Study tips required for an RA sufferer

ladypea
ladypea Member Posts: 25
edited 3. May 2010, 06:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All

I am currently trying to study for a finance qualification and would like some tips in how I could manage this while suffering with RA. I'm currently waiting for my first hospital appt with the RA consultant.

I'm also the main carer for another RA sufferer and work full time. The various painkillers taken don't appear to work, so I am suffering in silence.

Any tips would be gratefully received. Thanks.

ladypea

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, I hope I can help. I think the first thing to do is try to find an effective painkiller. I am on co-codamol 30/500 for every day use. I have stronger stuff available but, being morphine-based they send me to sleep, not good for working. Lessened pain = a better quality of life = more energy for other stuff. Study takes energy! Try to study at a regular time that's good for you, perhaps getting up a little earlier for a quality 20-30 mins, rather than trying to do 60 mins at the end of the day. My father always told me that the brain works in penny packets, and I think he was right. Working full-time and caring for someone doesn't leave much time for anything else, but it may be possible to let some things slide a little in order to make time for you. How long is your course and how is it assessed? Course work or examination? That could affect your approach to the work. Your personal body clock could govern your best study time - I'm alert in the early morning but my mum comes alive at 10.30pm! Regards, Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Ladypea,
    Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate!! A new diagnosis, fulltime job, caring and studying...

I think you should go back to your GP for althernative pain meds to help tide you over until you see the consultant as adequate pain relief will help. However adequate rest is also an important part of managing RA.

Would it be possible to put your course/study on hold just til you get your treatment regime for the RA in place? Is the course related to your current work - could they grant you some study time? Otherwise I think it would be wise letting the course tutor know what is going on and see what support they can offer.

Might be worth a trip to the CAB too as they are very knowledgeable about allowances and benefits and may be able to suggest how you can cut your hours and suppliment with benefits ... (I don't know much about this, myself - so don't hold your breath!!)

Take care,
    Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • ladypea
    Thanks guys.

I will try 20-30mins once or twice a day, as trying to cram 60mins is just not working. I started a home study course in 2008 but have recently continued with it after stopping soon after I started to care for my child. I have 2 exams to take when I'm ready (they are computer based as opposed to paper) but I just want to finally get them out of the way.

The course is related to my work, so once these are done I will decide if I should pursue it further. It's the end of the financial year, so time off is difficult. I work flexible hours and can work from home which helps a lot.

Thanks for your advice / suggetstions that have given me something to think about.

ladypea
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi lady pea

You need decent pain releif, some disease modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs), ideally anti-inflamatory and to pace yourself......

Easier said than done with all your committments :shock:

You have LOADS on :shock:

Basically you need to see that rheumatologist - your GP can give you pain killers and anti-inflam, but mine gave me NOTHING until i saw the rheumy :(

As much rest as you can get. Put yourself first when you can

And talk to us lot too - we will support you where we can

Love

Toni xx
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Hi Ladypea

Just to say well done for coping with all that you have got on your plate at the moment... it will be great to get that qualification under your belt and hopefully you can ease up a bit then?

I have struggled to find a painkiller that suits me- I can;t tolerate codeine and I like my head to be 'clear' so I just make do with paracetamol 2 every 6 hours taken throughout 24 hours without a gap... It's not brilliant for severe pain but it doesn't cause me any problems.

Hope you can start some treatment soon - when I was first diagnosed I found a ''systemic' steriod injection took some of the really bad pain away and a local steriod injection in my hand worked well too until the methotrexate kicked in.

Let us know how things go for you ..

best wishes

Marion
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    well done on coping as you are i think when you get some pain relief and meds you will be fine. remember you need to look after your self exhaustion is one aspect of all this so be kind to your self and do things when you are up to it if dishes wait till morning or you do not hoover it will not matter just find a balance you can live with good luck
    val
  • ladypea
    Thanks for your kind words Toni and Marion.

I got naproxen(?) back in December but found after taking them for about 6 weeks they didn't help so stopped taking them. From my experience I wouldn't get anything stronger from the GP, so will have to wait until I see the rheumatologist which I hope will be soon. I have a high pain threshold but that's no excuse for me to tolerate it!

If I sit still I fall asleep. I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to doing the right thing and it's only now that I'm trying to put myself first. I found solace in running and now I can't do that I'm listening to music or dancing (when I can) instead. I know being on the forum will help me loads :D

ladypea
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Hi Ladypea

Great to hear that you are dancing ..

Diclofenac gave me a stomach ulcer so I try and keep drugs to a minimum now ..

Try and rest (in bed - with your music) if you are tired ,- I can't emphasise that enough (although I don't always practice what I preach!)

You sound like a strong person - I hope you get sorted out soon..

best wishes

Marion
  • ladypea
    Cheers Marion I will heed what you and others have suggested.

ladypea
  • polly24
    polly24 Member Posts: 34
    ladypea wrote:
    Cheers Marion I will heed what you and others have suggested.

ladypea
    hi i know its hard but why dont you try a dictorphone it worked for me when i could not sleep i just talked into it with all the infor i needed and just lay down it worked as i passed my diploma just dont worry take it at one step at a time good luck polly :lol::D:lol::lol::lol:
  • frogmorton
    Hi Ladypea

I think this forum will help you loads too :D

It has seen me through some bad times...

Think if you are that tired you should set the alarm and have a powernap daily if you can. It should help. I think the tiredness is one of the best things.

If you loved running - have you tried swimming - I go three times a week and find it very effextive.

the other thing I do is to try to eat healthily - make sure I have my five a day. Probably does nothing, but I hope it does!!

Take care

Love

toni xx
  • ladypea
    Hi Polly
    Thanks for that what a great idea :!: A dictaphone would make life a lot easier for me, as I tend to write stuff down when I can't sleep.

Hiya Toni
    I've tried the powernap and it works wonders. I should do it everyday to reap the benefits, instead of occasionally. I'm too health conscious for my own good and that sure helps with the energy levels.

It's funny how talking to people can produce some many great ideas :)

Ladypea
  • frogmorton
    Hi ladypea

So long as you set your alarm!!! :wink: dangerous otherwise :wink:

Toni xx

seriously though - glad it helps :D
  • madgirlzzz
    madgirlzzz Member Posts: 32
    Hi

I'm studying andd working full time too, so I know how hard it is without taking anything else into account!

few tips on things I have found!
    exams, you can often get extension time on exams to take into account rest breaks u might need. I re-did my gcse in english and had an extra 15 minutes, so i could take breaks during exam and move about if needed. i had to get a note from doctor to back up my request.
    if u have a flare up u can ask for extensions on work, again prob need a letter to back up.
    makes sure were ever u are studying is comfortable, i struggled in my first year sitting at the computer. then decided to uncomfy so brought myself a lap top which i can take to were i feel best!
    take plenty of breaks - something I dont do enough of!!
    i have asked about getting some one to type up my assgnments and i was told if i wanted to i could!

hope some of those might help, good luck with the studies
    gayle x
  • ladypea
    Thanks Gayle.

You can never have too many tips, especially when they make your life easier. The main one (& I'm sure most others do as well) I struggle with is taking regular breaks. But setting an alarm, as suggested by Toni, has helped loads (when I don't ignore it) :lol:

Ladypea
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Firstly, you should bring your pain under control. When you are in pain, it take over part of your mind, see your doctor and sort that first.

Second, as you are so busy, you have to 'time manage' your days whether you like it or not. Draw up a list of what you do for one day, write it up as you go, memory is kind and we can forget.

Use a business planner such as MS Outlook or one of the freebie ones. It's the activity and the time you spent on it that's important for your purposes. Get ruthless, don't spend time doing unnecessary things, but always build in some 'ME' time.

Once you have a structured day, then you can set deadlines and days to carry out particular tasks. Stick to a structured day, (set alarms/reminders), and if you allow an hour for a task, at the end of the hour, that's it. Our minds like a well ordered day.

Chaos happens. Be prepared to change your planning as you go and update your planner, you will anyway.

As you use a laptop, make sure that your file system is structured properly. Searching for one file from many can add up to hours over a week. Add sub-folders to 'My Documents' and use 'Save As' to place and name files properly. Keep file names as short as possible but sufficiently long to make them easy to find. Save current working files onto the desktop for quicker/easier access.

Save your files regularly. Hibernate your laptop rather than turning it off completely, (Google it), then it will restart with programs up and running with the files open where you left off.

Let people around you know that you are struggling at times, they may be able to help or provide assistance.

I hope that you find this useful. If others succeed, then so can you.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif