Holidays

Options
dutchess
dutchess Member Posts: 79
edited 3. May 2010, 15:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all
Just wondering what you do about holidays? I tend to holiday in Britian and have had a few long-haul hols but usally result in a flare plus the stress of being abroad and unwell doesn't make a very good holiday. I'm thinking about doing a cruise or coach trip to europe but then am worried about flares/bad days ruining things. At 28 I would love to travel, me and hubby have even thought about inter railing around europe for a couple of weeks. Just wondering what others with arthur do about holidays. I realise now that I need to adapt so I can maximise my holiday enjoyment and minimise the chance of me being unwell after a few horrific experiences. Look forward to hearing your experiences/advice.
Take care
Luv Kelly

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Kelly
    a holiday needs balance - enough rest and enough interesting and new experiences. I usually end up aching more ... due to loading/unloading car, long drive and lots more walking. But still enjoy the change.

Not going on hols this year (sadly) because of hip op.)

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Kelly,

I had a short break in Heidelberg recently...loved it, but found the getting on and off the plane pretty difficult! (and a bit embarrassing as I held up the 'queue' :oops: ) I also set the metal detectors off which took a bit of explaining!

it is lovely to get away though...the change does you good. :wink:

Am planning a week in the Western Isles in May before I go in for my next op. I lived there for 8yrs and it is stunningly beautiful. Travel is easier as my niece has offered to drive and we can then take the dogs too.

I've found the main problem going abroad is getting travel insurance that doesn't cost more than the holiday!

Iris x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi i like to go majorca not to far and get up to go to toilet for walk and do feet exercises it worth it
    val
  • mightymam
    mightymam Member Posts: 38
    Options
    I am having my hols at blue dolphin in scarbough. Can not wait but i am expecting to be sore, aching and really worn out. With three boys i have to keep going. Will be fun though.
  • deborahjane
    deborahjane Member Posts: 120
    Options
    i went to the algarve last year in july loved it so much we went again in october,we stayed in a villa with a pool,warm weather did me good,we are going to saundersfoot in june this year just hope we have some sun,if we dont it will be back to the algarve in october. :P :P :P
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    mightymam wrote:
    I am having my hols at blue dolphin in scarbough. Can not wait but i am expecting to be sore, aching and really worn out. With three boys i have to keep going. Will be fun though.

The in laws went there the other year, with my B in Laws kids, they really enjoyed it and would go again.

Me I am not a holiday person now, sitting and travelling only leave me shaped like a chair for days, so we tend to visit local things, country fetes and such like, within a short driving distance. Toured America years ago, that was fab-u- lous, drove thousands of miles, it was wondeful, so I like to remember those days and am quite happy with that.
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Kelly

Thanks for raising the holiday dilemma - it's something I have been thinking about (for next year).

| did wonder about a cruise... it is certainly a good way to see lots of places in a short time - a friend went on one of those huge ships last year and went to Pompei, Athens, Santorini, Istanbul and several other places.. I believe the day trips are quite tiring though (and my friend is very fit). There were all age groups on the ship, by the way.

Inter-railing sounds fun - you would get to see the countries and could travel at your own pace .. but would it be very hot on the trains? Perhaps you could treat yourselves and stay in some really nice hotels en route so that you could chill out in luxury and not get overtired?

Marion
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    I holiday now in UK and as travelling in own vechicle can stop when feel body need a stretch etc.
    I think if i was going abroad now i would be very worried about having to sit still in a plane seat all that time..would be in agony. Cruise probably ok but if going through biscay when rough it takes toll on joints and thats even if you havent got problems.
    Guess best solutions are
    1. uk using own vehicle
    2. going abroad by ferry so can wander about etc.
  • ladypea
    ladypea Member Posts: 25
    Options
    The family is thinking about going away for a week or two to sunnier climes. As we don't want to go too far, somewhere in the mediterranean would be good. The thing is more than one of us has varying degrees/types of arther, so the insurance is currently a cause for concern.

Any tips on which companies charge reasonable prices?

Ladypea
  • illihor
    illihor Member Posts: 283
    Options
    I'm in that dilema right now with our family. My daughter is 4 with Arthur but i have 3 other children. It's so tough finding the right place to suit all but it's even harder finding somewhere with wheelchair access it's doing my head in. A family of 6 with a wheelchair user no-one seems to cater for us at all. We'll def stay in the UK and probs stick with the south west (where we live) probs north devon/somerset but it's so hard finding the right place that isn't gonna cost the earth. Can't go more than 2 hours away as we find she's really mega stiff and sore by about that time even with plenty of stops :(
  • dobbie
    dobbie Member Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm booked up to go to turkey in less than 3 weeks. I'm really looking forward to my holiday but concerned that I'll struggle with the flight. We're going on holiday with family so theres also the concern that I'll not be able to keep up with everyone else.

As for the travel insurance I searched for months to find reasonable cover. I found some with essentialtravel.co.uk it cost £72 for a family of 4 though almost half of this was just to cover me! Most companies will provide cover for much less as long as you've had no hospital admissions in the year previous (I had a reaction to Arava so had to pay more).
    Sarah
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi We usually use our caravan {tourer}....a lot cheaper and a lot of freedom but this past couple of years I've only been able to do one week at a time because of the hardness of the bed and arthur. This year just havinghad my hip op I want to try the caravan for a weekend to see how I cope.....I've ordered a memory foam topper for it and am waiting for that to come...we are going in a couple of weekends time....Not far and only for the weekend....we can leave and can come home if I cant cope but I have to try. We are going over to Northern Ireland to my mams for a week or so later. Apart from that I dont know....Have to see the consultant at the beginning of June and he wants to discuss the 2nd hip operation"!!!!!!!!!!! so havent planned anything further than that
    Enjoy your holidays wherever you go
    Love
    Hileena
  • dutchess
    dutchess Member Posts: 79
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's responses. Its good to know that I'm not alone in facing the dilemma and good to hear how everyone deals with arthur and the holidays they have. I definately feel more comfortable holiday in the UK and the last few hols we've had we've done mini tours so broken up the journeys stopping over night at places of interest. The motor home sounds a really fab idea I wonder if you can hire them? I'd also consider maybe a short-haul where you could get some sun but like someone mentioned by ferrys better as you can more easily stretch your legs. Me and hubby have been talking about scotland but that is a lot of driving and plenty of stops but would be fab. I love yorkshire and we're hoping to go up there in august. Its lovely just to hear everyone's comments and some positivity as hols are meant to be about recuperation and relaxing : )
    Take care
    Luv Kelly
  • caprica
    caprica Member Posts: 195
    Options
    Hey there,
    I'm just back from a holiday to Gran Canaria - it was fab!
    I was worried because my hand was flaring the week before I went, but it actually calmed down on the second day there and apart from one evening when I overdid the walking and had to rest with throbbing feet for a few hours, I felt fab all week, did lots of sightseeing and swimming and even went to a safari and a water park. I guess it just depends on how severe/advanced your arthritis is, I'm quite lucky so far, but I think if you can get away somewhere, somehow, then go for it. It certainly cheered me up after the past 6 months of diagnosis/feeling depressed, etc. A change of scene is good for the brain - stops you from thinking about upcoming hospital appointments, work, blah dee blah..
    Good luck finding something!