Finally getting somewhere!

Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 30. Apr 2010, 18:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello!

I've posted several times about the problems I've been having with my rheumy. I managed to get my private insurance to agree to cover an appointment with my rheumy who works both NHS and privately.

I had a 35 minute appointment with him today and he was fantastic. He listened to me and my mum, answered all our questions and explained everything. He agreed that I can't continue with the hydroxychloroquine due to the side-effects and that it's not working anyway. I've been prescribed methotrexate, folic acid and steroid tablets. I was against steriods due to the side-effects but the injection I had really helped and if it helps, it's got to be worth it. I felt I may have had PsA but he said my nails didn't look like psoriasis, they're just a result of my immune system being crazy. It's seem that I have RA, even though I'm seronegative. I'm seeing him again next month.

I'm nervous about the methotrexate side-effects, as well as the steroids but I'm gonna give it a whirl.

Sophie x

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi sophie

I am pleased for you taht you ahve got somewhere!!

well done you.

Sounds as though you dealt with it just right :D

sOME PEOPLE love THEIR MTX CHICK AND i HOPE IT IS THE VERY THING FOR YOU :D

Soory caps lock :oops:

You atke care and dont forget to let us know how you get on

Love

Toni x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Psoriatic arthritis doesn't always mean blemished nails. I have PA but my nails are the best bit of me, long and strong despite all the crap I take for the arthritis. I don't get much in the way of psoriasis either, probably thanks the the sulphasalazine suppressing it. Was diagnosed with PA in October 2006 after my first (and to date only) bout of P, on the palms of my hands and the soles of my feet. People don't always show the same symptoms! Good luck with it all. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hi Sophie

Glad things went well for you. Just to say my uncle has RA and is on MTX which has helped him enormously. We're all different though and understand your concerns. Fingers crossed your rheumy is going to take good care of you.

Have a good weekend.

Sharmaine

princess01 wrote:
    Hello!

I've posted several times about the problems I've been having with my rheumy. I managed to get my private insurance to agree to cover an appointment with my rheumy who works both NHS and privately.

I had a 35 minute appointment with him today and he was fantastic. He listened to me and my mum, answered all our questions and explained everything. He agreed that I can't continue with the hydroxychloroquine due to the side-effects and that it's not working anyway. I've been prescribed methotrexate, folic acid and steroid tablets. I was against steriods due to the side-effects but the injection I had really helped and if it helps, it's got to be worth it. I felt I may have had PsA but he said my nails didn't look like psoriasis, they're just a result of my immune system being crazy. It's seem that I have RA, even though I'm seronegative. I'm seeing him again next month.

I'm nervous about the methotrexate side-effects, as well as the steroids but I'm gonna give it a whirl.

Sophie x
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Glad you posted, I was wondering how you were doing. What a difference a 2nd opinion can make. :D Good luck with the treatment.
    Ix

Sophie x[/quote]