Treated myself

katekelly
katekelly Member Posts: 975
edited 3. May 2010, 09:53 in Community Chit-chat archive
I had the day off on Wednesday and decided to go up town and treat myself. I have had my nails 'done'. I think they call them acrylics? (not up to speed with different terms) and though I say so myself they look quite good.
The thing is my real nails are rubbish - they are so thin and break easily and so I've never taken much pride in them; but Imust say I am really quite pleased with these ones.
I was wondering if any one out there also has trouble with their nails? - Do you think that the meds affect them? I know that they certainly affect my skin but sometimes it's hard to know what is natural aging and what is due to the poisons we put in our bodies each day!
Also what little treats do you give yourself to give you a lift when you are a bit low?

Comments

• ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Katey, My friend has them done now and then and they do really look good. Difficult to say if its an age thing. My nails became strong and really good suddenly when I was in my late 20's. Now they tend to split and the ridges more pronounced but I garden and have trapped and banged them over the years. :( My way of cheering my self up is going out with my mates. Can't make one able body between us so we cheer each other up. Nice to do something normal though, Enjoy your new Nails. Ix
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I used to bite my nails until I fainted in my kitchen, bit the solid oak work top on the way down and forever changed the shape of my bite i.e. no teeth match, can't bite anything.

My nails began to grow and I was introduced to OPI nail envy and OPI avoplex oil (for the cuticles.) I have never looked back - despite all the rubbish the docs' give me my nails are long, strong and, unlike the rest of me, healthy. I am now experimenting with items from Avon. I have my nails manicured every three weeks (for the princely sum of £9 - no, I don't live in London) and that is my treat. OPI stuff is expensive, but, as usual with quality, long-lasting. I thoroughly recommend those two OPI items - how about for a birthday or Christmas present? Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Hi Kate

I'm different, I have always had tough nails they are thick but do not break.

I wish mine were thinner. I think they will start to change as I was diagnosed as having PsA.

Good for you treating yourself, makes all the difference.

Trish xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Kate

Woo - wooo!!! look at you!!!!

Kate I ahve fairly good nails but when I first started my meds I think they got trashed - recoverd now :D Daisy - I am worried about your teeth :shock:

I have my eyebrows 'threaded' every month and they look really good - open my eyes right up :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Hi Kate
    Yes I have rubbish nails.They split or thin at the top so no way can I grow them.
    Another thing I lose eyebrow hair really easily. I keep getting a bare patch in the middle which looks ridiculous quite frankly.Have to draw it in with a crayon.
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    Good morning frogmorton, and thank you for the best laugh I have had all week! :lol: My teeth (never great, now truly dreadful) are a nuisance in that I can't bite but I am not, and have never been, a vain woman and I can't be bothered to get them fixed. I live with enough pain and discomfort and neither can I afford it.

For those with weak/splitting nails I do recommend the nail envy. It's a clear varnish that you apply according to instructions (or not, I don't) and it does work. Avon do good strengtheners too. They are the only bit of me in which I take pride. The rest is rubbish. A splendid Saturday to you all. Dreamdaisy
  • ladypea
    ladypea Member Posts: 25
    Hi Everyone

I've had a manicure and pedicure a couple of times but prefer to do my nails myself (while I still can) every 2 weeks. My names are strong and tend to grow to the same length as the acrylics, so I just coat them with clear varnish or nail stregthner. I love to have my eyebrows threaded as it really opens up my face.

My current treat is a regular coffee with a danish pastry. I find this to be an expensive luxury, so have reverted from 4 times a week to 1. Afterall, I'm gonna need the money for my meds, when I eventually get them :)

Ladpea
  • dreamdaisy
    Agree with you about the eyebrows. I never wear makeup, too much of a palaver, so shaping the brows does give the illusion of grooming! About to order a new Avon product, a tinted brow gel. Mine are very fair, and disappear in the summer due to bleaching, so this may be the answer. Dreamdaisy
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    I`m going to share a secret with you, that only those closest to me know!!

I`m no spring chicken, but still care very much about my appearance, always have, always will.

Except for the cutting, I am good at doing my own - and others - hair. I never go out unless every hair is in place. Over the last couple of years, because of Arthur in my left shoulder, this has been a real struggle, often leaving me crying with pain. Occasionally, I have missed events because of this.

Now my secret..... I have bought a wig, and it is amazing!! Same colour, and highlights as my own - well, what it says on the box.

I travelled to London recently to have lunch with my two sons. My "adopted daughter" took me to the station. Not one of them guessed, and these are the people who know me best.

I am now thinking of experimenting further with styles and colours.....Loving the freedom......Ange.
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    angel1 wrote:

I`m no spring chicken, but still care very much about my appearance, always have, always will.

Except for the cutting, I am good at doing my own - and others - hair. I never go out unless every hair is in place. Over the last couple of years, because of Arthur in my left shoulder, this has been a real struggle, often leaving me crying with pain. Occasionally, I have missed events because of this.

Now my secret..... I have bought a wig, and it is amazing!! Same colour, and highlights as my own - well, what it says on the box.

I travelled to London recently to have lunch with my two sons. My "adopted daughter" took me to the station. Not one of them guessed, and these are the people who know me best.

I am now thinking of experimenting further with styles and colours.....Loving the freedom......Ange.

good for you Ange!!

I have looked on the TV shopping channels at the modern ones and they really do look fab & totally lifelike, unlike the one my mum used to wear in the 70's which frankly was ghastly!

whatever gives you the confidence and enables you to relax in public ..... who cares as long as you are happy?

big hugs
    WOnky xxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    angel1 wrote:

That two of us ange...I bought mine off the shopping channel, because my hair has gone so thin....I dont wear it all the time...but if we go out somewhere special I do ....and if we go on holidays I take it with me saves so much time...love it
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • angel1
    Thanks Wonks, and Jan.

I googled Ladies Wigs, and there are literally hundreds of suppliers.

Chose the one I liked best - they all have womens names - but then looked on some of the American sites. Found the same one at half the price. Voila!!! Chuffed to little mint balls........Ange.
  • angel1
    barbara12 wrote:
    [
    That two of us ange...I bought mine off the shopping channel, because my hair has gone so thin....I dont wear it all the time...but if we go out somewhere special I do ....and if we go on holidays I take it with me saves so much time...love it
    Barbara x

Great aren`t they Barb? Go out looking like Miss World, then come home, take it off, and look like Granny Clampett!!! Just kiddin.
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    I haven't been able to get any nice clothes to fit me for years now, so don't bother much with anything else. Not much point in having a hair do and all the trimmings when the rest of you looks like a bag-lady!

Annie
  • barbara12
    angel1 wrote:
    barbara12 wrote:
    [
    Barbara x

Great aren`t they Barb? Go out looking like Miss World, then come home, take it off, and look like Granny Clampett!!! Just kiddin.
    Hi Ange...it certainly make my grandkids laugh...it was no use keeping it a secret they told the whole st...I told them I am buying a bright red one..that shut them up :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • angel1
    do they really look good on?? im so tempted!! hubby would die with laffin though 8)

If you didn`t tell him, he wouldn`t know - well, at least not until he started running his fingers through it, and it came off in his hand. Then, he`d laugh!
  • barbara12
    do they really look good on?? im so tempted!! hubby would die with laffin though 8)
    Jan no one can tell I dont no if you watch the shopping channel ideal .....I sent for 3 to see what colour suited me best...they are great on hols plonk it on and go :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    My nails have always been ridged and bendy so I keep them very short.

For my treat I like to take care of my hair and go to the hairdressers for wash cut and blow dry (always want to say blow job there can't think why :oops: :oops: ) every six weeks ......haven't had to resort to a wig yet, don't they make your head hot? :?

I always think that my hair is on show all the time and therefore it has to look good ...... freshly shampooed hair (courtesy of Vidal Sasson Hubby) makes me feel great.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • dreamdaisy
    Oh Annie, I sympathise. Do you remember Bee, a character from The Golden Girls? She was dressed wonderfully - all baggy (but well-cut) floaty stuff. If I wasn't so impatient I would take up sewing and do my own clothes, and I would dress like her.

I think us girls have a more difficult time, coping with the various forms of arthritis. We are expected to be everything we're not, with our distorted and swollen joints. I miss high heels, although I never wore them, being 5' 8" tall, and The Husband 5'3", but I miss the IDEA of them. I have two ten inch scars on me, the belly and my left knee. How the hell are they sexy? ( yup, I know, weirdo's site on interweb somewhere but . . .). It is the little things that preserve our femininity - the nails, the hair, the manis and pedis etc. I have had a dreadful week this week, living in my nightie, not showering despite the hot flushes: who the hell cares what I look like? OK (deep breath) here goes: we face more pressure than men in the 'looking good' stakes. Oh, I forgot, we're all girls here, no men to intrude!

Take heart, Annie, and start somewhere: you will feel better for it. They're all small steps, but they do help. Do it after you move and you feel settled. (apologies for hectoring tone - have been to pub and had lots of lovely beer!) Dreamdaisy
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Thanks, DD but I have tried and it's just pointless. I don't know the character you refer to 'cos I don't watch telly, but I never could sew for toffee and now my hands wouldn't let me anyway.

If I thought I could get some decent clothes to fit I might make the effort but I've searched everywhere (including sites for maternity clothes) in the past.

No point in bothering any more.

Annie
  • dreamdaisy
    It's an ancient series, dates back to the early 80s I think (strewth, I feel old now). Don't give up. It's the little things that make all the difference. Dreamdaisy
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    I have two ten inch scars on me, the belly and my left knee. How the hell are they sexy? ( yup, I know, weirdo's site on interweb somewhere but . . .).

Have a scarred belly myself!!!! The first was from my first ceasarean (that's a smiley mouth) the second is my appendectomy scar when I was 12 weeks pregnant with my second child (that's a winking eye) :wink: but sadly when I gave birth to my third one the Dr wouldn't give me a second eye on the other side as he did my ceasarean and insisted on cutting along the first scar! Unfortunately he wasn't very steady handed and didn't cut exactly the same so now my belly looks like a winking one eyed drunkard who is belching!!! Goodness me my Hubby must really love me!!! LOL :lol::lol::lol:
  • dreamdaisy
    Mine's vertical, from just below the navel to the top of my mysterious area, the result of an emergency slash and grab to remove a 3.5kg ovarian cyst that had twisted on its stem and cut off the blood supply to itself and my right ovary. Astonishing pain, and I didn't even know it was there - just thought I was fat. Oh well . . . Dreamdaisy