Undergraduate student advice on changing careers

antlonny
antlonny Member Posts: 7

Comments

• dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi antlonny and welcome to the forum! ':D'

glad you felt able to post on the forum and you are definitely not standing on any soapbox! so don't apologise! ':wink:'

From your post it's clear you are going through a very difficult and confusing time because of the impact of arther on your studies and what might happen in the future. But, you sound as though pharmacy is what you really want to be doing, so don't abandon that goal without first getting advice from people who know you best. ':!:'

You haven't said what treatments you are on or what advice you have had from your doc and consultant? As you have inflammation in your knee just now might indicate you need more/ different meds? (sorry I do realise you are studying pharmacy so know more than I do ':oops:')

It also might be worth you speaking to the doc or consultant about what you can expect in terms of the arthritis in your knee getting worse(not an exact science of course), what treatments can be considered, and speak to them about your course and the physical demands of the internship.

Depending on what meds you are on it may be that arther/ pain can be controlled or at least limited, but these are questions for the docs

I can only comment that arther can be very unpredictable but with the right meds and pain killers many of us have been able to continue in work.

I don't have any concrete answers to give but wanted you to know I was concerned and hope you do get some advice from your docs and a resolution to your worry.':roll:'

You might want to post on our young people's forum too? there are some great peeps on there whom you can chat with. ':wink:'

The helpline are also very very supportive so why not give them a call?

good luck and let us know what you decide. Iris x
  • antlonny
    edited 4. Sep 2010, 09:27
  • miss_l
    miss_l Member Posts: 138
    Hi!

I have been in a similar situation only i was training as a radiographer and spending all day walking around the hospital wards pushin an x-ray machine.
    I finished my degree (something i think was for the best) as i had worked har for 2 years and had something to fall back on and allowed me to go on and study as a post graduate.
    I re-trained and am now a science teacher, which still involves lots of moving but i can sit down to teach.

I think finishing my degree was the best choice for me. I would suggest talking to your course tutor about options. I dont regret changing my career and am currently very happy.

If you need anything you know where i am
    x
  • antlonny
    edited 4. Sep 2010, 09:30
  • naseebapnaapna
    naseebapnaapna Member Posts: 201
    hi, sorry you're having such great problems.

with the internship, could you not use a wheelchair or sometime? to sit and use for lower level work and rest, so that you don't spend long hours on your feet, and other time on your feet to do higher up work?

this way you will be able to complete your course, be in better health during the course, but still be able to go on to reasearch in the future?

if a combonation of using a wheelchair and walking keeps you healthier, you will poss be able to keep it getting worse at a slower race.

you seem to have support from course tutor, so why not see if you would like think about this

all the best for you in the future

n a a
  • sweetestapples
    sweetestapples Member Posts: 8
    If you can then I would carry on with your degree. Talk to your tutor/mentor and explain the difficulties that you are experiencing. They will do all that they can to help and advise you. There should also be someone in the student union that can help. There are special stools that hairdressers use that you could perhaps think about using for you pharmacy work. They are adjustable and may be just what you need.

If you decide to change your course do get lots of advice. Are you interested in accountancy? It may be a good idea to make an appointment with a firm of accountants and ask for their advice. You may decide that it isn't for you.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Please come back and let us know how you are getting on
  • chile168
    chile168 Member Posts: 384
    Hi Anthony,

Just wanted to express a warm welcome :)

I must admit I would not be able to stand all day in pain so not sure how you manage. It must be horrible to have arthritis as such a young age but at the same time hun you are young enough to change careers.

My daughter is your age and has inflammatory arthritis and lupus like condition. She works as a receptionist in a salon and also has to stand up all day. I have RA and understand her pain and must say it hurts me emotionally to know my baby is young and having to cope with it.

Anyway Im waffling on so Good Luck and keep us posted.

Take care xxxxx

Eve
  • antlonny
    edited 4. Sep 2010, 09:28
  • antlonny
    edited 4. Sep 2010, 09:29
  • antlonny
    edited 4. Sep 2010, 09:30
  • naseebapnaapna
    naseebapnaapna Member Posts: 201
    hi antlonny,

have you spoken to access to work/social services/occupational therapist...........both at the hospital where you are studying, at uni, or at the council where you live.

they are here to help us live as normally as possible, get the best aids to help us to live at home adn work with as little side efects as possible.

pls do this, then come back adntell us that you don't need to change career, as you seem to like pharmacy, adn have foound ways to do your internship.

i'm expectingyou tobe at the forefront of arthritis research :!: :lol:

sangita
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Hi
    don't feel discouraged I know it is difficult
    I was doing my 1st architecture degree when I was diagnosed and my rheumy at the time said I should quit as I couldn't even hold a pen at the time let alone draw so...I finally got round to quitting the rheumy (i've now got a fab supportive rheumy) and completed architecture (no mean feat its 3 degrees + experience ) and have soldered on...i'm now an associate director :D
    You may just need to look at how you approach your career rather than doing an about turn...1stly do you enjoy what you do? If yes , then you can make it work. Talk to your tutors, the student union and your uni/college will also have a disability advisor or service. They can give you suggestions / support and you may also be able to get equipment or funding through the student disability grant to help you continue. Once you are working your employer must make reasonable adjustments to help you (they too may be able to get funding to help provide equipment)
    Its easy to overdo it but after a while if you are supported properly you should start to learn how to pace yourself (easier said than done i'm still a bit rubbish a this sometimes but i'm better than i was) and just remember what you want to do. You may also find that you may be able to make new friends through the disability service / union who can make even more suggestions and empathise when it all gets a bit too much
    hope thats some help & good luck whatever you decide
    Chrissie
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hi. Have just read thro your history and I would say a) none of us know what the future holds and b) you've got this far so don't give up. Loathsome tho it is, the arthritis is part of you - and only part. Don't let it dominate in any way, shape or form. Don't let it beat you, don't give in to it, make a few allowances for it perhaps, but no more. Do not give it the satisfaction of winning. Pharmacists are useful, valuable repositories of information. Good pharmacists are worth their weight in gold and you sound as tho you have the makings of a good 'un. Fight on - we need you! Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ladypea
    ladypea Member Posts: 25
    Hi Antony and welcome from me.

As everyone has said once you speak to the right people you will be more aware of your options and make an informed decision about what you really want to do. If you can stay in the pharmaceutical field, as this sounds like your passion. Workplaces should make allowances for your condition, so don't be afraid to speak up. There are also various aspects to working in finance, so try to speak with different people in that field as you may find an area that peaks your interest.

I have a family member in her early 20s who went part-time (2 years) to complete her final year at uni. She's doing IT and currently weighing up her options about which direction to go when she finishes - IT or something completely different.

I'm sure whatever you decide you will be an asset in that area. Keep us posted and take care.

Ladypea