Update on hip op recovery (op 12th May)

speedalong
speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
edited 14. Jun 2010, 10:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I am typing this in bed and just lost the whole thing .. and am starting again ....

My hip is working well - the swelling is improving and only doesn't seem to go down right at the top/ abdomen and derriere!!! I can walk pain free using my sticks and or furniture and on occasion one/no sticks for a few steps. Standing is painfree too - bliss!!! I do the stairs easily unless tired - using one crutch and the banister. The scar is scabby but otherwise fine.

I'm doing my physio but not managing it 4 times a day ... more like twice a day. The hardest exercise is lifting leg out to the side. I can side step well though -so guess it will come.

My main challenge is resting sufficiently. I over did it Sun and Mon and really paid for the next two days - so hopefully have learnt my lesson. I need to schedule in a lie down and snooze into my daily schedule.

My recliner is brilliant and worth every penny.

My hired mobility scooter arrived today. I only had a quick test drive/lesson as my friend was coming over to help with chores and take me out - yippee. I'm a bit worried the scooter will tip especially on slopes and when doing 90 degree turns and/or manoevering (sp?) but have been assured it wont. I think I'll quickly gain confidence. Just knowing it is in the garden makes me feel less helpless and less trapped. House arrest does not suit me.

S is still coping brilliantly. He was at our friends Tues to Fri eve which has given me a chance to charge my batteries and rest. He had a fab time, my challenge will be to keep him entertained without wearing myself out in the process .... He and my friend arrived grinning broadly - he to be home and her at the prospect of getting her life back to how she knows it - she has been supporting S since 12th May - what a truly fab friend. It is all credit to our careful planning and her and our other friend that S has coped so brilliantly.

Well really should try and get some sleep ... if only these TED stockings weren't making my feet SO hot!!!

Speedalong
I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Speealong,

Glad its going so well and that S is home now. You needed that bit of time though flower.

Fingers crossed you can soon find the side lift easier and that you will be at an end of the house arrest soon.

Hope you got some sleep and keep doing o well. Luv and a ((( ))) Cris xx
  • dolittle
    dolittle Member Posts: 240
    Hi Speedalong,

I feel ashamed - for months I have been down in the dumps, feeling sorry for myself and not paying much attention to anything. Then I read your post. I've not know that you've been to hell and back, and yet you took the trouble to notice my 'bleatings' on another thread. Wow ... now that's caring with a capital C. Reading your post makes me feel guilty for complaining and I feel very small ..... but don't worry - it's given me the boot up the backside that I needed ...Ta!

What a wonderful friend you have, but I would suspect that you have also been a good friend to her.

Know what you mean about the scooter. First time I went out on mine I got stuck in someone's garden gateway and it took me a devil of a time to get out. She nearly tore her net curtains off the window in an effort to see what I was doing. I think she had visions of me destroying her garden! You'll get used to it in no time.

Hope you pick up day by day (you've certainly picked me up) and you find life a bit easier as they pass. (((( )))))s
    Do
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Hi Speedalong

Glad to see that you have got over your busy few days last weekend! Your friend does sound fab and no doubt S enjoyed his little 'holiday' .

Are you doing much walking outside? What pain control are you taking?

I am 3 weeks post THR now and am a bit worried about whether my recovery is going to plan. I am having quite a bit of 'discomfort' in my new hip area - particularly in the outer thigh and also occasionally in the groin. I'm not sure if I have done something to set it off (eg inadvertently bending or twisting) or whether it is normal for this stage of recovery.. I am actually in more discomfort now than I was last week!!

I'm just taking 2 paracetamol every 6 hours - that's the only painkiller I can tolerate.

Any advice from other THR people would be wecome!!

Best wishes

Marion
  • fester
    fester Member Posts: 98
    Hi Speedalong sounds like everything is going well to me (veteran of 3 thr's and 1 shoulder replacement lol). Agree with you about the recliner mines a god send as find it difficult to get comfortable in any chair unless i'm in a reclined position.
    You can expect a few aches and odd twinges around the joint area now and again but should'nt be anything to worry about otherwise your doing well from what you say.
    Expect to feel abit awkward on the scooter, i still do but its a necessity and besides it will increase the lifespan of your hip joint.
    Good luck and my best wishes
    Steve
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Excellent news speedalong - my congratulations to you. Keep up the good work! Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Speedy

What an upbeat message from you. :D Such a joy to read. :D You are doing fantastically and you arranged everything so well before the op and you have a wonderful friend. We only need one or two really true friends, don't we?

So pleased all has gone well with the operation and you in return are carrying on the good work. Being of such a positive personality, I believe, helps tremenduously with recovery. It is good to have a goal and you surely have one, to get better for yourself and S in record time. I am sure you so very proud of him as he, you.

Keep up the good work you are doing just great.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • speedalong
    Hi Do,

don't ever down talk your own problems - we all have our own battles with arther which make our lives much harder than we deserve. I love this forum it makes me feel less alone in my battles with arther and I enjoy helping others as much as the support you all offer me.

I LOVE your scooter story!!! It is raining here today - typical!!! Shall have to experiment at wrapping my legs and bottom in bin bags!!! I'd better get in a lot practise this weekend as during the week there is a lot of building work happening on our estate at the mo so I can see me getting a fair bit heckling if I make any dreadful blunders ....

Now S is home my rehab has begun in earnest ... as long as I can balance enough stimulation for him with enough rest for me we'll be ok. Life certainly isn't dull with him around!!!

Sounds like you are in for a run of positive thinking yourself - keep posting.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • speedalong
    Hi Chris,

now the swelling is improving - another fab friend put a row of pilllows under the mattress at the end of my bed which has really helped with the swelling and I don't even feel that I'm slightly sloping (she is very good at positioning matter altogether,) there is more room for my bladder and despite the sleeping on my back rule - once I'm asleep - I'm sleeping much better. (thought I'd never sleep well again!!)
    Shame about the weather - pouring today - typical - shall have to see what I can invent with bin bags to keep me dry on the scooter!!

Speedalong
  • speedalong
    Hi Marion,

Hi Speedalong
    Are you doing much walking outside? What pain control are you taking?
    I have walked to neighbours to ask them to put out rubbish etc and I have walked on the two occasions I have been out in the car with friends (but take wheelchair in the boot too) I potter round the house lots too. I need to start building distance - but am also now careful not to overdo it as I can't risk it - there can be no rest days now S is home. I will be able to experiment more with distance a week Tues when he goes back to school as I will be able to push the walking and then rest before he comes home. My walking is better technique wise than before the op, though will be even better once I get my new insoles - the op has made my leg length discreprancy a bit worse unfortunately.
    I am 3 weeks post THR now and am a bit worried about whether my recovery is going to plan.
    Yes, I know what you mean there seems to be no guidance/follow up/support does there?!!
    I am having quite a bit of 'discomfort' in my new hip area - particularly in the outer thigh and also occasionally in the groin. I'm not sure if I have done something to set it off (eg inadvertently bending or twisting) or whether it is normal for this stage of recovery.. I am actually in more discomfort now than I was last week!!
    At a guess I would say you are probably attempting to do more and the muscles are complaining a little. When I overdid it those two days my lege really regressed. I'm also getting wierd sensations on my outer thigh which is the same as last time and I think is the nerves gradually coming to life again. My skin all around the op site has altered sensation.
    I'm just taking 2 paracetamol every 6 hours - that's the only painkiller I can tolerate.
    I'm bearing the forum advice and "staying on top of the pain," I take my anti-inflammatory tab and 2 paracetomol at breakfast, 2 paracetomol after a late lunch, 2 paracetomol or one paracetomol and one solpodol (30/500) at tea time and my "normal" night dose -as sleep is paramount (tabs which add up to 2 paracetomol and 45mg of codeine.)
    Any advice from other THR people would be wecome!!
    I second that!!!

keep posting, Marion - it is good to have someone to compare notes with ...

Speedalong
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,900
    Hi Speedalong.
    i'm pleased you are getting on well with your thr its comming a long well
    you have some good friends that have helped you
    dont worry a bout your scoota it will not tip.
    the only way is if you over balance it if you turn
    to quick.you make sure when you go down a slope you have all wheels on the same level.
    have you got a 3 or 4 wheeled.
    i have a 3 wheeled one.
    i think you have done very good.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • marion1952
    Hi Speedalong

Thanks for your helpful response. Despite my best intentions to take things steady, I think perhaps psychologically I am trying to 'run before I can walk' ... I am also pinning so much hope on this hip replacement giving me back my mobility that I am getting anxious about every twinge in case it's a sign of dislocation!

I think we have to remember that we have had major surgery only a few weeks ago and it's going to take a little time for things to feel 'normal.'

Look forward to hearing more about your progress over the forthcoming weeks..

Marion x
  • speedalong
    Hi Joan,

I requested a 4 wheeled one (though I know the 3 ones are very safe ... I knew I'd be more confident with a 4 wheeler.) I'm keeping it in the garden which is on a slope, I can drive straight in but have to turn it to go back out again, so have turn on a slope ... have got another lovely friend to move my tubs etc to make more room, will have to reverse it on the flattest part of the garden. I'm very motivated as I don't do house arrest well, so I'm sure I'll get there - it's just a bit harder to focus on a new skill when I'm also watching S.

Speedalong
  • speedalong
    Hi Marion,

that is the problem with no real follow up - we start to analyse every twinge - but you WILL get your mobility back - that and no more pain is why the NHS perform such an expensive op on us!!!! I'm glad we can discuss our progress over the weeks. Take care.

Speedalong

PS not managed any physio yet today ... but have been helping S make a salmon quiche from scratch (he found a recipe in last weeks weekend mag ...) so did lots of walking and standing and stepping without my crutches ...
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    hi Speedalong its great to hear you are doing so well and things with your son are calm what a good lad your quiche sounds lovely x
    your name really suits you now you have your speed machine xxxxx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • speedalong
    Thanks Berty.

How are things going for you?

Speedalong
  • wendgro
    wendgro Member Posts: 296
    Glad to hear you are doing ok with your THR oh what memories it brings back to me I had my THR 3yrs ago and TKR 2yrs ago my hip is fantastic I found that if I said slowly slowly gently does it it got me through all the problems that you incur having joints fixed. Think what you do take your time and don't be rushed and you will get by quite quickly. My other hip is on it's way out now so that will be the next for me.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Marion,
    I think all of us that have had THR know the feeling of worrying about every single little twinge. I know I certainly did an like speedalong says with not much aftercare its hard to know what is normal and what isnt.
    3 and a half months post op I'm starting to rtelax more and not worry about every pain. I'm still stiff and sore when I get up in the morning. As for paracetamol thats all I'm on 2 4 times a day. EXCEPT I rang the hospital after about 8 weeks when I was still waking up with pain so now taking codeine phosphate...2 at 6pm and 2 at 10pm...That seems to stop me waking up in the middle of the night with pain. You'll get there. dont worry....{says she who is seein g the orthopaedic surgeon on Friday to discuss the 2nd one LOL}
    Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    Hi Wendy,

that is exactly what drove me mad the last time (13 years ago) although at least this time I'm allowed to weight bear which is a big improvement. With my last op I was still in hospital at this point!!!! How things change. I tire quickly and so know I can only go at the pace my body allows. It's harder to pace myself this time as I also have S to care for, but on the other hand he is able to help with some of the physical tasks. Will be easier once he is back at school.

Speedalong
  • ikesother
    ikesother Member Posts: 171
    Hi Speedalong, Ive been away from the forum for a while, so I read with interest that youve just had a THR at the grand old age of 43 :wink: I had my Thr last year at 42, Im nearly 10 months post op, and what a difference the op has made! Ive had a few hiccups, op cancelled several times, then recently thought it was disclocated( it wasnt!), but its been well worth it, hard work to get "fit" but worth the effort. I videoed myself walking pre op, then post op and the difference was stark. You seem to be coping really well, as long as you "behave" and "dont try to do too much" :roll: I got fed up of well meaning relatives telling me that! I also found that everyone recovers at different rates regardless of their age. So take care, and I will keep track of your recovery with interest. Best wishes jk :wink:
  • speedalong
    Thanks Jk.

Would you say you are now able to do all you want to do?

Can you remember at how many months your leg would let you walk as far as you wanted it to<

I had my other hip done at 30 ... I suffered some nerve damage and despite all my best efforts (physio, hdyro, aquagym, swimming, tai chi and yoga ...) never managed to get the muscles back to their former glory. It is pain free though and fine for walking etc My latest op - other leg - is more promising already!!!

Speedalong
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Hello speedalong,

I am so pleased to read that standing is less painful now. The pain can be so unbearable it is a relief not to feel like that anymoe. There are still obstacles to overcome but it sounds like your on your way girl!

You do have some amazing friends but i am sure you have earnt their respect and they are more than happy to help you.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • speedalong
    Thank you Elizabeth, I am more comfortable helping than being helped - but I could not have got this far without my friends ... I am truly lucky.

Speedalong
  • marion1952
    Hi Speedalong and Hileena

Many thanks for your reassuring comments of yesterday. I feel a bit more relaxed about things today. I am making sure I take my paracetamol every 6 hours - it IS important to 'keep on top of the pain' - as you say.. I think I have such high expectations of my THR that I am forgetting I am not yet 4 weeks post op and it was a big operation and I must expect some 'twinges' !!

Hope you are all having a lovely day - it's sunny and breezy here in the North West..

Marion x
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hi S

Glad to hear that yuo're getting on so well.

Good luck with the scooter - it should make life easier for you.

Regards
    Sharmaine
    XX
    speedalong wrote:
    Hi I am typing this in bed and just lost the whole thing .. and am starting again ....

My hip is working well - the swelling is improving and only doesn't seem to go down right at the top/ abdomen and derriere!!! I can walk pain free using my sticks and or furniture and on occasion one/no sticks for a few steps. Standing is painfree too - bliss!!! I do the stairs easily unless tired - using one crutch and the banister. The scar is scabby but otherwise fine.

I'm doing my physio but not managing it 4 times a day ... more like twice a day. The hardest exercise is lifting leg out to the side. I can side step well though -so guess it will come.

My main challenge is resting sufficiently. I over did it Sun and Mon and really paid for the next two days - so hopefully have learnt my lesson. I need to schedule in a lie down and snooze into my daily schedule.

My recliner is brilliant and worth every penny.

My hired mobility scooter arrived today. I only had a quick test drive/lesson as my friend was coming over to help with chores and take me out - yippee. I'm a bit worried the scooter will tip especially on slopes and when doing 90 degree turns and/or manoevering (sp?) but have been assured it wont. I think I'll quickly gain confidence. Just knowing it is in the garden makes me feel less helpless and less trapped. House arrest does not suit me.

S is still coping brilliantly. He was at our friends Tues to Fri eve which has given me a chance to charge my batteries and rest. He had a fab time, my challenge will be to keep him entertained without wearing myself out in the process .... He and my friend arrived grinning broadly - he to be home and her at the prospect of getting her life back to how she knows it - she has been supporting S since 12th May - what a truly fab friend. It is all credit to our careful planning and her and our other friend that S has coped so brilliantly.

Well really should try and get some sleep ... if only these TED stockings weren't making my feet SO hot!!!

Speedalong
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Marion,
    You are expecting too much LOL like me....I'm now 3 and a half months post op and am so sore today...Never mind
    N orth East is absolutely freezing as well

Love
    Hileena