edited 5. Jul 2010, 19:42 in My child has arthritis
its liquid a liquid and she gets agited and fights me HELP

Comments

• anniesmum
    anniesmum Member Posts: 102
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    flgirl wrote:
    its liquid a liquid and she gets agited and fights me HELP

I have just posted a reply in the wrong box - look at the message below your subject. I am a bit new to this and a techno phobe. So sorry. Lucy
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi,

I would try bribery and corruption - chocolate/stickers/shiny coins ... whatever her "currency" is. If possible schedule her meds time just before a favourite activity ie watching favourite video/dinner time or whatever so you can focus on the "now/then" aspect - as soon as you take this you can ...
    At other times I would do role play - let her use an empty syringe/spoon whatever you use) to give meds to teddy etc Role play teddy playing up and see how she gets him to take it .. then try the same method on her!!

You might end up having to force her take it for few doses and then instantly reward her for taking it.

Are you allowed to mix it with anything to mask the taste?

Some children take meds better infront of others ie family, friends, siblings .... though she might be bit young for this to work.

Good luck, remember however mean you feel - you are doing it for her benefit. With a bit of luck she'll soon be doing it herself.

Let us know how you get on.

Speedalong

PS Bear in mind this irefusal is only a phase - how ever long it feels just now.
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • flgirl
    flgirl Member Posts: 4
    THANK YOU! i put it in a cup with a lid and straw and with a 1/2 cup of apple juice and 2 ice cubes. bribed both times with a barbie movie and picking flowers outside!! LOL its only been two days on the meds.... i need to get creative with the bribes! perhaps an M&M or two afterwards, just like when she was potty training. so glad i found this site! im in the USA... just stumlbed apon this site and i love it. we don't feel so alone - nice to be here thanks again! :)

speedalong wrote:
    Hi,

I would try bribery and corruption - chocolate/stickers/shiny coins ... whatever her "currency" is. If possible schedule her meds time just before a favourite activity ie watching favourite video/dinner time or whatever so you can focus on the "now/then" aspect - as soon as you take this you can ...
    At other times I would do role play - let her use an empty syringe/spoon whatever you use) to give meds to teddy etc Role play teddy playing up and see how she gets him to take it .. then try the same method on her!!

You might end up having to force her take it for few doses and then instantly reward her for taking it.

Are you allowed to mix it with anything to mask the taste?

Some children take meds better infront of others ie family, friends, siblings .... though she might be bit young for this to work.

Good luck, remember however mean you feel - you are doing it for her benefit. With a bit of luck she'll soon be doing it herself.

Let us know how you get on.

Speedalong

PS Bear in mind this irefusal is only a phase - how ever long it feels just now.
  • stephibabe2
    stephibabe2 Member Posts: 60
    You could try somethign strong tasting to mix it with for example milkshake, orange juice, something along those lines
    just a little bit in a cup mixed with the medicane.

Use anything that works, best of luck x x
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    WELL DONE both of you!!!

:D:D:D

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hi flgirl, nice to meet you. I don't check this thread very often as I don't have children but if you need to sound off to other adults who do, try the Living With Arthritis forum for the moaning and the ChitChat for a giggle - I hope - sometimes humor travels, sometimes it doesn't. Hope you liked my American spelling just for you! (And that is meant kindly.)

We have another American lady who posts occasionally, so you really are not alone here! Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • jiamum
    jiamum Member Posts: 1
    We mixed a different medicine with a thick apple purée and it worked wonderfully.

My 3.5 yr old daughter actually likes taking the naproxen because she realises how much it helps her. We fill the syringe and allow her to squirt it in. Then she gets a drink. It helped that the first few times she saw that my sister also takes medicine, followed by a drink. In the long run I think one is best of getting the child to take the medicine in the simplest way possible given that it could be a long term thing.

Best of luck.