psoriatic arthritis

janehc
janehc Member Posts: 4
edited 28. May 2010, 07:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I am new to the forum I have a diagonis of Mutilple scerosis and since oct I have been diagnoised with psoritic arthritis .
I am taken Mextorite tablets and prednisolone and have put on 3 stone feeling totally bloated and fed up.
Does any one have any advice about how to lose weight whilst on this medication? I am not sure its even working any longer.
Iwould really appreciate people making contact with me as I am off work at the moment.
look forward to hearing from you.
Jane.

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Jane,

Welcome to the forum, they are a good lot here. I have pa and oa. Had one since being a teenager and the pa for a while prior to it being named. Loosing weight is a problem when your not too active and for me I comfort eat all the wrong things if I am feeling down or just sad. Prior to that I just ate the wrong stuff cus its nice :wink: I have tried so man diets in my time,but now exercise isn't as easy its harder to get it off. Is there any chance you could see a dietitian? I haven't seen one but assume they might be able to help? Its all so difficult to get the balance right but I do hope your ok in your self? Nice to meet you and welcome again. Take care Cris x
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    hi Jane, Welcome to the forum. I don't know what dose of pred you are on but I put on over a stone on it. Decided to stop the rot and went to Weight Watchers in Feb and have lost nearly all of it. Must admit it is harder to lose than before, mostly because I can't exercise much and also the steroids make you retain water which is harder to get rid of (I don't add salt to anything now for that reason.) Some people told me I shouldn't diet but don't see it as dieting, rather as healthy eating. If I am honest - I overate quite a lot without taking into account my reduced mobility.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello Janehc, you are obiously having a tough time at the moment and I empathise.

I too have PA but I am further down the road than you in terms of treatment. I have fortnightly humira jabs, weekly methotrexate jabs and I have been on pred for some time. Like you, the weight has piled on and dieting won't shift it - it's a side effect of the steroid. Glum-making I know, you could live on nothing but cream crackers but if you're still taking a daily dose . . 'nuff said.

Steroids have a range of side effects and you don't know what you're going to get 'til you're on them. I have been taking them since Feb 07: I stopped them recently because I had 27 bruises on the backs of my legs, which I didn't know were there but The Husband told me they'd been present for three weeks. I now, however, feel so lousy that I'm starting them again today. ' Hello bruises, my old friends, I've come to stare at you again' as Simon and Garfunkel so memorably didn't sing.

What dose pred are you taking? I haven't heard of mextorite - did you mean methotrexate? (these names!) I think one is also supposed to take folic acid to support the meth. Your treatment will be different to mine due to the MS but that doesn't mean that I cannot understand the misery. I have PA without the P, so to speak, so if you have that too to contend with, well, my heart goes out to you. I doubt that I've been much help, but these forums are good places to find encouragement, advice and understanding. We are all in similar boats and we know how you feel.

Thinking of you, Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi Jane

A very big welcome to the forums from me :D:D:D I am very pleased to meet you.

sorry about your dual diagnosis though.

I havent much to add except that I know pred is a nioghtmare for making you put on weight - especially long-term. The others have all given you sound advice...

and.....

We wiell caht to you no problems...take a look at teh chit chat forum if you want some general chat and sometimes some laughs :D

I look forward to seeing you around.

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello janehc, hope you're feeling a little brighter today. It's sunny where I am (for the time being). Do you know how long you will be off work? Time can hang heavy if you are not used to vast acres of it spreading before you. I hope you enjoy the bank holiday weekend. Dreamdaisy
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Jane and welcome to the forum from me too. :D

I've got PsA and some OA but never been on regular tablet form of steroids so not got that as a reason for putting on weight.....it's what goes in the mouth that's the problem and not getting enough exercise. :oops:

I was at hospital yesterday for a pre op assessment and I told the nurse not to tell me what the scales said. :roll:

Why on earth are all the 'good' things so bad for us? :lol:

are you on the pred for the MS? (hope you don't mind me asking) just wondered 'cause IM steroids can be long acting and maybe not so likely to cause weight gain... but might not be able to be given as regularly or be enough for treating the MS.. sorry I'm waffling...just thinking aloud. :?

glad you've found us here Jane and if you've got time on your hands just now join in with other's posts or look into the cafe and chit chat...you will be made very welcome!...but be warned they are mad as hatters at times. :lol::lol:

Iris x
  • dopeykit
    dopeykit Member Posts: 107
    Hi Jane,

Nice to meet you.

I have PA too and it is a complete pain sometimes :roll: Really hope your medication can be sorted to support you better. This site is great to meeting people and sharing stories.

On weight loss, I have a few suggestions. Steroids will encourage your appetite and bloat you so you have to work extra hard initially to shift the weight. This is all the usal advice but I hope it helps! I've not added anything on exercise because that's not really my area of expertise and I know everyone with arthritis has dfferent feelings about it but happy to add some general stuff if you are interested.

- Get support - it really helps to be trying to lose or maintain weight with others. Online support like WW is good (and will help you learn healthy ways to fill up) or some of the forums. There are also some really good internet tools out there - check out Change4Life, nutritiondata.com and British Heart Foundation for some good ones.

- At least 5 a day - yes boring I know but it really will help fill you up and vegetables in particular are v low in calories. Try to snack on fruit and veg and have at least 2 portions with lunch and dinner. Go on recipe sites for some new ideas on how to jazz them up.

- Fibre helps fill you and keep you going - so brown bread, veg again, oats etc. It really can help kill off hunger pangs

- Low fat protein fish, low-fat dairy etc also help fill you up so aim to have a serving with every meal.

_- Portion control - try eating off a smaller plate and using your hand as a guide to portion size. So rice/pasta etc should be a portion the size of your fist, meat the size of your palm outstretched, cheese the size of a matchbox or your thumbs held together

- Water - drink plenty of water and sugar-free options. Cut out smoothies, fruit juice, fizzy drinks etc - they are all going to add calories without satisfying you. Much better to eat and apple than drink it! Soups are an excellent starter too to help fill you up. Stick to vegetable based soups and avoid anything creamed.

- Commitment and reward - tell people you are trying to watch your weight for you health and get them to support you. It isn't easy losing weight nd you have to really want to do it for at least a month. Once it starts coming off things will feel easier and remember you need to keep at it. Treat it as part of of your way of managing your arthritis. When you lose some weight don't forget to praise yourself and have a non-food or drink treat - like a new magazine, or some nice bath stuff.

Hope that helps a bit

Kit
    www.cookingwitharthur.com
    Healthy, tasty recipes for living well with arthritis
  • dreamdaisy
    Wow dopeykit, you sound really organised and together on this. That's excellent advice and I shall try to follow it. I have gone cold-turkey on the steroids after a manic episode of bruising, so feeling lousy 'cos they the only meds that pick me up! Have started to lose wieight without changing diet etc (have always done 5 per diem, love my raw veg for a snack, currently munching sweetheart cabbage) and will now work to reduce portion size. I tried WW too but too public for me. Thank you for your help. Lets hope the original poster takes note! Dreamdaisy
  • janehc
    janehc Member Posts: 4
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Jane,

Welcome to the forum, they are a good lot here. I have pa and oa. Had one since being a teenager and the pa for a while prior to it being named. Loosing weight is a problem when your not too active and for me I comfort eat all the wrong things if I am feeling down or just sad. Prior to that I just ate the wrong stuff cus its nice :wink: I have tried so man diets in my time,but now exercise isn't as easy its harder to get it off. Is there any chance you could see a dietitian? I haven't seen one but assume they might be able to help? Its all so difficult to get the balance right but I do hope your ok in your self? Nice to meet you and welcome again. Take care Cris x
  • scorpio
    scorpio Member Posts: 159
    great advice.......i am on pred and have been for a nearly a fortnight now and i am on a diet.............i started my diet 3 and a half weeks ago and have lost a stone.........since being on pred i have only lost 4lb though - the initial weight loss was in the 1st 10 days; BUT, it will come off, but you need to eat sensibly - here is my diet

breakfast:
    either; 2 toast, or cereal with skimmed milk

snack (11a.m)
    Banana

Lunch
    Tuna or chicken with salad - 2 slices of bread and a yoghurt

snack (3p.m)
    celery or carrot (sometimes both)

dinner
    Chicken (poached in a nob of butter) with a huge helping of stir fry and 2 slices of brown bread (only when starving)

plus 3 litres of water every day

calories - bread and small amount of spread - 500
    cereal and milk - 300
    banana and celery/carrot - 150
    chicken stir fry - 500
    yoghurt - 100
    tuna/chicken salad - 300

totalling a max intake of ---- - 1850 calories

that is working well for me and i am mixing up the diet every so often to keep it interesting - i am also taking multi vitamins and water balance tablets along with my usual meds.............it is very very very hard tough, i am hungry all day every day, BUT if i am going to be hungry due to the steroids i might as well be on a diet

it will work, but think of it as a lifestyle change, NOT a diet - diets are temporary, a lifestyle change is a permanent alteration

the hunger is waning now - when i amhungry i drink a 500 ml bottle of water and get busy

good luck, chris