I am New

samone
samone Member Posts: 3
edited 10. May 2010, 12:00 in Say Hello Archive
Hi I am new to this website, my daughters friend said i should try it.
I have the biginings of arthritis in my fingers, they have been bad for about the last 5 or 6 years, but just lately have got alot worse.
my doctor has given me some phorpain gel, to rub into my joints.
and she also gave me some tablets they don't seem to be medication tablets, they are called glucosamine 750mg tablets.
i need to take 2 a day.
if this doesn't work i need to go back to see her.
has anyone heard of these tablets?
I hope that this website will beable to help me.
from
sam

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sam

Welcome to the forum. Gps do prescribe gluco for osteo arthritis. You are right, it is not a drug but more an alternative "medicine". You can but them in health stores and on line. Some people find that they really help them and others do not. I hope they help you.

At least your gp is looking after you and asking you to return if the gluco and gel does not work. Most of us on here have heard of the glucosamine tabs and quite a few take them. My friends husband swears by them. He has oa in his knees. He has just recently been put on an anti inflammatory, Diclofenac too. He probably would have been put on these earlier but took his time going back to his gp. :roll: :lol:

Do join us on the other zones. This is more of an introductory zone. You will find most of us on the Living with Arthritis or Chitchat zone, or flitting from one to the other. :)

Hope to see you posting again soon,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Hi Sam

A warm welcome from me. The people on here are nice and friendly.

We all try to support one another, giving tips and offering advise. We do that mostly in the LWA Zone.
    We also like to relax also have some laughs too. We do that on the CChat Zone. There are always lots of topics to post on.

We also have a cyber cafe where you can eat anything you are not supposed to also have a cuppa and a natter and meet some of us. You will be most welcome there too.

I hope you like the AC Forums as much as I do. I have made lots of friends since I have been here.

Well I hopw we see you posting again very soon.

love Trish xx
  • madness1985
    madness1985 Member Posts: 293
    Hiya,

Welcome to the site :). Im your daughters friend! This site has been great for me i have RA and everyone is so supportive and helpful they are a great bunch!

I hope you find the site useful,

take care
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Sam,

A welcome from me as well (Madness well done for telling her :D ) they are a good lot here.

I don't use glucosamine now as my bones are mostly 3 rd stage or end and I need prescription drugs now but I do know it can work very well for early onset and works to some degree for 2 nd stage for some people so I really hope you find it helps you. Nice to meet you. Cris x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi Sam

Good to meet you :D

you are very welcome and as you will have heard via Madness - this is the place to be if you have any form of Arthritis....

As the others have told you there are various forums here - take a look around and join in where you want to - you will be made very welcome.

Look forward to seeing you again.

Love

toni xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Sam
    A very warm welcome from me, you have come to the right place, the people on here are so supportive and very friendly.
    Come and join us in chit chat, we are a bit mad, but it dose help :wink:
    Hope to see you posting more very soon.
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Hi Sam - and welcome! As everyone else has said this is a very friendly forum and you will have lots of opportunity to meet others in a similar situation and to share your experiences. Tilly x
  • samone
    samone Member Posts: 3
    Hiya,

Welcome to the site :). Im your daughters friend! This site has been great for me i have RA and everyone is so supportive and helpful they are a great bunch!

I hope you find the site useful,

take care
    Hi my mad daughters friend, thanks for telling her the website for me.
    my fingers are so sore they throb alot of the time, my wrist is also starting to hurt.
    the tablets the dr gave me haven't started to work yet, but i'm willing to give a try.
    the cream doesn't seem to help at all.
    what sort of things do you take for your ra?
  • tjc123
    tjc123 Member Posts: 139
    :D Hi everyone im a newbie who has early RA. Im having a flare up at the minute & Im looking forward to chatting to you all.
  • madness1985
    madness1985 Member Posts: 293
    Hi,

Im on Steroids (pred 7.5mg a day) but these are being stoped soon because i also have Techtrology of fallots (heart condition) and its not safe for me to stay on them any longer. Im also on hydroxocloquin which is a low drug agan because of my heart condition they havnt yet put me on anything stronger. I also take painkillers.

I have ra in my fingers, hands/ wrists/ feet, they suspect Jaw and a few other places have some signs. As my rhmertologist says im a complicated case!

I had the gel 2 years ago and it was useless but they like to try everything! If things dont improve go back to you gp and give them hassle. It took me weeks of seeing my gp daily at times to get the help i needed!

Take Care
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Hi Sam and welcome to the forum, you will find it a great help, with lots of support and genuine care from lovely people. Enjoy yourself in the cafe too, with lots of fun and chit chat. XXX Bubbles.
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).