back to wearing slippers not shoes

illihor
illihor Member Posts: 283
edited 25. May 2010, 10:33 in My child has arthritis
Back in November possibly October she was wearing slippers EVERYWHERE we finally got referred and she got measured for shoes. They finally arrived and the pas few months have been brilliant then a few weeks ago she said her toe was hurting her but it was just the once so I left it.

Over the weekend she's been complaining on and off, she wore the shoes to swimming this morning and had them on all of half an hour before crying they were hurting her so we took them off and let her walk in socks (was indoors) after swimming I put them back on her to go to the car but she wasn't happy at all and asked to be carried.

The minute we got home she wanted them off (couldn't do it herself as her hands are hurting too :( ) and refused to wear them again. Saying they hurt her and pointing to several places including the 4 (2 of them huge) nodules she has on her toes :( Called up orthotics and i'm waiting for a letter for an appointment now hmmmmm but she's not happy and when i told her shoes for school tomorrow she got really upset and said no i want my slippers they don't hurt me :(

So we're back to slippers again. I think the heat hasn't helped at all we can't win to cold, damp/wet and now heat seems to hurt her her thumbs and first two fingers look massive I can't get hold of her nurse or consultant tis not a good time.

Has anyone else had experiences with nodules in how to deal with them etc. Also does anyone else find the heat is sending their child (or themselves) hurting more and being swollen?

Many thanks for listening (well reading) to me ramble and rant away. needed to get off chest.

Michelle xxx

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Michelle, her feet are bound to be swelling in this heat - putting additional pressure on her sore parts inside the shoe. Also of course children's feet grow in bursts ... they might be too small already!! Only skim read your post ... as suddenly realised I'm tired ... does she wear specially made shoes? I used to have hallux valgus/bunions and had to wear very soft shoes with square toes ... might be worth getting her some canvas style or slightly oversized shoes to wear to school until you get this sorted out.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • illihor
    illihor Member Posts: 283
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    speedalong wrote:
    Hi Michelle, her feet are bound to be swelling in this heat - putting additional pressure on her sore parts inside the shoe. Also of course children's feet grow in bursts ... they might be too small already!! Only skim read your post ... as suddenly realised I'm tired ... does she wear specially made shoes? I used to have hallux valgus/bunions and had to wear very soft shoes with square toes ... might be worth getting her some canvas style or slightly oversized shoes to wear to school until you get this sorted out.

Speedalong

yeah I know the heat isn't doing her any good as other parts of her body are swollen :(

Yes she wears specially made shoes with extra insoles to correct her flat foot as well :( Well she wore her slippers to nursery today and they were ok with her attending like that but I can't believe it's just a waiting game for them to send us a letter for an appointment :(