Foot advice

josiec
josiec Member Posts: 386
edited 4. May 2010, 06:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,
Could anyone advise me - am now 4.5 weeks post op the scar seems to be healing well and to manually move the joint seems okay. I have more pain when attempting to bend it to walk on, sometimes quite sharp and an area along my toe which has no feeling - I can dig my nails in and not feel it: are these to be expected as just a part of healing? I suspect they are but would welcome your experience. Thanks, Josie x

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Josie

Sorry cannot really help you as have not had a foot op but did your consultant not give your some advice on what to expect post op. When do you see him again - is it 6 weeks?

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • josiec
    Hi Elna,
    Saw somebody last week, wasn't the consultant. He was pleasant enough but a bit sketchy and didn't seem to want to hang around. I managed to pin him down on some questions but he didn't mention much about what to expect other than keep it moving even if it hurts. I go back in 5 weeks. Hope you are okay, J x
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Josie,

I haven't had the same op as you, but I did have operations on my feet as a teenager as I had bunions and I have had a THR.

I had altered sensations in the skin and numb patches of skin - some sensation returned normally, some partially and there are patches around my hip scar that are still pretty numb. I think it is something that only time will tell.

Re the movement and the pain thing - do you have physio? Physio's are much more knowledgeable about this (I think) that ortho surgeons who are just concerned with the bones and mechanics of the joints. If you aren't having physio - you could ask your GP of a referral. Where I live, I have discovered that you can also self refer - they just keep this very quiet!!

I know with knee ops and hips you need to keep doing the exercises and they advise taking pain killers if necessary to enable you to do so. You could try wheatie bags on the foot (usually from 6 weeks) to warm up the muscles, then exercise and then ice to help afterwards.

I had a lot of trouble getting the muscles working in my last THR because I was on a bed rest and then no weight bearing restrictions for months after - the physios used get me to attempt the exercises - I could never move my leg by muscles alone as much as it could move if I was moving it manually - but the physios said as long as I was trying to move it and could feel the muscles tightening to do it and then pushed a bit more ... that was a good start ...

Let us know how you get on.

Speedalong

PS Consultants are masters of evasion aren't they!?!
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • josiec
    Hi, thanks for your replies. I haven't been referred to physio - the doctor showed me how to move the joint and just told me to do it as much as poss, see you in 6 weeks-you know the sort of thing! Its a cheilectomy+ I've had - bone spurs, worst damaged areas of joint and soft tissue release (don't know what the last bit was to be honest!) Am working on getting it as mobile as poss, knowing if this doesn't work it'll be a fusion :shock: . The tricky bit at the mo is trying to walk on it properly and not go on the side as has become my coping strategy for the last couple of years - am working on it!!! Hopefully back to work the week after next - bit daunting!! Thanks x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi, I've had surgery and so I've had pain afterwards, but all operations, even for the same thing, are different and people react differently and recover at different rates. If you could talk to either the hospital or your GP and discuss things you might have more confidence.

I remember the first time I had stiches and I longed to have them out, but when the nurse took them out, I felt my tummy sort of wobble a bit! :shock: :oops: I was frightened to move, but too embarressed to ask for help, until I was dying to go to the loo. I carefully got up and walked slowley up the ward, holding my scar in case it started to split open!!! :oops: :shock: :lol:

I think surgery is scary and and when you have to go back to normal activities its worrying as you feel something you do may cause it to go wrong, but not likeing to bother doctors, as it makes you feel embarressed! Do ask, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. Love Sue :wink:
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Josie,

I am sorry only just seen this...... :oops: I really will have to get new optic nerves :wink:

Mine took ages to settle down and the scars even longer (so did my back scar). The ortho who rebuilt my feet said it can take up to 18 months for them to fully recover from the ops or breaks so hopefully it will all improve for you in time. Keep it moving if you can and well it is still early days eh? Luv Cris x
  • josiec
    Ah thanks guys, knew you would have some advice (Cris I defer to you as the guru of all things foot-related what with your wealth of experience! :shock: ) I did eye the scar with suspicion for a few days (it has the most bizarre stitching method I have ever seen - running stitches down either side :? ) but have made friends with it now I've realised everything is still held together! I did have orthotics as well, which I'm hoping I will no longer need. Now I just need to stop fretting every time it decides to hurt a bit more than usual and realise that's normal too!! Josie :lol:
  • skezier
    Hi Josie,

My feet have had so much work :lol::lol::lol: I just put the chickens to bed and was trying to remember time scales but I think ..... A bone takes 4 weeks to knit together, 6 to mend and months to harden off. They used a fair bit of metal in my ankle and feet and cus of the circulating thing they never took it out. I had reaction to the plates and pins for round 16-18 months and then one day it all settled...... except I still feel them when its cold :roll: :lol::lol:

Oh scars... well done for making friends with yours you know i hate mine to this day, so come on how do you befriend them please? You go careful, its really still early days but in a few weeks you will be so pleased you had it done. Luv and good to see you :D Cris xx
  • josiec
    Hi, today's progress is I've had a go at driving - yay!! :lol: Didn't go too far but was okay, made sure I could stop hard if necessary. Think it being an automatic helps. Having said that about scars, I did have a moment of unease when I was trying some sandals on about what people thought, so obviously somewhere I've got a bit of an issue, but am damned and determined not to care. Anyway, compared to some of you it's tiny at a couple of inches so haven't got any room to complain when others have far more to deal with. Anyway, there's my inner thoughts for the day!! :D Hope you are all okay, J x
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi josie
    ...so good to hear of your progress...driving again.. that is great :D

It does help driving an automatic (although I hate mine) and it does get you back to feeling independent again doesn't it?

scars are funny things...always there to remind you of the surgeon's handiwork! I'm a good healer so mostly mine are just thin white lines now. And they are personal to you so I can understand why you were a bit self conscious when trying on the sandals.....but after all you are still early days after the op and just getting used to them yourself....it will pass!

so glad you are feeling stronger.

(((HUGS)))

Iris xx
  • speedalong
    Hi Josie,

must be great to have behind the wheel again - I'm dreading not driving after my op.

Re the scar - it will fade don't forget and then just be a feint white line. I have loads - on feet and especially hips - I forget all about them and only remember they are there if anyone asks me about them .. (children are especially curious!!) and I have one which is unsightly - I had it as a child and I grew as it was repairing and it is very wide and rather shiny.

My Mum always used to say to get it out into the open as much as possible ... can't remember her theory ... just watch it doesn't burn.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • josiec
    I'm expecting the kids at school to want all the gory details when I go back! My six year old nephew is quite fascinated - he wants an update whenever I see him on the stitches that fall out by themselves! :lol: Funny he wasn't keen on the crutches though!
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Kids have no qualms about asking the most personal questions and the more 'gore' there is the better. :lol::lol:

After my last op my little grandson, Tom who's 4, wanted to see the stitches and was most put out that I had the hand in plaster for weeks!
    When he eventually did get to see (stitches long removed by then of course) he wanted to know if I could open up the stitch line like a zip so he could see the plate & screws!
    his brother Mat (7) put his metal detector over my arm and both screamed with delight when it beeped!

who said operations weren't good fun. :lol::lol::lol:

Iris x
  • speedalong
    josiec wrote:
    I'm expecting the kids at school to want all the gory details when I go back! My six year old nephew is quite fascinated - he wants an update whenever I see him on the stitches that fall out by themselves! :lol: Funny he wasn't keen on the crutches though!

Hi Josie - kids are great aren't they - they ask the questions grownups want to know the answers to, without a second thought. I'd rather have a child asking that a grownup whispering any day. My school children have special needs - so usually want to touch too. I'm currently using one crutch - sometimes two - children and S always want to link arms with the crutch arm .... how weird - I have to tell them to go on the otherside. Most kids want a go with crutches and things ... perhaps your nephew has thought about the implications for himself if he was on them.

Speedalong
  • josiec
    I don't know why - it's funny isn't it? He's 6. Kids at school are pretty good - they know to mind my feet in general (will have to reinforce that when go back next week or ouch!! :shock: :shock: ) and not to grab me in the playground. I'm sure they will want the gory details!! Not sure how to manage footwear yet - feel most secure in trainers but can't wear them all day yet. Sandals are quite comfy but feel a bit exposed and easily knocked! Hmm
  • skezier
    Hi Josie,

Do you remember being like that? I wanted to heal everything when I was a kid.... had this thing about it...... silly but had a whole string of things I took in and did my best for without an ounce of squeamishness..... Hey stood me in stead for the ambulances...... :lol::lol: Mind I was never good with death and burns is my alkalies heel.......

Fancy a game f foot ball? :lol::lol: You hang in there and you know what in a couple of months you will be amazed and hopefully it will stay settled for a very log time. Luv and a ((( ))) Cris x
  • speedalong
    josiec wrote:
    I don't know why - it's funny isn't it? He's 6. Kids at school are pretty good - they know to mind my feet in general (will have to reinforce that when go back next week or ouch!! :shock: :shock: ) and not to grab me in the playground. I'm sure they will want the gory details!! Not sure how to manage footwear yet - feel most secure in trainers but can't wear them all day yet. Sandals are quite comfy but feel a bit exposed and easily knocked! Hmm

Bless him.

I think you should wear something very striking on your feet to remind the kids to be careful. Surely you won't have to do playground duty straight away??? I wouldn't risk sandals at school just yet .... too vulnerable - you need something with more protection. Are you really going back to school quite so soon??!

Speedalong
  • josiec
    I love it when kids show you little scratches and things and reckon they've had the same thing done!! :lol: Have been off 6 weeks which they reckon is long enough so am hoping will be okay. The trouble with going back is that it's all or nothing and you can't really not do some things. Saying that though will have to see how I go on - am hoping to call in tomorrow to see what's what!