Question about Psoriatic Arthritis

Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
Hello all at Helpline team, I have a question if that's ok! :oops:

I have some kind of sero-negative inflammatory arthritis. I have problems with my toe nails and now my finger nails are beginning to become affected. They're yellow, thick, ridged and grow badly. I saw a chiropodist who feels my nail problems are due to psoriasis. I've actually brought up my nails with my rheumy who was a bit non-commital about things and asked me to get a 2nd opinion on my nails. My question is; is it possible to have psoriatic arthritis without skin involvement? Oh and also, does can it affect any of the joints?

Thank you.

Comments

• trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Princess

I have PsA. Yes you can have it with out having any skin problems. I was confused when diagnosed with it.

I had seen photo's of people and their skin problems. When I told Rheummy that I had always have nice skin and never had spots at all they said that you do not have to have skin problems.

When you cannot see something that you are supposed to have it is hard to come to terms with it isn't it?

The toe nail and finger nail problem is one of the symptoms of it but I have not got that either at the moment. I have always had thick finger nails.

The Helpline will explain it to you. :)

love Trish xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi princess,

I've got PsA too.... but not the psoriasis.

Although statistically a higher percentage of PsA peeps have the psoriasis first there are others that get PsA without having any evidence of having the skin condition.
    Apparently though you can also develop the skin condition at a much later date. :?

Even though I don't have psoriasis I have developed the tell tale nail ridges, pitting and discoloration that you have described...and find it disappointing for you that your rheummy was non-commital about what it meant when you asked his opinion :roll:

PsA can affect any joint. In some cases though it is 'one sided' affecting joints on only one side of your body (or different joints on each side) — including those in your hip, knee, ankle or wrist.
    But more severe PsA can be symmetric usually affecting five or more of the same joints on both sides of the body.

our own website has a lot of excellent info in the publications section.... and the psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis alliance has a good website that you might find helpful

http://www.papaa.org

Iris x
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Iris

Thank you for telling about that site. No one has ever told me there was one.

Sorry for jumping in you thread Princess.

Trish xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    You're welcome Trish x

....I found having a PsA diagnosis very confusing and it took me ages to get enough good information to be able to get my head round it. (long before I found this forum)

I find understanding the disease and what it does helps me to deal with it. That's why I keep asking questions about PsA and the available treatments.

The papaa website is a really good source of info.

(((hugs))) for you Trish...hope you are feeling okish.xxx

(sorry princess and helpline peeps for butting in... :oops:

(((hugs))) for you all too :mrgreen: )

Iris x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Sophie,

Like Iris and Trish say you can get it without the skin being the give away. I gt pa but I do have a tiny patch on my elbows... well not now its moved but its not much and I hope you are ok and they are treating for you? Cris x
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    princess01 wrote:
    Hello all at Helpline team, I have a question if that's ok! :oops:

I have some kind of sero-negative inflammatory arthritis. I have problems with my toe nails and now my finger nails are beginning to become affected. They're yellow, thick, ridged and grow badly. I saw a chiropodist who feels my nail problems are due to psoriasis. I've actually brought up my nails with my rheumy who was a bit non-commital about things and asked me to get a 2nd opinion on my nails. My question is; is it possible to have psoriatic arthritis without skin involvement? Oh and also, does can it affect any of the joints?

Thank you.

Hello Princess

It looks like your fellow forum peers have beaten us to it. They must be trying to put us out of a job! Just kidding! ;)

What Iris and the others have said is absolutely spot on. Couldn't have put it better myself Iris - Thank you!

Princess if you would like us to send you any info on PsA just email/private message us your full name, age and address and we will send you some.

All the best

simona
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    All the info given has been super useful. Thank you! :D x