Acupuncture anyone?

rosebud
rosebud Member Posts: 52
edited 6. May 2010, 10:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I'm just back from the Physio. She has decided to start me on a course of acupunctre for the OA in my wrist.

What has others experiences of acupuncture been?

I'm feeling a bit dizzy at the moment and my wrist is aching worse than ever. Is it a case that things get worse before they get better? I'm booked in for another 3 sessions over the next 2 weeks.

She says that if it works for me it has the potential to stop the pain forever and reinstate the lost movement. I asked if she was sure as my x ray shows degenerative damage and I didn't think anything could be done about it. She said that there would also be inflamation and the acupunctre would take that away and not to worry about the damage as most people over the age of 25 would have this!

I would be very interested to hear other's thoughts on this!

Comments

• marooned
    marooned Member Posts: 68
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I AM READING UP ON THIS AT THE MIN FOR MY DAUGHTER WHO IS 23 WITH RA, IT ALL SOUNDS PROMISING, SHE IS GOING TO BOOK TO SEE SOMEONE IT IS £60 FOR THE FIRST SECCISON AND £37 AFTER THAT, HOPE YOU GET ON OK WITH IT
  • rosebud
    Hi Marrooned

I didn't pay for it, It was an NHS physio that I saw.
  • wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    I tried acupuncture - possibly didn't give it long enough (only had 2 sessions) but didn't find it much good for me. My RA was very uncontrolled at the time and I found it quite painful as he stuck the needles into areas that were swollen and inflamed.

However, I'd try it again if I didn't have to pay for it - my sessions were £42 each. I did ask if it was possible to have it on the NHS and was told 'No'.

I hope you see some improvements on it Rosebud - please keep us updated!

Lois x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It's one of those things - works for some, not for others. If you can get it on the NHS then go for it. You may be one of the lucky ones! Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi I had accupuncture years ago, after hurting my shoulder in an accident, my GP did it. Afterwards I felt whoozy for a while, no dramatic results, the pain did go but after I'd had about 6 sessions, but it could have just been time and I still get twinges their and arther also now.

I honestly don't know, I'd keep an open mind and have the course, unless you get a bad reaction. (I don't know if you can with get a reaction from that) After all, like me its on the NHS, so not only is it free, you can be sure about the standards, which I would worry about from a non conventional medical person. Some people think its fantastic, so it might work for you.

Good luck, Sue
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Acupuncture appears to work well for many people with back problems.
    E x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi rosebud

I had acupuncture (8 sessions) on the NHS for bursitis in the hip and back pain. It was very effective...and I am a skeptic so did not approach having it with any kind of belief it would work...but it did. :D

I hope it works for you...even though it can't help the existing joint damage, if it reduces the wrist pain caused by the inflammation it has to be worth doing.

For me the length of time the sessions took were gradually built up over the weeks and the amount of 'twiddling' the needles in situ that the therapist did also increased.

I did find acupuncture a bit uncomfortable in places! but would happily have it again if it were offered.

Irisx
  • englishrose
    englishrose Member Posts: 99
    A few years ago I had problems with my neck (about the 3rd and fith disc) and was in a lot of pain and headaches. Had acupuncture done in Cornwall under the NHS - 3 sessions I think - it was wonderful.
    I have had no problems in that part of my neck eversince. Give it a go - best of luck
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 29. Apr 2010, 15:56
    Hi I'm with Dreamdaisy on this one ...
    It's one of those things - works for some, not for others. If you can get it on the NHS then go for it. You may be one of the lucky ones! Dreamdaisy
    Let us know how it goes ...

Acupuncture is one of the few complimentary meds with some medical/scientific research that backs it up as proven to work for certain arther conditions.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    I had acupuncture on the NHS a few years ago for shoulder and neck pain and it was brilliant. I'd happily have it if offered again. I was lucky enough to be granted 12 sessions and it lasted me for almost a year.

Annie
  • sanmar63
    sanmar63 Member Posts: 117
    rosebud wrote:
    Hi

I'm just back from the Physio. She has decided to start me on a course of acupunctre for the OA in my wrist.

I'm feeling a bit dizzy at the moment and my wrist is aching worse than ever. Is it a case that things get worse before they get better? I'm booked in for another 3 sessions over the next 2 weeks.

She says that if it works for me it has the potential to stop the pain forever and reinstate the lost movement. I asked if she was sure as my x ray shows degenerative damage and I didn't think anything could be done about it. She said that there would also be inflamation and the acupunctre would take that away and not to worry about the damage as most people over the age of 25 would have this!

Hi!, I had accupuncture (by my GP) for my neck, and It nearly killed me! I'm allergic to the nickel in the needles - my face swelled and my throat started to close. To this day my poor GP is mortified that it made me so ill. Bless Him!! :lol: Sandra x
  • rosebud
    Hi again

i had more acupuncture on Tuesday. so far it doesn't seem to be helping, in fact last night I had the worst night for a long time. I've been awake with shooting pains in both wrists/arms since 4 this morning. I'm so tired I feel dizzy and sick. Luckily I'm not working today but there was so many things I wanted to do, like catch up on my OU course but my brain just isn't working.

I had a Doc appointment this morning for something else, I considered changing it but thought I would drag myself down there and show her how bad things can be. She has prescribed me some more co-drydomol and is going to refer me to a GP with an interest in joints. She thinks some sort of injection into my wrist might help.

I'm supposed to have more acupuncture tomorrow, the Doc has advised me to still go for it as it is a 'course' of treatment. I'm not so sure as I really think it is making things worse.

thanks for listening, any advice appreciated x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Everyone reacts differently and this may be a case of getting worse before getting better. Your acupuncturist should be able to help you on that.

With ref to the injection from your doc, I reckon that would be a steroid. They are effective in reducing inflammation and easing pain. They are supposed to be effective for up to three months. I had them in my knees and they only lasted three days! C'est la vie. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • wynnie
    wynnie Member Posts: 117
    rosebud wrote:
    Hi

hi there,i had acupuncture years ago which i paid for myself for a bad back,it did work for me ,dont know how i would feel if i had needle put into a swollen joint now though,i found it very relaxing and it did work on back after a few sessions ,if it works on your wrist let me know and i will try it myself,keep at it you never know wynnie
  • cheshirefay
    cheshirefay Member Posts: 43
    Hi,
    I think it works for some and if you can get it on NHS then thats great.
    It did nothing for me in fact I nearly went throught the roof when she put needles in my lower back , it didn`t hurt anywhere else though so I guess there must have been inflammation there.
    My son swears by it as it works great for him .
    It is certainly worth a try . It works by getting you to produce your own natural pain killer however I would be wary of someone saying it will get rid of your arthur permanently.
    Fay x