what distance

Options
bertyboy
bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
what distance should i be aiming for on walking with my new knee i am using both crutches to get back and forth to the loo and getting up and down stairs in a morning and at bed time doing my exercises the best i can and sit with it elevated , i don't expect miracles having been on crutches for the past 18 months just don't want to over do it but also want to do enough x
I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Berty

I would suggest that you do as much as you feel comfortable with. You should not sit for too long and you should also not be on your feet for too long either, especially standing in one place. It is early days for you yet - have you a physio appointment arranged or do you have to get on with the exercises yourself? A physio is the person who can give you the best guidance on what you should be doing. This is usually arranged for about a week to 10 days after leaving the hospital after the op.

Take care
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    thanks Elna i should be getting a physio appointment through the district nurse is due out to check dressing at some point today that feels a little tight so hope fully she will give me a looser fit depends on my knee bend x
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi again Berty

You will find when you have had the stitches/staples removed (I had stitches and had the thread cut at each end after one week and they dissolved on their own), it all becomes that much easier :D I had no protection on the wound after that. :D

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Hi Berty,

Sorry for the delay in replying to you, but we were short staffed here yesterday. Getting going after a knee replacement involves a lot of work and it's impossible to give general guidance from reading the literature. You will need to rely on the learning you do with the physiotherapist as your healing progresses. You should have lots of our information and you might want to look over it all now perhaps. If you have an urgent question then you should have a contact number at your orthopaedic clinic I would hope?

I'm glad that you are getting support from other forum members too - and all the best from us here at Helplines

Guy