Blue badge

speedalong
speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
edited 11. May 2010, 07:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Do you have a blue badge and how long did it take to come through?

I am having major hassles. I had one in the past when my other hip was at it's worst, but have not needed one until more recently (probably needed it from November time really ...)

BEWARE RANT IMMINENT -
The story is:

I applied for a blue badge at the start of February. I have not yet received it. After numerous unanswered emails I finally got through to someone by telephone at the beginning of April to speak to. They explained there was an eight week backlog of applications and although my details were now on the system medical evidence had not yet been requested. I explained that my ability to stand and to walk were worsening and my pain levels even more severe than when I applied for the badge. That I was having real problems with hospital appointments, trips to the chemist and shops as I could not walk from the car park to the venue etc The receptionist said to ask my GP for a letter. I then had to wait for an appointment and for the letter to be written etc

I have checked the council website again and it states,
“Standards to expect: We are committed to providing a high quality service to all applicants and badge holders. In particular, we will: notify you within four weeks of receipt of the application if you qualify for a Blue Badge”

I am going to reattempt to collect the GP letter today -not easy as no near parking ... and surgery rarely seems to be open ... and am going to send it off with a letter similiar to what is written above and also email a copy of my saga to a local councillor. I have better things to do on my only work-and-S free-day especially as I have just 2 1/2 weeks before my op (and all the prep that entails,) than sort this out!!!

OK, moan over!!

Speedalong
I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh Speeedy :(

Hope you feel better for the rant :)

It's not right is it, but when you compare it to DLA wait it's nothing - THEY know how to keep peolpe waiting dontb they??

I was at the docs last week with the youngest and saw a sign on the hatch saying Blue badge letters will not be done as from 10.4.10 - what's that about?? I will ask em when I am in this week....was worried what it might be about.

You are right to chase it and I think your chasing will help. If you can take the evidence IN to them it will surely be quicker?? When i worked for the SS we used to send our letters out second class for example...

Good luck

Love

Toni xx
  • speedalong
    Hi Toni,

I don't think GPs are meant to write anymore for blue badges, hence I did not have a GP letter to send off when I did the application form. However the GP did agree, so am keeping my fingers crossed. When I had an orange badge many moons ago - you just had a letter from GP, a form etc and that was it. Now it seems you need to get higher rate mobility or the evidence of mortals greater than the GP ie consultants ... !!! Whoever dreams up these systems - do they live in the real world ... ???

Have loads to do today on my only free day (I work other weekdays and have S whenever not at work) so don't really have time to go to office and make a fuss ... though if I got off the forum - I'd save time!! BUT really needed this rant!!!

Speedalong

PS you are right about DLA that is ridiculous too.
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • frogmorton
    Hi Speedy

Mind you - you know how people sometimes moan about people having blue badges who dont need them - almost by virtue of age...?

The GPs were possibly the main culprit for that...difficult to say NO when you face them in the surgery regulary???

Well I reckon you have s[peeded it up a bit :D

Love

Toni xx
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    According to this website:

Does the Doctor have to sign the application form?

No, Doctors are no longer involved in the Blue Badge process. The Blue Badge team have Occupational Therapists who assess all discretionary applications.

http://www.sefton.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=3324

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi speedalong,

quite right to rant :wink: when the system is so slow and the bureaucracy such a nightmare!

I don't think my experience is useful to you...

I get high rate mobility DLA and in this local authority applications are fast tracked if you get the high rate mob.
    The form is simple....Name address dob NI Number and a copy of the DLA award and of course a 'mug shot'. Took one week to get the blue badge.

'Discretionary' applications that require medical evidence I know nothing about.

sorry speedalong...I feel as though I have just rubbed salt in the wound. :oops:

Iris x
  • frogmorton
    According to this website:

Does the Doctor have to sign the application form?

No, Doctors are no longer involved in the Blue Badge process. The Blue Badge team have Occupational Therapists who assess all discretionary applications.

http://www.sefton.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=3324

Joseph 8)

Thanks for that Joseph!!

Explains a lot.

And Iris

Much more straightforward if you have DLA mob at higher rate then?

Love

Toni xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    frogmorton wrote:
    And Iris

Much more straightforward if you have DLA mob at higher rate then?

Love

Toni xx

definitely Toni......but I was very surprised I didn't have to provide any reports from anyone.

Don't know if it's the same in other areas?

Iris x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Good morning Speedalong, what a saga. I have always been very fortunate with my BB applications. I think my first took six weeks, thereafter I have submitted the form (keeping a record of all my answers about how far I can walk etc) and put in the space for 'any other comments' the number of my due-to-expire badge. I have always had the BB back within three weeks. This isn't to stress how lucky I am - I hope it's given you some tips for the future! Always keep a current badge. If things improve and you don't need to use it, fine, tuck it away in a drawer. At least it's there if things deteriorate. Give the penpushers as much help as you can. My LA (in the East of England) has a current backlog of about 6 weeks and I will start my renewal process in Feb 2011. (I expire in March!) Could you ask your docs to send your letter to you, offering to send them stamps in return? Surely they know your situation. People just don't help nowadays, do they? It all has to be done by the book, no going the extra mile. I'm so sorry, I hope it get resolved soon. Take care. Dreamdaisy.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    Very very wise dreamdaisy

Always photocopy everything that goes off anywhere!!

probably should be number one of top tips for anything like this!! DLA ESA the lot.

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello Frogmorton and thank you for the compliment! I keep trying to persuade my mum that now, at the grand old age of 51, I have learned some stuff during the course of my life, but she won't have it! You soon learn when dealing with beaurocracy. Enjoy your Monday. Dreamdaisy.
  • frogmorton
    Thanks

I will :D

You too

Love

Toni xx
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hi Speedalong

My GP sent off my application. I understand they get a fee for doing this (by the government I think). Would it be easier to either write your GP directly or to ask for a telephone appointmetn with your GP? It my save you going out. My badge was delayed slightly because I had forgotten to attach photos with my application.

I hope you get it sorted out soon. Having a blue badge makes life so much easier.

With regards

Sharmaine

speedalong wrote:
    Do you have a blue badge and how long did it take to come through?

I am having major hassles. I had one in the past when my other hip was at it's worst, but have not needed one until more recently (probably needed it from November time really ...)

BEWARE RANT IMMINENT -
    The story is:

I applied for a blue badge at the start of February. I have not yet received it. After numerous unanswered emails I finally got through to someone by telephone at the beginning of April to speak to. They explained there was an eight week backlog of applications and although my details were now on the system medical evidence had not yet been requested. I explained that my ability to stand and to walk were worsening and my pain levels even more severe than when I applied for the badge. That I was having real problems with hospital appointments, trips to the chemist and shops as I could not walk from the car park to the venue etc The receptionist said to ask my GP for a letter. I then had to wait for an appointment and for the letter to be written etc

I have checked the council website again and it states,
    “Standards to expect: We are committed to providing a high quality service to all applicants and badge holders. In particular, we will: notify you within four weeks of receipt of the application if you qualify for a Blue Badge”

I am going to reattempt to collect the GP letter today -not easy as no near parking ... and surgery rarely seems to be open ... and am going to send it off with a letter similiar to what is written above and also email a copy of my saga to a local councillor. I have better things to do on my only work-and-S free-day especially as I have just 2 1/2 weeks before my op (and all the prep that entails,) than sort this out!!!

OK, moan over!!

Speedalong
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    The process here is the same as Iris'. High rate mobility, application form for BB, copy of DLA award and mug shot and it came back quite quick.

I would keep ringing and hassling if I were you.

Hope it comes through soon!

Jen
  • speedalong
    Hi all, thanks for info and replies.

Whole thing is a fiasco!! Went to docs to collect letter, receptionist couldn't find it, said would see GP at end of surgery. I left her a letter to the Blue badge people and a SAE to send it off. Carried on with day. Came home - phone mesage to contact surgery - rang back - answerphone - lunchtime. Tried later - GP doesn't have any recollection of our conversation ( well I didn't imagine it!!) and she doesn't do letters for blue badges. Tried to be nice to receptionist and explained situation - she is going to try with GP again ... Now if it was my "real" GP (of on long term sick!!! He would have dictated it there and then whilst I sat in the his room.

I just want to park my car near to the entrance so I'm not in agony before I get wherever I'm going and to be able to open my car door wide enough to get in and out...

Speedalong
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hi Speedalong
    What a mess! I've had my blue badge a couple of years - things must have changed since then. I didn't realise you could get the Occupational Therapist to sign the application.

You must be spitting feathers! I'll keep everything crossed that it gets sorted.

Sharmaine

speedalong wrote:
    Hi all, thanks for info and replies.

Whole thing is a fiasco!! Went to docs to collect letter, receptionist couldn't find it, said would see GP at end of surgery. I left her a letter to the Blue badge people and a SAE to send it off. Carried on with day. Came home - phone mesage to contact surgery - rang back - answerphone - lunchtime. Tried later - GP doesn't have any recollection of our conversation ( well I didn't imagine it!!) and she doesn't do letters for blue badges. Tried to be nice to receptionist and explained situation - she is going to try with GP again ... Now if it was my "real" GP (of on long term sick!!! He would have dictated it there and then whilst I sat in the his room.

I just want to park my car near to the entrance so I'm not in agony before I get wherever I'm going and to be able to open my car door wide enough to get in and out...

Speedalong
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    hi, I had a look on the government guidelines from a link from my council's website. Apparently a physio or OT can ask/write on your behalf for BB not GP but these are the only circumstances apart from higher rate mobility DLA which qualifies automatically.
    Hope this helps.
  • abfab1963
    abfab1963 Member Posts: 41
    I have a blue badge.

I initially got mine when I was going through chemo as anyone going through treatment is entitled to DLA.

CAB applied for DLA on my behalf and I had NO idea what level I would get.

I was very surprised to be awarded High level mobility.....and therefore blue badge, mind you since my treatment ended we are struggling to get my PA under control and I am VERY glad I have my badge!

I have NO idea if I will be awarded it again, I guess I dont know until I try...which will be April 2011.

From CAB applying for DLA and me being awarded it, took about 3 weeks. I didnt apply for the badge until 6 weeks later...and that took another 6 weeks after that.

Hope that helped.

Abfab
    xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Morning Abfab. Hope all is well with you. I, like you, would not be without my blue badge, but make sure you begin the renewal process at least a month before your current one expires. It can take some time to come thro. I have been known to use my expired badge, right side up, ie. the side without the picture, but with the time clock covering the expiry date. Naughty, I know, but we get very little help or understanding sometimes (and it was only for a matter of days, which I know isn't the point but...) Have a terrific Tuesday. Dreamdaisy.
  • speedalong
    MY BLUE BADGE LETTER HAS COME TODAY!!!!

It only took 3 months++, at least 4 hours on the phone, 7 emails - but HEY it is here!! Shame I won't be able to drive after tomorrow for awhile - but will make things easier when I do manage to secure a chaffeur ....!!

Speedalong
  • dreamdaisy
    Yippee! Just in time too, because it will be of great value as you recover. I am SO PLEASED! :D DD
  • speedalong
    Thank you DD - so am I!!!

Speedalong