LACK OF SLEEP

hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 9. May 2010, 14:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
It's me again....sorry to moan but as you know after the 6 weeks of sleeping on my back I was like a zombie.....then the consultant stopped my tamadol....I still took 2 at night.....thought it was my body not his :LOL. but still didnt sleep well...kept waking up with pain. So rang the hospital and they said stop the tramadol and take codeine phosphate..2 at 6pm and 2 at about 10pm and take one up for during the night incase you wake up. Well that worked wonders...after the first night when I woke up took one and went back to sleep. For about a week I didnt waken up during the night.......this is the warning!!!!
One night at 6pm I forgot to take them so just took the 10pm ones and was fine so thought....I dont need the 6pm ones...well that was OK for a few nights but for the last 2 nights I have wakened up several times in pain. I assume there must have been enough drug in my body for a few nights to see me over those nights but now!!!! well ...I have taken 2 at 6pm tonight and will take the 10pm ones in a couple of minutes and see if that helps....wish me luck .....dont want to go back to sleepless nights again.
Love
Hileena

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Hileena, hope you sleep well tonight!! If you don't could be because you are getting used to the dose of codeine you are on. Are you now sleeping on your side? Out of interest if so, are you sleeping on your operated or unoperated side?

My sleep is not perfect but is better since have increased meds and I'm now sleeping a mixture of back and side (using body cushion/bolster as support for leg awaiting op.) Must say now am sleeping a bit better I am NOT looking forward to the sleeping on back thing after my op (12th May) at all!! When I went to pre-op I was told no sleeping on side and no baths for 3 months .... do hope nurse was exaggerating?!?!

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi,
    I'm sorry you are not sleeping, its horrible isn't it? I had that problem and my GP gave me amatriptyline, although they are an old anti-depressant, they have been found to aid sleep and help with nerve pain. They work for me! :wink:

Also, I managed to sleep on my back, as my sides are too uncomfortable, I never thought that I'd get used to it but, I have since and it seems to really help my neck and shoulders! :wink:

Hope you soon find the answer, keep going back to the docs until you find the right combination of drugs. I have tramadol slow release at night and morning and 20mgs of amatriptylne, with paracetamol if the pain breaks through on bad days.

Love Sue xx
  • speedalong
    edited 26. Apr 2010, 04:02
    Hi Hileena, did you sleep better?

I didn't sleep well last night - very disheartened, as seemed to be sleeping a bit better and thought this would last until my op (in 2 1/2 weeks.) Have been having a good run the last few days during the days too and so am disappointed. Not sure if over did it yesterday or why. I had a relaxing evening etc and then woke with the tight pain in my leg, where I feel like the muscles can't relax - tried a short walk, meditation CD to take my mind of it etc but was stuck with it for rest of night.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Hileena

Did it work???

I hope so. Think I have said this before but i have been advised to 'keep ahead' of the pain. In other words take the meds as prescribed for now.

Now isnt the time for reducing them. Time enough when you have healed a bit more :D

Take care

Love

Toni xx
  • hileena111
    Hi
    Thanks for all your replies....I took 2 at 6pm last night as well as 2 before bed and I slept.....I'm not having what you would call the most resful or refreshing sleep but at least I'm not waking up with pain. I went to my GP this morning to tell him what I was doing and ask for some more codeine....he prescribed them and said he had no problems with me taking 2 at 6 and 2 at 10 but when I felt I could decrease them a bit to do so because they are addictive.....so for A while it will be the 4 a day....I might try reducing to one at 6pm later and see what happens.
    I'm sleeping on my side ....both sides....I start on opne side and end up on the other one usually.
    Love
    Hileena
  • abfab1963
    abfab1963 Member Posts: 41
    Hi Helena

I fully sympathise!!!

I had asked the forum what they had been prescribed for night time pain and wakening and I was told Amitriptyline by several people.

So I was at my GP last Friday....after a 2.5 week wait for an appointment and then a 45 minute wait at the surgery.

After I mentioned about my night problems, I said that I had been told about Amitriptyline and how it had been recommended. She asked where I had heard it from and explained to me how it worked and agreed that it is used regularly for Arthritis sufferer's, although no tablets came without side effects.

So......she advised me to take paracetamol!!!! I wasnt a bit happy but felt like she wasnt taking me seriously and rather than speak up, I left the surgery......upset and looking forward to more pain!!!

I struggle to take codeine as I have a sensitive stomach and it only means I have to take omeprazole too....so I dont want to take codeine!

I hope you can get your meds sorted and get back to relatively pain free nights....with a good sleep!

Take care
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Hileena,

I really hope tonight is a better for you and maybe your gp is right and you will be able to get the amount reduced in time? I think the sleep thing tends to go with the bone thing, I can't lie on my back for long and can't turn over s easy now a days so wake every night a few times cus of it but don't you just wish for the days when sleep was easy but going without it was fine as well :wink: I really hope the more time that passes since your op the better you find you can sleep. Fingers crossed for you for a good night, Cris x
  • hileena111
    Hi

Well I'll start off by trying to get down to 1 at 6pm {but not yet}
    The times I partied etc and still felt fresh in the morning....what happened to those days LOL...As one girl on a forum I have signs her posts with her name and then below it is "getting old isnt for cissys" She's so right LOL I might get the dose down but the only thing is I have an appointment with the consultant at the beginning of June and he wants to discuss getting the other hip done.....so I'll be back to square one again if thats the case....he did say I needed both doing.
    Oh well ..wont worry about that until June
    Love
    Hileena
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Hi Hileena

After waiting and looking forward to sleeping on your side since your op, then still be in pain when you do must be so frustating for you, I am only 2 weeks post op (next thursday) and I know how uncomfortable it is to sleep all night in that one position. It cant help that you need your other hip replacing, I have OA in my other hip too. So lying on the unoperated side will give you pain and getting used to lying on your operated side is giving you grief as well, dont forget its still early days for you and its bound to take time, you need medication to help you sleep, so just getting the dosage right and taking them at the right time hopefully will help you.
    Good Luck with it all.
    Denise.x
  • hileena111
    Thanks Denise
    I slept on my back {propped up} last night because my leg was sore...but didnt sleep well....Oh well I'll just keep trying LOL
    Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    Hi Hileena, sorry your leg was sore and you didn't sleep great again - hope you have more luck tonight.

Denpen - 2 weeks post op? How's it going?

Speedalong
  • hileena111
    Just an update to this post.......The codeine at 6pm and 10pm seem to be doing the trick. I dont take any during the night. I've only wakened up in the night once with pain and that was because I forgot to take them :oops: ......I'm still not having the most restful sleep but at least I'm sleeping......the only thing is I'm so stiff in the mornings LOL but cant have everything and that soon goes with a bit of moving aroun d
    Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    Glad the sleeping is improving. I'm not looking forward to the you must sleep on your back rule ...

Speedalong
  • hileena111
    Hi Speedalong
    My neighbour had her first hip done about a year ago and had an awful time sleeping on her back....much worse than me if you can believe that {all the moaning I did LOL}We had injections to give ourselves for about 3 weeks I think every day after we came out asnd she hated that.
    Well she has just had her 2nd one done {about a week ago} and apparently is sleeping fine...Has had one night where she woke up once, got up and sat in the chair and read for about an hour and went back to bed and slept the rest of the night. So if thats any help to you.....it is to me when he says I have to have my 2nd one done.....gives me a bit of hope
    Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    Hi Hileena, have to see then won't I.

Am dreading those ruddy injections - I remember them coming round to do them each night along with the cocoa. The actual stuff used to sting. Can't see me being able to do it to myself ... oh gee!!

Speedalong
  • hileena111
    Hi Speedalong
    I dont know what you are like but I'm one of thosae people who like to know whats happening and ask questions {I dont believe it i hear you say LOL} wheras Margarat just goes along with everything they tell her to do and doesnt query anything. She said how she hated those injections and how she watched the clock {when she was home} until it was 4.30pm and she had to give herself an injection......I said I did mine a breakfast time and got it over and done with..."Oh no...the hospital did it at 4.30 so I kept on ding it at that time" Blow the hospital...I started doing them at breakfast time and kept on doing them at that time and then forgot about them for the rest of the day LOL but as far as she is concerned doctors are god and have to be followed to the letter. I dont know what shes doing this time!!!
    Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    Hi Hileena - who do you think I'd be like you or Margaret?!!

When S was given meds by the hospital they wrote he had to have them at 6 30a.m and 6 30 p.m every day!!! Who were they trying to kid ... who get's up at 6 30 a.m. unless they have to or they love early mornings?!! So we changed them to a more suitable time - and maintained the 12 hour gap.

Does that hint at who I'll be like. S has some left over magic cream, it it is still in date ... I might end up numbing my own tummy!!!

Speedalong
  • hileena111
    LoL Lol Ok yes I get the point.....and you are right...who's going to get up at 6.30am if they dont have to. I've just had a call from Margaret about Avon I delivered and she says this op is much better than the last one and I asked about the injections....guess what...shes waiting until 6pm every night because thats when the hospital did it and she's counting the hours until that time....|Stupid woman LOL

Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    hileena111 wrote:
    LoL Lol Ok yes I get the point.....and you are right...who's going to get up at 6.30am if they dont have to. I've just had a call from Margaret about Avon I delivered and she says this op is much better than the last one and I asked about the injections....guess what...shes waiting until 6pm every night because thats when the hospital did it and she's counting the hours until that time....|Stupid woman LOL

Love
    Hileena

Hileena - you do make me laugh!!! :lol:
    In the nicest possible way!!!

Speedalong