struggling newbie

polly1985
polly1985 Member Posts: 70
edited 2. May 2010, 03:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
After 5 years of pain the doctors finally found the problem, arthritis in my spine. Im 25 this year. I changed gp's following a move 2 different town and it was the best thing i done. Id been told 4 years the pain was in my head and nothing was wrong. Id been back and fore with knee pain,hip pain and foot pain but in was never investigated. Now with a change of gp im being refered to a rheumatologist as they think i have rhematoid arthritis in my other joints. Although readin all the info has been daunting!! Im a qualified nurse and love my job, although it has caused me problems when pain starts but luckily i have an understanding boss. does anyone have any advice, hints or tips 4me??

Comments

• margareth64
    margareth64 Member Posts: 148
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    polly1985 wrote:
    After 5 years of pain the doctors finally found the problem, arthritis in my spine. Im 25 this year. I changed gp's following a move 2 different town and it was the best thing i done. Id been told 4 years the pain was in my head and nothing was wrong. Id been back and fore with knee pain,hip pain and foot pain but in was never investigated. Now with a change of gp im being refered to a rheumatologist as they think i have rhematoid arthritis in my other joints. Although readin all the info has been daunting!! Im a qualified nurse and love my job, although it has caused me problems when pain starts but luckily i have an understanding boss. does anyone have any advice, hints or tips 4me??

Hi
    Im a care asistant, cant spell today??? So i know how hard your job can be. This website is brilliant without it id be lost. Are you on sick leave? Im new myself ive found lots of info and help on this website. Ive OA and had pain for long time it took a locum doc and an emergency appointment ,with visit to hospital and xray 1st inabout 10 yrs!! to diagnose my arthritis. Sometimes new is good :lol: Well im rambling now take care
    margaret :)
    Margaret
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    hi get the right meds that helps give them time to work and stay positive mental attitude has its part to play good luck glad the getting you sorted at last hate docs who say it on out heads or wear and tear no help at all
    val
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hi Polly

Sorry to hear about your pain. I hope they sort out your meds which will hopefully deal with your pain.

I suffer with OA in a number of places .......... my advice to you would be to rest and don't push yourself when you're feeling poorly. Ask for help from those close to you.

Take care and welcome to the forum.

Sharmaine

polly1985 wrote:
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Polly,

Glad you found the forum cus they are a good lot here. I have had oa in my back since I was young..... had back trouble as a teenager, the worse thing back then is so many people don't believe you can have that young so your branded swinging the lead young. For me I was lucky, had a big spinal injury at 26 and they operated 18 months or so later and that's when the oa was rally found and also, thankfully, helped a lot with bone chipping, disc removal and spinal canal widening. It was a full decompression.

I think for me keeping it moving and pushing it helped but it does depend on where yours is and what kind of arthritis you have. I also found building up the muscles as evenly as I can has paid dividends especially now the bones are so bad at doing their job.

Pain relief is important as that heps keep it mobile but muscles really do help there as well. I know how frightened I was back in my 20's but the one thing I promise you its not as bad as you fear it will be. Take care and nice to meet you. Cris x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Polly

I am sorry to read your posting but welcome to the site. We all try to help each other on here as much as possible.

I hope you do not have to wait too long for your rheumi appointment - you have waited long enough for the medics to sit up and listen to you. Seems to be quite a popular reponse that it is in your head when you know it is not but that makes you not wish to keep going back then, doesn't it? It is out of order to say to someone isn't it?

I would think you will be put on some meds to help you and the sooner the better I think for you. Heat always helps my aches and pains and I would not be without a wheatbag that is heated in the microwave. Ice can help with swelling and can also numb pain for a while.

We have to try to pace ourselves which is very difficult especially when you are holding down a job and yours will be physical too. Rest is good, but not too much. It is a fine balance and not easy to obtain.

I wish you well, do let us know how you go on at your appointment.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,900
    Hi Polly.
    i'm sorry you are in so much pain.
    it's good you have now got a new doc who is looking after you.
    i'm sorry i can not help i have oa.
    i wish you all the best this is a lovely site.
    have a look around and go in the cafe you will be very welcome to have a drink or some food.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi
    Have you talked this over with anyone at work? It may be possible, as you'r a trained nurse to move to lighter duties and reduce you hours. I worked as a care assisstant for the council, and they retired me sick and gave me a full pension, but as a nurse, I would imagine that you could perhaps have more flexability and your employers do have obligations in law. Small changes in the way you work, too could make a difference.
    Love Sue
  • polly1985
    thank u all 4 ur replies they have all helped alot. Cant believe how supportive every1 on here is, its great. I hope i get my appointment thru soon. Im still workin but my boss is lettin me do light duties so im really only doin the medication rounds and paperwork, im in a care home so its a bit easier,but im used 2 helpin out the carers with the pesonal care. I keep thinkin they will b speakin bout me behind my back because im not on the floor helping. But i jus physically cant at the moment. I usually start at 8 but my boss is understandin if im a little late it sometimes takes a good while 2 get stiffness an pain eased enough 2 get dressed an walk 2 work. I have read a few things bout the law an wat employers have 2 do, so mayb thats why boss is bn understandin haha. but the other nurses r really good - well most o them, if im really havin a hard time they will swap shifts etc, c we work 12 hour shifts so its not so easy 2 do reduced hours. Em tryin 2 think o wat every1 said now 2 reply, ive a memory like a seive haha. Thank u all again 4 ur replies. :D
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi polly

I am so sorry you are suffering :(

Bit of a hard job too - when you hurt....good job you have a good boss. the staff should regain their respect for you over time - they will realise you are doing what you can when you can.

My only advice and it snot really is that - once you get to see the rheumy and get some decent meds - things should improve quite a bit for you.

The real advice is to keep talking - that is the best way of getting your head round things - fear of the unknown is the worst thing isnt it?

Take care

Love

Toni xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Polly and welcome from me too. :D

You've got a lot to get your head round but at least you've found a good doc who has listened and got you the help you need. :wink: hope you don't have to wait too long to see rheummy and as others have said with the right meds things might be lot better for you with arther knocked on the head!

glad you've got an understanding boss...even it's 'cause she knows you have read up on disability and employer's responsibilities.!

never mind what some of the less understanding nurses are saying behind your back....people like that would be gossiping anyway and you know your need is genuine so ignore them if you can. :x :roll:

let us know how you get on at rheummy.

glad you've joined us and keep posting!

Iris x
  • polly1985
    Thanks 4 ur replys. yeah there has been alot 2 take in an so much i didnt know about an loads that have shocked me a bit. its great 2 have a site where i can talk bout it,sometimes other people who dont understnd how u feel find it hard 2 realise where u r comin from. my parents and brother have bn so good they will listen any time i feel low when the pain is really bad or tell me that they r comin 2 pick me up 2 stay wi them 4 a bit lol.
    most folk at my work know that ive bn strugglin 4 years - i started workin at this place when i was 17 as a carer while doin trainin so them that know me well know im not one 4 takin days off here and there cos i usually go in when i am in pain (not sure if its classed as dedicated or stupid hahaha) but there are a few who jus think cos im 25 that there cant b that much wrong with me. its when they make me feel im not doin my bit with the residents that hurt. but i will try and ignore them. I'l stop writin now as it looks like an essay. haha. so used to havin 2 talk all day long and write that i 4get stop. thanks 4 the help. fingers crossed appoinment not 2 far away

xxxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi pooly

You are right it may well be because you are so young that they think you should be ok.

Good you have history with them and when you get your diagnosis they will hopefully be there to suppotr you and as you know when you get to see the rheumy and get your meds life should be way better again :D

Hope the apt is soon...

LOVE

toni xx