a question

only49
only49 Member Posts: 1,207
edited 31. May 2010, 10:23 in Community Chit-chat archive
hello

can anyone tell me what does show up if you have an xray on your knees, and can the doctor tell how bad your ostoarthruritis is?
or is that a xray dont show up every thing, I find that when i having alot of pain, the best i can do is apply heat and that seems to kill the pain enough so i can put up with it, i finding although the doctor given extra codiene phospahte it makes me feel rather doopy, its about the size of the pill so you got to watch you dont loose it or drop it, all 15mg of it.
sylvia :)stern02.gif

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sylvia,

It will show up bone and cartilage so will show degeneration but less its very swollen it might not show inflammation. That does show if really bad but oa does as does any deterioration if its bone or cartilage (another word for oa)

Hope you soon have less pain. Cris x
  • only49
    just wondered as last friday not the one just goen the one before the doctor took some blood and said something about an xray but i heard nothing more as of yet, maybe i should phone the doctors, got a busy week next week so i have to get organised
  • ailsamary
    ailsamary Member Posts: 38
    mri is much better at showing the amount of damage, however in most areas they can take an age to get on done,
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    MRI is the best for showing all the damage - I have had three now, and they are better than an X-ray or ultrasound. I am fortunate in that I live a three minute drive from my hospital, so I always tell them I can do a cancellation at very short notice. Even if you live further away consider that as an option. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    MRI

every time if you can have one Only, but they cost more than xrays.

They show up soft tissue too - so are amazing really.

Love

Toni xx
  • only49
    frogmorton wrote:
    MRI

every time if you can have one Only, but they cost more than xrays.

They show up soft tissue too - so are amazing really.

Love

Toni xx
    i know ultrasound is availble here, remeber when i was expecting if its the same as thing as i had then, not sure about mri scan might have to go to aberdeen for that so they have to send me on a plane costing over £100 each way, but they would pay for it, unless things have changed over the years, but its something to think about.

thanks.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    As with all things medical, it takes time to arrange. Ultrasound is ultrasoiund, no matter what it's done for. Good luck with it tho. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben