flare up

ritwren
ritwren Member Posts: 928
Is it possible to be having lots of mini flare ups and still have your ESR around 21 and CRP normal. I have PA am on methotrexate and OA and have been having a bit of a rough time of it.
Maybe the methotrexate is'nt working as well as it did at the start. I've only been on it since august.
I'm constantly trying to play it down but it's having an effect on everything, mostly my sleep. Things are not as bad as they were when I was hospitalised last year but it's a constant strain.
I'm totally exhausted and sore most of the time and this past week has been the worst but my bloods are all within the normal range or just at the upper side of normal. I'm taking Tramadol, Temgesic, Celebrex.
I don't know what more I can do. I've cut my hours at work as low as I can but it's not really helping.
Sorry for the rant.
rita

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Rita

Sometimes a rant is necessary and as you have said you are constantly trying to play it down it was probably long overdue. So never apologise for having a rant. ;)
    It sounds like life has been quite stressful and trying to manage everything as normal has not been easy. By suppressing your feelings your body has probably been under more stress and so perhaps this may be a possible cause of mini flare ups. You said you are totally exhausted and sore most of the time and even although you have cut your work hours is there a possibility that you could have a few days off for total R and R to switch off all the stressors in your life? Maybe it would help to talk things through so if you are up to it please feel free to give us a call. In the meantime I’m sure the others will be along soon to give you a virtual hug.

Best wishes

Simona
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Rita,

I am sorry to hear that you are having such a bad time of it with arther :( and I know you have been doing all in your power to keep all the 'plates in your life spinning' including work. That in itself is exhausting and stressful.

Sometimes our blood results do not tell the full story of what is going on with our joints or reflect how painful they are.
    ESR and CRP are the inflammatory markers, yes, but even without active inflammation in the joints, the pain associated with damaged joints remains and will continue to make itself known ...so dear Rita, I don't doubt you are in pain.

Living with constant pain is very debilitating physically and emotionally and worrying about work, reduced hours and how to make ends meet adds to the feelings of exhaustion.

You are on some heavy duty meds but perhaps the balance isn't effective and you need them reviewed by your rheummy....
    Amatriptyline helps with sleep problems and I'm sure there are others that could be suggested by your GP. You aren't on an anti tnf just now....so perhaps you have reached the stage where the anti tnf's should/ could be considered by you/ rheummy?

It's not always easy to take time off work...especially if it would have a financial impact...but if you have annual leave or your employer operates a system of 'special leave' that could be considered? it would give you a break from work, time to rest properly and have your drugs reviewed.

I have rambled on a bit Rita :oops: but am concerned for you and can appreciate how stressful and worrying this is.

I hope that you know how well thought of you are to me personally (I haven't forgotten all the support you gave me) and on the forum. So if there is anything we can do please post :wink:

Love and gentle (((hugs)))

Iris x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Oh Rita I am sorry your having this. I think if there is any chance of you getting some time off to rest up you should. Easy to say but in my case impossible yo do but flower i had a bit of a turn and the gp (the day after cus I didn't phone till then) said that the crohn's and the pa flare had just ransacked my body to the point it went into some kind of shock..... Rest if you can and the sleep, well can you get anything to help from the doctor?

I really hope tomorrow will see you feeling better. ((( ))) Cris x
  • ritwren
    Simona Iris and Cris thank you so much for your replies and support. It means such a lot to know that there are folk who understand what I'm going through. I do keep everything bottled up and find it so difficult to talk about this to anyone.

Cris I'm sorry to hear you're going through such a rotten time as well. It's difficult to keep the balance is'nt it. I hope you're soon feeling a bit better.

I was off yesterday and spent the day in the twilight zone between sleep and wakining and my body feels a bit stronger today. I'm working until 1.30 and will spend the rest of today and my weekend off making sure I rest up. (Very difficult when you have a natural tendency to push yourself)

Iris, thanks for explaining about pain and blood results. It's hard sometimes to get my head around it all. I've got some amytriptyline and will give them a good old shot and see if they will make any difference. I've also gotten out my TENS machine which I'd put away so I'll make more use of it too. I will take the meds more regularly too and see if they will help knock this on the head.
    There is a bank holiday coming up at the end of the month so I'll have an extra day off then. We have to book our annual leave in advance and I've a week booked for June. Not too far away.

If things don't improve over the next week or so I'll take your advice Iris and give the rheumy a ring to see at least when my next appointment is. I would consider anything to help get me through this.

Sorry for rambling on here and thank you so much.
    big gentle hugs always, rita
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Rita

from one nurse to another...

REST UP all weekend and do not attempt housework, washing or anything like that. You are so exhausted you are overtired now so please take it easy. I think you may need to consider some time off if you don't feel any better on Monday. These flares have beenwearing you out & listen to what your body is saying to you. An ESR of 21 may not be high but is still elevated so you are in continual mini flare & that is causing damage. Your health is more important than your job.

Please take good care of yourself

Janie
  • skezier
    Hi Rita,

I so agree with Janie.... you have to rest..... (oh kettles and pots eh :lol::lol: ) Can you have a week out to just do very little? If you can do that cus I promise you my body decided I was going to rest and it wasn't very nice and though I self right well it took 24 hrs to do it :wink: Just letting you know that rest matters and I know that now :lol::lol:

You go careful, stay rested and warm and another ((( ))) and a hope you will soon see an improvement to the flares. Cris x
  • ritwren
    Janie, Cris thank you for taking time to reply and being so kind and gentle with me. It makes me feel like crying to know you all wish me well and have such good advice for me. I promise to take it and will spend this weekend resting as much as I can.
    I rang the Rheumy today and they've given me a cancelled appointment for next week which is amazing and smashing. I do hope he does'nt think I'm wasting his time 'tho as it could be so much worse.
    big gentle hugs to you all
    rita
  • dorcas
    Hi Rita,
    I'm so glad you phoned your rheummy and will now be able to see him next week. That is such a good news! :D
    You are not repeat not wasting his time. :roll: You are exhausted and in continuous pain, not sleeping properly and your meds are not working as well as they did...hence the mini- flares and the ESR creeping up.

Please tell him the lengths you have gone to in trying to manage arther...reducing your hours at work, changes in tasks at work and going to work when you were physically exhausted and in pain
    ...and how arther is impacting on all areas of your life just now.

Make a list of your symptoms since you last saw him (that way you won't minimise how things have really been for you) and ask him what he can now do to help you. x

I do hope that you can rest over the weekend.......don't get dressed! stay in your jim jams...that way you will be reminded that you are on a 'rest break' and will not be tempted to do housework or go out food shopping. :wink:

Take care Rita.....and let us know how you are over the weekend. :wink: much love and (((hugs))).

Iris x
  • ritwren
    Iris, thanks very much as always for your support. What would I do without your good advice. I've done as you suggested and started a bit of a list with points to bring up. I'll bring that with me tuesday and hopefully they can do something to help.
    Just knowing that I'm off for 2 days and not having to make the effort to talk to anyone or keep a smile on my face is such a relief if you know what I mean. I'm taking it really easy this weekend.
    Big hugs always.
    rita :)
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    That's excellent advice from Iris, I will also do the same for my rheumy appt in 8 weeks as I am having probs too.

Rita, hope you get on ok at your appt on Tuesday. Please let us know how you get on

Janie
  • ritwren
    Yes Janie, it's a good idea, surprising really when you see everything written down. Will let you all know how I get on but at the same time I don't want to build myself up for something when most likely I'll have about 5 mins with the Dr.
    rita :)
  • ritwren
    Hi everyone,
    well I had more than 5 mins with the Dr. and he was very thourough (sp) He tells me I have Fibromyalgia as well as inflammation and pain from my PA and OA. The combination of these is what is causing my sleep disturbances and extra pain at the moment. I had X Rays done today and a steroid injection. I have to go back and see him in 3 months.
    I'll have to see how things go and he mentioned putting me on something at night which might help. I currently take 10mg Amytryptiline but it's not helping. I might increase it myself to 20mg. Not sure.
    Thank you all for your help and support as always. I will try to rest more and take regular analgesia.
    big hugs to you all.
    rita
  • dorcas
    Hi Rita,

sounds as though the doc was very thorough and I'm glad he gave you a steroid injection...was it IM?...hopefully, that way you will get some relief for a time from arther in all your troublesome joints. :wink:

I am sorry about the added diagnosis of fibromyalgia. :( but at least it does explain why you have been feeling so desperately tired doesn't it? I'm sure the helpline peeps will be able to tell you more about that condition....x

As as you're having active flares which indicate that your current meds are not working.... did the doc discuss other meds... an anti tnf? (sorry Rita...I'm being too nosey as usual)

Another big question dear Rita.....with all that's going on...should you be going to work... did you discuss that with the doc?

I hope you are better rested after your few days off and can get a decent night's sleep. Sounds a good idea to ask for an increase in the amatriptyline......I'm on 60mg of amatriptyline at night and that does help me sleep!

take care and don't overdo it the next few days after your steroid injection :roll:

Love and gentle ((((hugs)))

Iris x
  • ritwren
    Iris thanks very much as always for your good advice. I'm a bit shell shocked as I know fibro is yet another difficult to treat condition. The only good thing is that it does'nt cause damage to the joints. The pain from it can be very hard to control. I think I'll phone my physio and ask her for an acupuncture appointment.
    Hopefully the steroid injection will knock arthur on the head for a while and have me bouncing around for the next few weeks. :)
    big hugs, rita
  • skezier
    Hi Rita,

Glad he is taking it seriously though.... I hope your not overdoing it still? Hopefully he can get you at least sleeping cus there is nothing worse than feeling unwell and not being able to sleep. Fingers crossed for you and a ((( ))) Cris x
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi Rita,

I realise it can be a shock if you are given another diagnosis. As fibromyalgia often a secondary condition efforts at managing the other causes of chronic pain may ease the fibro in the long run.

And if your sleep is eased, then fingers crossed that may be helpful too.

hope that's helpful

Guy
  • ritwren
    Cris and Guy thanks very much for your words of support. I'm going to have 4 days off after tomorrow and hopefully that will help recharge my batteries. By the time they're over the steroid injection should have kicked in. I don't want to go off work sick as I feel that would be me giving in and I'm still able to put up a fight. :)
    big hugs and thanks again, rita
  • skezier
    Hi Rita,

Just dropping you in a ((( ))) and glad you have a bit of time off. I agree about fighting but have learned the hard way not to fight too much.... I know I will though :wink: Sometimes I am a slow learner :lol::lol: You take good care of yourself and I so hope the jab will work and you get a better tomorrow. Luv Cris xx

Laving a few shortbread and cdm for the help line folk :wink:
  • ritwren
    What does it mean cdm Cris? Thanks for the hugs and support, it really means a lot.
    I'm feeling a fair wee bit easier this evening and do think the steroid injection is kicking in. I'm going to have an early night tonight as I'm up since before 5. Fingers crossed we ALL get a good night's rest.
    big hugs, rita