just diagnosed

kay1971
kay1971 Member Posts: 27
Hi, I have been diagnosed as having oa from my doc just a few days ago. He hasnt sent me for an xray but have been referred to a physio. The problem I am having is I cant manage the pain, my doc told me to take brufen and paracetamol which do not touch the pain at all. He also said use pain relief gels, I have used voltirol and sainsburys own and neither have helped the pain.

Is there anything else I can do, the oa is in both knees, I am 39 and have a 3 yr old daughter to look after. I am ok walking but have difficulty when trying to sit down and getting back up again. I have had a letter from the physio this morning to let me know there is a long waiting list and they will get me in if there is a cancellation.

I feel so down and am hoping someone can suggest something to help me please.

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Kay
    I am sorry you have to deal with the on top of being told you have oa, some gps dont seem to take arther seriously, maybe because there are so many people with it.
    You must go back and tell him you cant go on, and that you want something to ease the pain, till you go to physio, and after,
    A lot of people on hear have had a struggle getting the right meds, including myself, so you are not on your own.
    Please let us know how you get on.
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi definitely go back to GP and tell him meds aren't working and you need better pain relief. Be specific and be prepared to explain when pain occurs and how it feels. Pain meds take awhile to get right. Likewise there are lots of different anti-inflammatories too.

Are you using the max strength gels?

I find cabbage leaves really help when my knees swell. Strap them on at bedtime and take them off in the morning - seriously works for me.

Have you experimented with heat and cold - wheatie bags and ice packs - a lot of us swear by them.

Speedalong

PS I would also push for x rays and ortho referral.
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • kay1971
    Thanks for your suggestions.

I am going back to docs on tuesday and will see a different doc this time. and will make sure i get what i need this time instead of being fobbed off. I will also try heat and cold packs and see if they work for me .

I feel happier after reading other peoples stories on here too, i know i am not alone. thank you :)
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi Kay, Thanks for your enquiry to the helplines, I am really sorry to hear of the pain your experiencing, but I’m glad your finding comfort from the forum community. In your next appointment with your doctor, it might be an idea to take a list of the questions you need answered in regards to pain control, and if you feel the pain is really severe ask for a referral to a pain clinic.

You can always contact us on our freephone confidential helpline to discuss pain management techniques in further detail.
    Best wishes
    Adele
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Kay, glad you are feeling more positive - you aren't alone - and the more you read the forum you will start to realise how your arther-problems are shared by many of us. I LOVE this forum it has been of great support to me. Keep reading and posting. Let us know how you get on at the docs.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    Hiya Kay. im newley diagnosed too. oa in my kneck arms/hands feet spin etc and i have also been fobbed off with paracetamol brufen and codydromol so your not alone welcome to the group everyone is so nice and helpful in here. look forward to seeing you around the boards
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hello Kay and welcome to the forum from me too. :D:D
    I'm so sorry to read you are having such bad pain. :( and that your doc hasn't been a bit more pro active in giving you more effective alternatives to the basic analgesics. :?

The helpline and other peeps have already given you such good advice but I just wondered if your doc had done blood tests before he diagnosed you as having OA? as lots of peeps have OA and RA/ other inflam. arthers. (not that I'm wishing that on you!)

.....but, if the doc hasn't done bloods it may be worth your while asking about that tomorrow when you see the other doc?... if you have any of the inflammatory arthers then you may need anti-inflammatory meds to help control the disease and deal with the inflammation (and pain) that goes along with it.

hope I haven't complicated matters...but as your doc hasn't seen fit to have xrays done it did make me think that he hadn't been very thorough and could have missed other signs/ symptoms. :roll:

hope all goes well tomorrow...we will be thinking about you. :wink:

Iris x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Kay,

Welcome from me as well, they are a good lot here.

I agree with the others and your gp hasn't been too helpful.... i think you need different pain control and maybe different anti-inflammatories as well.

I got a fair bit of oa and well its horrible but decent pain control really does help.

As the helplines have suggested make your self a list and don't be afraid to ask the doctor why if they are not as helpful as they should be. I think xrays are needed as well and if its oa a referral to the orthos might be a good idea.

I really hope you can get some of it sorted and find a bit of help. nice to meet you Cris x
  • kay1971
    Well been back to docs, now having blood tests done next week, they still wouldnt give me any pain killers tho. She said its because i pay for prescriptions. She told me to buy diclofenac over the counter and take with paracetamol. I hope this helps cos i cant take much more.

I am still trying to be positive but its hard. Thanks for all your advice it does help and i am so pleased that i found this site.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Dear Kay,

I'm sorry to hear that your pain is causing you such distress. I just want you to know that you would be very welcome to ring us on our freephone and talk things over. You don't have to face this alone, as I'm sure the forum members are trying to show you.

There may be some options to explore that you have not yet talked about, and also you may just want someone to listen. Either way we are here if you would like to talk.

all the best
    Guy
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    kay1971 wrote:
    She said its because i pay for prescriptions. She told me to buy diclofenac over the counter and take with paracetamol. I hope this helps cos i cant take much more.

I am still trying to be positive but its hard. Thanks for all your advice it does help and i am so pleased that i found this site.

at least she not just throwing meds at you if they are cheeper over the counter then that the way to go they play the wait and see game the more you complaine the more they try different meds if these do not work go back to gp and tell them you need something stronger good luck we are here for you val
    val