydrotherapy pool in???? Did they heck!
    I'm on the bords of Tyne and Wear and Northumberland...just into Northumberland.
    I've tried the tyne and wear hoospitals and they have refused me sayin it is for patients ion their area only????
    Love
    Hileena
    Have you asked your gp or rheumy to refer you there?
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Ive told the physios i work with on the ward not to come down laugh at me or take photos :lol:[/quote]

Now that is asking for it!!! :wink:

Better make sure you have your best cossie on just incase :wink:

Toni xx
  • maria09
    frogmorton wrote:

Now that is asking for it!!! :wink:

Better make sure you have your best cossie on just incase :wink:

Toni xx[/quote] I know i shudnt have said anything! They have said i will enjoy it but im not too sure!
  • hileena111
    Hi...no I havent asked my physion {dont have one :( } nor have I asked my GP....I assumed because he was in Northumberland as well that he couldnt refer me to a Newcastle one???
    Love
    Hileena
  • angell1954
    I was referred to Occ therapy , and hand therapy by the consultant and occ thought that hydrotherapy would help, fingers crossed 8)
  • maria09
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi...no I havent asked my physion {dont have one :( } nor have I asked my GP....I assumed because he was in Northumberland as well that he couldnt refer me to a Newcastle one???
    Love
    Hileena
    Think your GP can refer you to whichever health authority. I live in West Yorkshire but get my treatment in North Yorkshire. Good luck
  • hileena111
    Thanks for the advice.....I see my consultant in about 7 weeks...after my THR I can always ask him then.....GP might not be happy about recommending hydrotherapy after a THR....I'll try the consultant first then the GP Thanks
    Love
    Hileena
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hi All
    i've been going to the hydro for over 14 years.
    it will make you ache if you do a lot of exersize
    in the water as you can move so easy.
    and its nice and warm.
    i stay in for about an hour.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • maria09
    Hydrotherapy is brill i love it! But i do ache more the nxt day. I go twice a week & the physio is brilliant think it helps as ive worked with her on my ward. She makes us all feel at ease. Wish it would carry on for ever even if its playing havoc with my hair & makes it curly! X
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I have just had my first hydro and I loved it. I felt a bit tired afterwards but it was a very hot day and had some dla forms to fill in with someone afterwards. I am sure my body parts went to places it had not been to for a long time. THR was 10 months ago and hydro was suggested(by me) cos i cant lose weight.

elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • speedalong
    Hi Elizabeth, I love hydro too - though can be a bit much on a very warm day!!! Watch don't over do it in water .... 'tis easy to do.

Hileena- physios run hydro sessions and take a full medical history and devise programmes specifically for your condition ie you would have programme for THR recovery - if you fancy it - then ask the GP ... remember it takes a few weeks/months to start anyway as you have to join a waiting list.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dippydoodah
    dippydoodah Member Posts: 350
    i have oa and was offered hydrotherapy which i loved although like others have said i did find i was overdoing it in the water and felt awful afterwards so they changed my programme slightly. being in the water felt great but i did feel exhausted and achey for the next couple of days. i did have a good laugh and chat with others in the pool at the time though. unfortunately for me, i couldn't continue as i found it extremely painful and hard to dry myself and get undressed/dressed before and afterwards and ended up in tears each time.

i do hope you are able to continue with your treatment and that it has some benefit for you.

caroline x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    speedalong wrote:
    Hi Elizabeth, I love hydro too - though can be a bit much on a very warm day!!! Watch don't over do it in water .... 'tis easy to do.

Hileena- physios run hydro sessions and take a full medical history and devise programmes specifically for your condition ie you would have programme for THR recovery - if you fancy it - then ask the GP ... remember it takes a few weeks/months to start anyway as you have to join a waiting list.

Speedalong

I did overdo it but it was liberating.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • hileena111
    Hi Speedalong,
    I cant find anyone that will take me for hydrotherapy.....there arent any in our county and other counties close by say their pools are for theoir own catchment areas.
    I dont have a physio. I was just given a sheet of paper when I left the hospital and told.....thats your exercises

Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    Hi Hileena, I had the same experience with the hospital - I think they only believe in giving physio and hydro to see if they can prevent you having expensive surgery!!!

My last lot of physio was arranged through the GP and was not at the hospital.

Just a suggestion - have you thought about ringing round the special schools in the area - some of them have hydro pools and run public sessions. Although you wouldn't have an actual programme you could do your standing exercises in the water and if you didn't ache too much in the days following the session/wanted to work harder could get someone to put a partly inflated arm band on your ankle to make your muscles work harder (that is what I did in my sessions 13 years ago.)

Speedalong
  • hileena111
    Thanks speedalong
    No hadnt thought about that...just phoned round the hospitals
    I'll try that....thanks

Love
    Hileena