Boss wants to know what is going to happen...

greeneyedlady
greeneyedlady Member Posts: 25
... over the next few moths. She has postponed my probabtion hearing until my consultant makes some kind of prognosis about whether or not I will need alot of time off. I have just come back from 4 days off and all hell has broken loose. My boss makes the good point that if I am not hear my project suffers and others end up doing alot of work. But I don't have a crystal ball! How can anybody say how well they are going to be in th future?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    That is a completely unanswerable question. I don't know your history or what you do but is there any way you could work from home? The Husband has an assistant with RA and she works from home when she has a flare. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi greeneyed lady,

I take it you are in a 'probationary period' at work but can you say a bit more about what is happening?

I thought from your previous thread that you were working with a more decent employer who knew about and understood your illness and was flexible about your working hours, home working etc...?

Being on 'probation' puts you in a difficult situation depending on the terms and conditions and agreed objectives / expectations.

.......You cannot see into the future or speak with certainty about how your illness is potentially going to impact on your work.....and I would doubt your consultant will be able to either. :roll: so may be you/ employer need to be focussing on supports and adaptations that may help you continue to work effectively?

hope you can get something sorted out soon.

Iris x
  • greeneyedlady
    greeneyedlady Member Posts: 25
    I thought I'd found a supportive emploer, too - until something actually went wrong with my health. Very disappointing.

I am on a 1 year fixed term contract until march 2011, so my probabtion was to have been in June but is now postponed until my consultant delivers some words of wisdom. Very depressing as I thought everything was ok.

And I've just sued my last employer for disability discrimination, I don't want to be involved in another tribunal case.

beginning to think that self-employment is the only way to go.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Self-employment has its perks, in that you control what you're doing, how much of it and when. The huge downside is lack of income when a flare prevents you from working. I missed eight months income at my lowest point to date, and I'm still feeling its financial after-effects. (That was in 2006-2007.) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben