HELP

mightymam
mightymam Member Posts: 38
edited 3. May 2010, 05:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am new to the forum. I was diagnosed 7 weeks ago with RA which has just knocked me for six. I am going through all the emotions ( why me, anger, frustration, upset). I was put on a course of steriods which made me feel like crap and i put on half a stone. I have now been given my perscription for MTX and i have mixed feelings about taking it. I want to take it because I want to start feeling better but I am worried about the effects it will have on my body. It is also that i feel once i take the first tablet it is then final, I really have got something wrong with me. I know that might sound strange but I feel I don't really know how to feel, my feelings are pulling me all over. Any advice.

Comments

• ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    [So sorry you have hd the shock of finding out you have RA. I know how you are feeling, I have RA too. It is only natural that you are worried and scared. There does not seem to be any reason to who gets RA. All I can say that once you get the meds sorted and you start to feel more comfortable you WILL come to terms with it, and discover there is life after diagnoses.
    I'm not MTX but many on here are and are glad they made that choice. Someone will answer your post with more knowledge than I have. Welcome to the Forum and I hope to see you posting again.
    Best wishes. Ix

quote="mightymam"]I am new to the forum. I was diagnosed 7 weeks ago with RA which has just knocked me for six. I am going through all the emotions ( why me, anger, frustration, upset). I was put on a course of steriods which made me feel like crap and i put on half a stone. I have now been given my perscription for MTX and i have mixed feelings about taking it. I want to take it because I want to start feeling better but I am worried about the effects it will have on my body. It is also that i feel once i take the first tablet it is then final, I really have got something wrong with me. I know that might sound strange but I feel I don't really know how to feel, my feelings are pulling me all over. Any advice.[/quote]
  • mummyb
    mummyb Member Posts: 1,231
    Hello again mightymam just wanted to say hi again and wish you well, you will get lots of support on here and people should be able to help you through this difficult time. Hope you can stay strong and take care. Best wishes, Brenda :D:D:D
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi mightymam

welcome to the forum from me too....but as Lynn says sorry it's in these circumstances. :|

I agree wholeheartedly with what the other peeps have said; it is a shock to find out you have RA and you must feel as though you're on a train that you can't get off. :roll:

It is good though that you've found the forum as we all know exactly how you feel and will be with you every step of the way as you come to terms with having RA.
    You have arther..yes.... but arther doesn't have you ! :wink:

It's natural to feel reluctant to start on Mtx and yes it is a powerful drug that none of us would chose if we didn't have to, but you will be closely monitored for side effects so try not to worry too much. Lots of us are on Mtx so you're in good company.

You're docs know what they are doing and have your best interest at heart and if taking Mtx hits the RA on the head how really great that will be!

Mtx is a really useful DMARD and if you want to read more about it check out the Publications and Resources section (link at the top of the page)...just type in Methotrexate in the search bar and it'll bring up the leaflet for you to read....and lots of useful references too.

we are here for you so keep posting. x

Iris x :mrgreen:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Just said something similar to Polly.....

but it si so hard to get your head around all this for quite a while....

the best thing you can do is talk, talk, read and talk.

The other thing is that a lot of that is best doen on a forum like this as our families are also stressed and angry and worried etc too and we start to feel as though we are a pain in the bum to them too....

Take the meds - people DO come off them again so its not necessarily forever and if it IS...so what if yo get your health and life back??

You atke care

We will be here to support you anytime

Love

Toni xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Morning Mightymam,
    It is agood thing you have been diagnosed and treated so promptly. That way you can get this R.A u nder control quickly and prevent damage to your joints.
    You will get lots of support on here so post anytime. You are bound to feel lost and upset and we will be here to support you as we were all new to this lark once.
    best wishes
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Yes, it's tough. Yes, it sucks. Yes, it's unfair. Yes, it's unreasonable. We've all been there and we really do understand how you feel.

I have been on injected meth for some time now and have no side effects whatsoever. I started on the tablets and got a rash, so they took me off that just in time for a beer festival - hurrah! After a long break, where things got worse, they decided to try the injected form. The biggest dose I've had was 22.5ml, now on 15ml. I don't notice any difference to symptoms when I miss it for any reason, but it makes the medicos happy 'cos they think they're doing all they can, so I go along with their little charade. (Ooo, do I sound a little bitter? Stop that, Madam.) I have psoriatic arthritis, but without the psoriasis (I feel cheated, somehow). PA is similar to RA in that the treatments are the same. I currently take five other drugs too: the only side effect I get from that cocktail is oral thrush, so life is restricted on the kissing front (my choice, who wants a yellow lumpy tongue in their gob? Such bad manners.)

There is life after diagnosis. It won't be the life you wanted or envisaged, but then whose life ever is? Good luck with it all, you know where we are when you want to rant and vent your spleen. Take care. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hi Mightyman,

I think everyone in the world with a life-changing illness has uttered the words 'Why Me'. You're going through what we've all been through and even now, when I've had RA for 24 years I have moods where I question why I was picked on and not some evil person somewhere :roll: .....anyone but me :|

The others have said all I would have said too (but they got there first :wink: ) Mtx does help slow down the deformities of joints and can make you feel so much better. The sooner your RA is controlled the better your future will be. When I was diagnosed at age 27 treatment with drugs was very different so I now have the deformities and the 'mechanical' problems that brings.

Mtx has been a wonder drug for me, alas it doesn't suit everyone, but there's no harm in trying it and if you don't get on with it stop taking it. You will be monitored very closely especially at first.

Life doesn't stop when you have RA you'll just have to approach your life differently and we're always here should you need help and advice.

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • mightymam
    mightymam Member Posts: 38
    Thanku all that replied to me, it is nice to hear how friendly and supportive you all are. Going on my hols to the Blue Dolphin tomorrow so i am waiting another week untill I start mtx. So next monday i will be back to let you know how i am doing. It is really nice to be able to keep in touch with people who know exactly how you are feeling.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Enjoy your hols! look forward to seeing you posting when you get back.

Iris x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Mightyman
    Sorry I cant help with your questions, I have OA at the moment that is while they make up there minds.
    I just want to say welcome to this really friendly forum, you will get lots of support.
    You enjoys your holiday, hope the weather is good to you.
    Take care
    Barbara
    Love
    Barbara
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hello, I'm glad that you have found us here. I have OA, but I'm still having tests.

I can understand what a shock you've had and I'm sure you'll find lots of people on here who have had the same problems. I think we all expect our bodies to stay fit and well, but when we find out that something is wrong then it knocks us for six.

You are normal in going through the feelings of confusion and anger at not being well, but at least you've got a diagnosis and that means that the correct medications can be started and they will make you feel a lot better. It may take some time for the right medication to be found, but don't give up if the first thing you have dosn't suit you, their are lots of things that you will be able to try.

Just expect that it will take some time for you to get used to haveing ra and you are suffering from shock at the moment, give yourself time to get used to things as they are. Ring the Helpline at the top of the page, they may be able to offer you advice and even send you leaflets about your condition. There is lots of help around and you are not alone. Love Sue
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Mightymam,

Welcome to the forum, they are a good lot here. I am sorry about your diagnosis, it can take a bit of time to get your head round it all but you will get there so hang in there.

I have been rally lucky on mtx, I haven't really had too many side effects and what I do have don' last too long. I do find I am wished 2 days after taking it especially but you may be as lucky. I have taken a whole heap of tablets for many years and was on sulfa before the mtx so it wasn't such a hard decision for me.

People here told me to take it at night and I think hats a better way to take it. Good luck and hopefully you will not have any of the side effects. Let us know how it goes and nice to meet you. Cris x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hiya

You go enjoy your holiday and as you say when you get back - get on the stuff :wink:

For now - you enjoy yourself first.

I understand that and hope that you will let us know how you are doing and that you will be one of many who are absolutely FINE on it :D

Elizabeth is so right - you dont want joint damage do you?

Love

Toni xx
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    You may not believe this now, but you are dealing with your news in just the right way. You are an example to all newcomers to this illness.

It can take people many, many months to develop the self-awareness that you are displaying already. Facing up to all the emotions, accepting the denial that most people experience for a time. I applaud you.

Because of this, and once you get the pain relief that is yours by right, you will learn to live, if not happily, then differently, with the disease.

Learn from the experience of others, in particular Legs, who is our shining example of living a wonderful life post RA diagnosis.

I wish you pain free days ahead........Ange.