Suitable jobs?

madness1985
madness1985 Member Posts: 293
Hi All,

Ive been going through a tough time and got realli low as my partner is just about to start a new career and its just made me realise how im going to be spending alot of time alone and i really dont want to. I am considering going back to education, i have a place on a Long distance law degree but at the moment im finding fatigue a problem. I have damged feet and can not be on them for long ive also god deformed hands which prevent me from doing alot i find using a pen extreamly difficult. A long with alot of other porblems including weight probs.

So i was basically wondering if any one can suggest a "arthritis friendly job/career"

Thanks in advance

xx

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi, if you are interested in law then go ahead ... if the problem is using your hands to write - you can always use assistive technology and voice recognition software. If being on your feet is a problem - you could sit more and/or use a wheelchair. Why don't you try and arrange some work experience to see what the opportunities are and to have the chance to think how you might be able to work round any obstacles. I think it is better to think what you want to do and how that could be accomplished rather than let arther have the say ... (within reason of course!!)

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dutchess
    dutchess Member Posts: 79
    I think I'd have to agree with speedalong. Is it possible to get careers advice from somewhere? Maybe worth looking on the direct.gov website. Also think you can complete a test where you can answer questions to get a feel for what your of jobs suit your personality/interests etc. Bit like what you may have done at school for careers advice. Once you get an idea what interests you, you can then set about looking at reaching your goal and what you feel is attainable. I managed to do a degree and ma whilst having arthur it was no easy ride but with determination and support (have you applied for disabled students allowance and do you have a disability officer?) it can be acheived. I'm now in employment and thats the difficult bit for me finding the balance. Its individual for us all and what we feel we can manage and also with arthur being so unpredictable with flares etc is quite a challenge. Just stay positive and find a focus and I'm sure you'll suceed.
    Take care
    Luv Kelly
  • speedalong
    Hi Kelly
    do you have a disability officer?)

Tell me more about this ... not for me, but for my 18 year old foster son who has autism ....

Thank you
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    I don't think there is such a thing.... try to focus on the positives if you can find something that you want to do then its an awful lot easier to get motivated through the tough times. I’ve found the thing is with RA that you can usually get to where you want to be going you just might have to take a slightly different route. I know this isn’t entirely true but it is the philosophy I have adopted and it has seen me well. I was diagnosed at the start of my university education just after starting Architecture. I was advised that it wouldn’t be a good idea for me to reconsider. I didn’t! I reappraised the situation, approached the course a little bit differently, took an extra year to qualify (hey what’s 8 years when you were gonna do 7?), got some help & support from the disability service, so fab gadgets (chair/pens/software/hardware etc), got extra time for my exams and mates who helped carry the giant library reference books. I also set up an office at home as well as in the studio at uni so I could take breaks and rest when I needed (it’s a bit of a 24/7 culture so it was a difficult choice to do this but very necessary)
    It was really tough but as a career choice architecture isn’t easy even if you’re in tip top condition. I got through it and have done really well. It still is a continual challenge but I wouldn’t do it if I didn’t love it. The RA has also had some unexpected benefits, in my final year at uni I designed a rehabilitation hospital and wrote my thesis on aspects of healing design, and was told that the insight into being a patient was uncanny lol, and as part of my job I now advise & audit on accessibility issues in buildings/architecture which is much easier when you know what you are talking about.
    Sorry i've gone on a bit, so I guess my advice is to focus on what you can & want to do, then work out how you are going to make that happen/work for you, oh and don’t be afraid to ask for help.
    Good luck
    Chrissie
  • dutchess
    dutchess Member Posts: 79
    speedalong wrote:
    Hi Kelly
    do you have a disability officer?)

Tell me more about this ... not for me, but for my 18 year old foster son who has autism ....

Thank you

Hi Speedalong
    When I was at uni there was a disability officer who was located within the dean of students they helped me with applying for disabled students allowance and working through any difficulties I was having. I'm assuming all higher educational institutions should have one of these or someone appointed to deal with such matters and offer support. I'm guessing your 18year old foster son would still have access to a connexions adviser either they'd be able to meet that remit or signpost you to who would be able to (learning support adviser or special education needs co-ordinator). Also check out the skills and direct gov websites as they have some good info for disabled students.
    Take care
    Luv Kelly
  • speedalong
    Thanks for that Kelly.

Speedalong
  • sarahrockfan
    sarahrockfan Member Posts: 79
    Hi madness1985,
    I'm still looking into the job/career subject atm but I am doing a degree at home with the OU and I do have a DSA. The person That assessed me took all my problems like bad hands so cant write very much or hold a book and suggested what equipment to ask for in the DSA like book holder, dictophone, voice recognition software (Dragon), electric desk a more suitable chair and even suggested that if i couldn't write for an exam to have a scribe to do it. Hope this helps a bit.
    TC
    Hi All,

Ive been going through a tough time and got realli low as my partner is just about to start a new career and its just made me realise how im going to be spending alot of time alone and i really dont want to. I am considering going back to education, i have a place on a Long distance law degree but at the moment im finding fatigue a problem. I have damged feet and can not be on them for long ive also god deformed hands which prevent me from doing alot i find using a pen extreamly difficult. A long with alot of other porblems including weight probs.

So i was basically wondering if any one can suggest a "arthritis friendly job/career"

Thanks in advance

xx