Tonight's the Night!!!

sanmar63
sanmar63 Member Posts: 117
edited 3. May 2010, 11:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
HI Everyone,
Well, tonight's the night!

Tonight's the night I start taking Methotrexate...and I have to admit, I'm nervous. I'm worried whether I'll get any of the side effects that I've read about. Hopefully I wont. :)

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for all the support that you all gave me when I was trying to decide whether to try the MTX.....(So if It does make me ill, I'll blame you lot!!!) :lol:

I'll let you all know what happens over the next few days - and thanks again - to all of you that have reassured me over the past few weeks.

Love and hugs to you all,

Sandra xxx :)

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sandra, good luck. Hope it is a drug that work for you.

Let us know how you get on.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    You won't know 'til you try. I don't have any side effects from meth, but neither does it seem to do very much. We're all different. I wish you well. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Sandra!

good luck with the Mtx. hope it works for you with no side effects. :D

keep us posted!

Iris x
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Really good luck Sandra! A lot of us have been there so know how scary it is. I used to get really worked up when mine was due so my hubby used to hide the tabs in choccy mousse so I could pretend I wasn't taking them! Really hope it works for you Tilly :D
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Sandra, I hope it works as well for you as it has for me. I was in exactly the same state as you when I first took it, but I don't even think about it now! (I've been on it 6 months).

Annie
  • sanmar63
    Hi Sandra

I was wondering how you were doing!!

I had to laugh when I read your post - I wrote a similar thing when I was about to start MTX - thought my head would start spinning and my legs would drop off :shock: :shock: :shock: Needless to say, that didn't happen!!! In fact, I saw my rheumy nurse on Wednesday, and he was very pleased with how things are going - I'm still only on 10 mg per week, and doing really well. My bloods are all good (CRP less than 3), and he said I should continue on 10mg, unless there are any major changes.

Just remember, IF....IF, you get any side effects, ring your rheumy nurse - they'll be only too happy to reassure you, and point you in the right direction. Don't just suffer in silence :wink:

Keep us all posted, and I wish you well.

Love from Lynn xxxx

Oh Lynne,

Thankyou SO much for that.....I've almost been in tears trying to work up the courage to take them - but I've taken them now, and the main reason was your CRP (3).......mine's 37! if I can get mine down by half I'll be happy.
    I Dont know whether its a good idea or not, but I bought a notebook and I'm gonna write everything down (pain/feelings/side effects) etc so that I can see week by week, any changes.
    Anyway, Thankyou, you were one of the first people to speak to me on here and again, youre putting my mind at rest!

Bless You, Love, Sandra xxxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi sandra

i know we cant take em for you, but I wish we could :wink:

By now you've taken your first dose and hopefully you are ok??

Watching this space.....

love

Toni xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Good luck Sandra,

I had to go to the hospital to take mine. I kept putting it off as I was so scared and yes it is so final.My rheummy nurse talked me through it and chucked them down my throat. It was the thought of hair loss that got me but my hair has been fine.
    The sick feeling can be difficult but it does really help with the pain,
    all the best
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hope you are ok Sandra. :) I think it is a good idea of yours to write events and feelings down.

There are many peeps who have been frightened by the thought of starting metho and very understandably too. As you have found out, peeps are looking out and supporting you on here with this. It is a great forum and you know there will always be someone who will answer your thread.

I wish you well and do not hesitate to call in as much as you wish to do so.

Luv
    Elna x(())
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • sanmar63
    Well, its the morning after the night before, and what side effects have I woken up with - NONE!!! :lol:

Here's hoping it stays like this! :D
  • dorcas
    That's great!
    hope it continues that way....some peeps don't suffer from side effects so hope you are going to be one of them. :D:wink:

Iris x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It might be me, but I always assume that I won't get side effects. I'm glad you've woken up ok today, take that as a positive sign! Enjoy your bank holiday weekend. Here's to wall-to-wall rain, sleet, heavy snow showers and fog, the usual BH weather. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • sanmar63
    dorcas wrote:
    That's great!
    hope it continues that way....some peeps don't suffer from side effects so hope you are going to be one of them. :D:wink:

Iris x

Hi Iris,

I have to tell you, I suffer from terrible anxiety and panic attacks - and the thought of all this has made me ill. I was awake at 5 this morning waiting for the dizziness and sickness to hit me - now I just feel as if I've wasted the past few weeks worrying about it. If I hadn't had advice from this forum, I would never have taken MTX, cos all the other info i had was so negative - So Thankyou Everyone!! :lol: Love, Sandra xxx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hi Sandra,

I know I'm late to join your thread but I'd like to say I'm so glad you've taken the plunge and have come through the other side, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that Mtx starts working it's magic for you very soon.k025.gif
    Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • sanmar63
    lindalegs wrote:
    Hi Sandra,

I know I'm late to join your thread but I'd like to say I'm so glad you've taken the plunge and have come through the other side, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that Mtx starts working it's magic for you very soon.k025.gif
    Luv Legs :D

Thanks Legs.
    It doesn't matter that you're late....I appreciate that you've taken the time to give me the encouragment I need. Thankyou so much! :) Love, Sandra xxx
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    sanmar63 wrote:
    Well, its the morning after the night before, and what side effects have I woken up with - NONE!!! :lol:

Here's hoping it stays like this! :D

So pleased for you :D ! Hope it stays that way and that it works for you. Well done for plucking up the courage to try it!!! Tilly x
  • dorcas
    sanmar63 wrote:
    Hi Iris,
    I have to tell you, I suffer from terrible anxiety and panic attacks - and the thought of all this has made me ill. I was awake at 5 this morning waiting for the dizziness and sickness to hit me - now I just feel as if I've wasted the past few weeks worrying about it. If I hadn't had advice from this forum, I would never have taken MTX, cos all the other info i had was so negative - So Thankyou Everyone!! :lol: Love, Sandra xxx

That took such courage Sandra.....I really admire you all the more for doing something that caused you such anxiety beforehand. :wink:

quite an achievement. :D:D

Iris x
  • sanmar63
    Hi Sandra

Hope all is well still - no bits dropped off yet :wink:

One day at a time, eh? Fingers crossed for you (cos I can do that now)!!!! :D:D

Love, Lynn xxxx

Hi Lynne,
    Yep! I've still got all my bits and bobs lol :wink:

To be honest, I'm not quite sure how I feel today - someone keeps hitting me with the 'Tired Stick' - cant decide whether its me or the MTX! All I know is that I'm struggling to stay awake most of the time! (but had the best nights sleep I've had for months!) :shock:
    Tonight I have to take the folic acid.

I'm looking forward to crossing my fingers - my hands look like boxing gloves at the mo!

Oh, dont know if you'd be interested, but Tesco have got an offer on own brand spray sun cream - £5 each, or 3 for £8. I've used it before and its as good as the branded stuff - (I got factor 30) - seeing as i've got a convertable car, and now theres a chance I'm gonna burn, I thought I may as well get some! 8)

Anyway, glad youre thinking of me!! lol

Love, Sandra xxxx :):):):)
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi sandra

You dun it then???

Well doen you!!

I am so releived it has all gone well and i hope it keeps that way and yes....that it DOES enable you to cross your fingers :D

Take care

Toni xx
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Well done, Sandra! I took my first MTX pill yesterday morning and I took my first dose of prednisolone today. Very nervous about both! I feel very nauseous this afternoon. How are you doing?

Sophie x
  • sanmar63
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi sandra

You dun it then???

Well doen you!!

I am so releived it has all gone well and i hope it keeps that way and yes....that it DOES enable you to cross your fingers :D

Take care

Toni xx

Hi Toni,

Yeah, I dun it, and I didn't realise that everyone struggles to make their minds up about whether to take it or not. I thought it was me as I'm terrible at making decisions - The hubby's always moaning about my 'dithering'. haha. :lol:

Anyway, I wish I'd done it weeks ago - but better late than never i suppose. :?

Thanks for getting in touch, its lovely to hear from you again,

Love, Sandra xxxx
  • sanmar63
    princess01 wrote:
    Well done, Sandra! I took my first MTX pill yesterday morning and I took my first dose of prednisolone today. Very nervous about both! I feel very nauseous this afternoon. How are you doing?

Sophie x

Hi Sophie,
    I'm sorry youre feeling off colour, I'm sorry I cant help you with the way youre feeling (tho I took Prednisolone as a child as I've had RA since the age of 1 year) - but I was very young and cant remember any of the side effects.
    All I can say is that - if you want - as we're in the same situation, we can try and support each other through this (the blind leading the blind so to speak. lol!) :roll:
    Although my family are very supportive, they haven't got a clue about we're going through!! bloody useless the lot of 'em! :lol:
    Anyway - let me know how its going later-on,

Love and ((()))'s Sandra xxxx :)
  • annabout
    annabout Member Posts: 3
    Why do people think you will have side effects by the next morning after taking methotrexate - it has to get into your system first. I got mouth ulcers after a while and now my hair is definitely thinning but I have been on the drug for a few years. Another thing is that I have started having vertigo but probably not anything to do with Metho.

Have any of you been told to take Folic Acid to counteract the side effects? If so how many do you take per week? I am only on 2 per week but wonder if it should be more.

Re family: My parents used to tell me to shake myself and I was then at my very worst as I'd only just been diagnosed at age 43 even though I reckon I've had it since my teens as my feet and toes used to ache terribly. I'm 61 now, btw and fatigue is my worst enemy lately - I'm always tired. If I have one good day and do lots then I have to pay by sleeping for at least 3 afterwards!
  • dorcas
    Hi annabout...nice to meet you. :D

I used to take folic acid one day a week but the rheummy uped it to three days a week to counteract side effects. I think it is taken by some peeps every day though.

My understanding was that long term use of Mtx can lead to Folic Acid deficiency and that's why we have to all take it whether we have side effects or not; taking it doesn't interfere with the action of the Mtx.

Fatigue is the plague that goes along with pain & arther! so you are not alone there....x

Sorry your family aren't very understanding. Lots of people don't realise what living with arther and pain is like as it is such a hidden disease to begin with. I guess you'll have given them leaflets to read on arther?
    I have a lovely family who for years didn't really understand the disease either...but didn't tell me to 'pull myself together'. :shock:

I think that's one of the reasons I love the forum....people really do know what it's like so it makes up for others' lack of understanding.

Iris x
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    hi Sandra have just been catching up with your post and would just like to say well done and i hope all the results are positive ones xxxxx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx