silent hip

chris7
chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
Hi

http://www.silenthip.com/

I posted this link some time ago just for info, but am now wondering if there is any other information available on this procedure.

I now find my Consultant who I saw for the first time this week is one and the same Mr Conroy and even though I am now 50 he is appearing to suggest I might be a suitable candidate for this. which is totally freaking me out!! :shock:

Apparently I am a bit of a medical mystery as both hips shot to pieces with OA and he can't quite understand how I am still working part time. I only have real pain in one at the moment though the knees struggle too, I think I must disguise my limp very well.

I am on parole for the time being but he is insisting on keeping me on his books and his books only at the hossie and wants to see me in 6 months when he thinks I will be begging for surgery!! He at least is one of the 'we only operate when you really need it' surgeons which is one blessing. No wonder sounds like he is a very busy man.

I think he one of only a handful of surgeons doing these in this Country, he trained in America I think. Googling it only brings up some study in Australia and Germany. Does AC have any more info on these, how many have been done here, success rates etc.

I am such a wimp even the bog standard THR with it's 45,000 a year is scarey enough for me. :cry: I know I can refuse and may not ultimately be suitable for this new one but any info or advice welcome. He kept the visit short this week as was running an hour late, so I didn't have time to ask him anything even if I had had the wit to do so. I really need a panic button right now as only saw him Tuesday and am still in shock!.

Everything seems to be going wrong for me at the moment and this is almost the final straw.
Thanks
Chris

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Chris,

Butting in and leaving you a (((((((((( )))))))))) and also wishing you hadn't been given this news. Its a scary thing to contemplate but if you need it doing and its impacting on your life then, well keep the option open. You wont have to decide in 6 months either, its up to you and he can't make you but he would take good care of you and its very unlikely to go wrong.

From the link it looks like it might be a better type than the ordinary as well. I like the name :wink: Mine could learn a thing or too from a silent one :roll:

Try not to get too wound up about it all. I understand you being scared flower, I didn't say yes when asked if I wanted to go on a list for a thr or a tkr but mine don't hurt too much and I could justify it by the amount of bending and lifting I do so am better with these even though I have lost a lot of movement and rotation..... how ever its possible it wasn't the only reason I said I would wait.

Bottom line Chris did you trust him? I do know from my back and feet you have to trust the surgeon, totally. I don't think you will need to decide categorically in the next 6 months but keep your options open and it in the end boils down to did to did you trust him? I might be using Cornish logic here flower but another ((( ))) and a hope it all sorts out for you soon. Love and some cream for the fairings:wink: Cris xxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Chris
    Has you know Chris, I am on parr with you, and I am terrified so you are not on your own.
    I think it is one of those things, that when it is over with we will say I wished I had done it sooner :roll: :)
    I keep talking to people that have had it done, and take in the positive bits.
    The silent hips replacement sounds very good, but that is up to you, I would want to know how tried and tested it is, find out how many have been done and so on.
    He really sounds like a good surgeon, and if you have trust in him that will help you alot.
    You take care of yourself good to see you back.
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi Chris,

It’s not unusual to be worried about having such an operation, here at helplines we have not heard of the ‘silent hip’, however the National Joint Registry collects information and monitors the performance of all joint replacement surgery, so hopefully they will have some information for you:

http://www.njrcentre.org.uk/njrcentre/default.aspx

So that you can make an informed decision, it is important that you get your questions answered, maybe write them down and take them with you to your next appointment.
    Also as having surgery is a big decision, you may find it useful to get a second opinion so that you are aware of all your options so that you can weigh up the benefits and risks before making a decision.

I hope that’s of some help,

Best Wishes
    Adele
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Chris :D

Just popping in to say how good it is to see you posting again, :mrgreen: .....although I am sorry you've got the prospect of this op possibly on the horizon.

Hope the info and link that the helpline & peeps have given you helps you with making a decision when the time comes!

.....nothing I can add to this except to send you a bucketful of (((HUGS))) and to say I hope to see you posting around the forum.

I for one have missed you!!! take care......

Iris xxx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Dear Chris

Good to see your name on the forum but I am sorry you are in a tizz. When you see Mr Conroy next, you can have a list of questions for him and if I understand correctly, you do not know for certain that you are a suitable candidate yet. Surely there is no harm in finding out if you are or not, because no one can make you do/sign anything against your will. The silent hip is made by depuy, Johnson and Johnson isn't it? That is who made my "new" knees!! :lol::lol:

I am sure, not everything is going wrong for you, Chris. I hope you have been able to enjoy some of this good weather when you are not at work.

Please do join in with us lot, as and when you have time. We miss you. :)

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    chris great to see you on sorry you have this prob and can not help you but want to send you (((hugs))) val
    val
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Chris,

Just dropping you in a (((((((((( )))))))))) and a hope you feeling less worried and life is a fraction easier fr you today.

I really hope that link was helpful and anther ((((( ))))) and a bounce from my little mate who has a special nudge for you.

Love

Cris xxx
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Chris

Good to see your name once again Chris. Chris if this helps a little for you. I have had epidurals for ops. I promise you that it is the best way to have an op a GA makes you sleepy but with the epidural you would not feel a thing.

They sedate you Chris anyway. So if you do need to have an op, please try not to worry over that. You know I will talk to you about if if you want.

Sending big (((((((((()))))))

love Trish xxxx
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Oh Chris, petal, so sorry that you now have this prospect, but the info does look worth following up to see if you are a likely candidate.

It is good to see your name on the forum again, albeit for a not-so-good reason..........do pop into the cafe and chat to us all!

I am fine after the house move, if tired.......but it all went as well as anyone could ask for and the good weather has been a real bonus.

Hope we can look forward to hearing from you again.

Annie
    xxx
  • chris7
    Hi all, many thanks for all the good wishes and hugs.

Apologies for not getting back to this sooner, been a bit brain day the last couple of days and have been at work at the shop today . :?

Adele thank you for the link, haven't been able to fathom it yet as it seems to need registering and passwords before I can get to data, but will have another look again when I find my brain ta. Yes thanks now I know his thinking I will be ready with questions next time.

Cris I am so with you on the thinking that no new hip will ever tolerate what have to put mine through at work even after a 3 month recovery. The sad thing is the main advantage of the silent hip is that is makes it easier to a revision when that is needed in the future. Ye gods I am 50 now, who wants to live forever? :shock: Glad your bad week over, hope sale was ok today?

Lynnie :D ta for the hugs love. I haven't abandonned you and will try get back to you tomorrow. Hang in there.

Barbara Hope you over the shock there a little now. You know I am still at the no way not me stage as you were, so you are giving me strength to think maybe! :roll:

Iris Bless you for all you have done there and the earlier advise. Hugs always good and I am sending some back and hoping you a and coping at the moment.

Dear Elna thanks for everything... well you know what I mean. You have always answered my cries for help so quickly bless you.

Val thanks for calling in. So glad you had a good hol and brought the sun back with you. Can you turn it down a wee bit though!! :lol:

Trish Thanks lovey we didn't go into op detail but I will have my questions next time so don't worry. Will pm again tomorrow. Take care, haven't seen you post today.

Annie, I have been following the move and do hope you are soon settled and enjoying your garden. Rest up a bit first though love.

Sorry this too long but thanks and hugs to you all. One or two mentioned trust and yes I did trust him. He certainly not one to operate without good reason and even said I could slog on a bit with steroid injections if I wanted too. I was just so shocked at his shock when he saw my x rays, never realised I was so bad and in BOTH hips. I guess he would know which was what really spooked me I think.

Thanks again, not quite so in shock now, but still terrified. :oops:
    Chris xx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Chris,

I really didn't want my right hip done either, but in the end the pain, the mobility restrictions and the fact I could no longer sleep made me realise I just could not go on as I was - and this forced my hand to have the op. This was the same 13 years ago with my left hip. You will know when you are ready - because you will be desperate!!

Either then or whenever you feel ready - do your research, write out a list of questions for the consultant and do a comparison chart of the pros and cons of both and make your decision then.

Also, keep reading the forum ... I had got to the point where I was desperate and knew I would have to have the op this time round, even though I didn't want it and then I stumbled across this forum - reading all the positive posts by Hileena, Sharmaine and co post-op really helped me.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • elnafinn
    chris7 wrote:
    Dear Elna thanks for everything... well you know what I mean. You have always answered my cries for help so quickly bless you. Chris xx

:wink::):wink::) I have sent you a pm, dear Chris, a short article I found on the Silent Hip..... you may have already seen it.

Love
    Elna x()
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • chris7
    Hi Speedalong :D

Thanks for calling in here. I am so sorry to have abandonned your thread after my pm to you, but am following you all and was so glad to see you home and safe and with S again. He will be so much happier and so will you.
    You are right I guess I will know when I am ready much as I am fighting it. Mobilty for me is the obvious prob, I clearly do not get the continual pain so many of you have suffered. Often get more pain in the knees than the hip, curious! Though after today I would be ready tomorrow! :cry: I do have bad spells which usually/hopefully go away, flares, cysts whatever :? I have also been following all the threads there are so many hip and knee peeps and they have all been so helpful you are absolutely right on that one. You take care and I hope you have a good recovery. ((( )))

Elna

Thanks for the pm, I now feel a bit of a twit, well alot of twit if I am honest and Lynn will know why :? Computers not always my strong point. In my recent terror and probably fogged by new anti-depressants and other problems here I have been googling. silent hip without the apostrophes. As you clearly did it correctly 'silent hip' it has now brought up a few other links all of which I had missed. :oops: Am grateful you have alerted me to this.

Bless you again, the one you sent was very reassuring and was so nice to hear someone else say all that my Consultant had been saying especailly as she was a happy patient a year on, and in her sixties. :D I confess I did not bother to read those from India and Brasil and have glossed over the one on possible early failure :shock: but will look at them all when I am feeling stronger. Today was bad enough with a bully for a boss and then like the addict I am I looked in on chit chat. :cry:

thanks again everyone. Hugs to you all. ((( )))
    Chris xx
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Hi Chris
    I know of this surgeon Mr Conroy he is excellent. If i needed a new hip I would definately go to him
    Good luck with your descision
    Maria x
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    maria09 wrote:
    Hi Chris
    I know of this surgeon Mr Conroy he is excellent. If i needed a new hip I would definately go to him
    Good luck with your descision
    Maria x
    Oh by the way he does have his own website its www.jonconroy.com
    hope it helps
  • elnafinn
    chris7 wrote:
    Elna

Thanks for the pm, I now feel a bit of a twit, well alot of twit if I am honest and Lynn will know why :? Computers not always my strong point. In my recent terror and probably fogged by new anti-depressants and other problems here I have been googling. silent hip without the apostrophes. As you clearly did it correctly 'silent hip' it has now brought up a few other links all of which I had missed. :oops: Am grateful you have alerted me to this.

Bless you again, the one you sent was very reassuring and was so nice to hear someone else say all that my Consultant had been saying especailly as she was a happy patient a year on, and in her sixties. :D I confess I did not bother to read those from India and Brasil and have glossed over the one on possible early failure :shock: but will look at them all when I am feeling stronger. Today was bad enough with a bully for a boss and then like the addict I am I looked in on chit chat. :cry:

thanks again everyone. Hugs to you all. ((( )))
    Chris xx

Dear Chris

Only just read your reply. Pleased that it was of interest to you. The lady concerned sounded very enthusiastic about it all. I did see the info from India etc but also did not read that. I am sorry to read life is really tough for you at the moment and I agree looking in on the chitchat zone a few days ago would not have help you one iota. Seems to be peaceful now. I do hope things are calming down for you too. Please do join us, you know that you are missed very much. You are of great benefit to this forum.

Love and hugs
    Elna x

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Wahay!!

Chris is here :):)

Sorry about the hip and as usual glad these wonderful guys were able to help a bit :)

Miss you miss you :(

Love

Toni xx
  • chris7
    Just calling in to say thanks again all, and hi again Elna and Toni.

Forgive me being so late with this but thanks Maria, I'm guessing you know someone in North Yorkshire then? Glad you felt you can recommend him. I had found his website thanks and bless him he almost blushed when I mentioned it so I think he is a genuinely caring surgeon.
    I met a few people at hydrotherapy who had had their ops done by him and all were pleased with their progress. Guess I should just stop panicking until I get on list.

Thanks again
    Chris x
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Guess I should just stop panicking until I get on list.

Deciding to have the op is the hardest part, seconded by the waiting to have it. The op is the easy bit .... you just lie there!! Then you are on the road to recovery.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • elnafinn
    chris7 wrote:
    . Guess I should just stop panicking until I get on list. Chris x

Dear Chris,

Yes, you should, my lovely! Even with your name on the list and even when your name is at the top of the list, you can still change your mind. Until you have signed on the dotted line agreeing to the operation, there is no firm agreement.

Love
    Elna x

• dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Chris,

hope you are feeling a bit better and that work hasn't been too tough on you on top of arther doing his worst!

decisions about having ops is always difficult as we are 'electing' to have surgery so it kind of goes against our basic instincts to volunteer for it!
    ...but your Mr Conroy sounds a decent kind of man and if you trust his opinion and he has a good reputation in this 'field' of surgery then your half way there already!

keep in touch and let us know what you decide to do.

Iris xxxx