heat for arthur

only49
only49 Member Posts: 1,207
edited 1. Jun 2010, 13:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
hello

just wondering is anyone like me and in that they find heat works best for me as i have O A i tried thermacare knee wraps they good bit warm in the hot weather, nurophen backpain patches seem to be not too hot but i feel no pain while i got them on, curaheat help, hot but make my knees feel stiff and makes the rest start acheing.

what would help if i could buy them in bulk, i think i be having a soak in the bath tonight thank god for my bath lift.
sylvia :)stern02.gif

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    find it depends on how joint is some times wheat bag other times ice find neck responds better to cold not sure why just does val
    val
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi, I prefer heat too. I have a selection of wheatie bags of different sizes that I heat repeatedly in the microwave (with a cup of water.) Only time is use ice is if knees are very swollen. The heat helps me to relax the muscles around the sore joint (I have OA too.)

I don't use the one-off ones as it would cost me a fortune.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I class my arthritis (PA) as a hot arthritis - I need the cold! I have lost count of the number of bags of frozen peas labelled as 'Lizzie's knee peas - DO NOT EAT' that have passed thro our freeezer since 2002. My mum keeps sending me 'hot' things to help, but she is 86 and living in permafrost. I'm 51 and melting. No wonder we've fallen out! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • speedalong
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I class my arthritis (PA) as a hot arthritis - I need the cold! I have lost count of the number of bags of frozen peas labelled as 'Lizzie's knee peas - DO NOT EAT' that have passed thro our freeezer since 2002. My mum keeps sending me 'hot' things to help, but she is 86 and living in permafrost. I'm 51 and melting. No wonder we've fallen out! DD

Maybe we should have an "exchange and mart" thread!! (don't worry moderators I'm only joking.)
    Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi

the hot ones help my back, but right now I have an ice one on my neck (val!) and it is helping no end.

The peas go off in the end dont they DaisyD??

Yukk!

I love the cold :D

Love

Toni xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    I prefer heat....wheat bags of varying sizes/shapes...square ones/ long ones for round my neck..I have OA
    I was diagnosed with gout in my knee one time but it was only temporary....I'm finding that recently that my knee is getting sore again.whether its gout or something else I dont know but heat is no good for that...Deep Freeze ointment seems to be the best....only time I use anything cold.

Love
    Hileena
  • only49
    i'm off to lidl's for my bargins i look at there gel pads as well, i let you know how i get on.

sylvia
  • only49
    back from lidls now, had a right good look round there today, it was very busy, got everything i wanted, memory foam knee cushion, hubby needed a new shopping trolly on wheels, got the very last packet of hot compress gel patches, i wasnt sure if i was going to get them but when i picked them up they were the very last packet so that changed my mind and thought about myself and got them, so i'm happy got my bargins :D:D:):)

sylvia
  • dreamdaisy
    Result! Well done only49. I hope they help. DD
  • airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Yep, the wheat bags have it! OH makes up different shapes and sizes for me, corduroy works well, the wheat is available in large bags at bigger pet shops for a few squid, be careful the mice love it! Ice is nice as well.

8) Its a grin, honest!
  • only49
    hello everyone

i tell you why i use the one use ones, my aim is to be able to help with the pain i am experincing which we all know is far from nice, anyway with them i can hold then on with tubee grip or how ever they will stay put by, i used that micopor tape at one stage, anyway at least then i can carry on with what i need and want to do so badly, dont like arthur so if he dont like heat i give him a good dose off it, and also at the same time i can keep active as well as that benifits me and not arthur and that important.

sylvia
  • speedalong
    only49 wrote:
    back from lidls now, had a right good look round there today, it was very busy, got everything i wanted, memory foam knee cushion, hubby needed a new shopping trolly on wheels, got the very last packet of hot compress gel patches, i wasnt sure if i was going to get them but when i picked them up they were the very last packet so that changed my mind and thought about myself and got them, so i'm happy got my bargins :D:D:):)

sylvia

Wow - I wish I had a Lidl within hobbling distance!!

Speedalong
  • hileena111
    Hi Babycham,.
    I used to use arnica ointment for bruises etc for the kids when they were little. Have seen the arnica gel....which is the "new one" to avoid whats the difference in the pack.????? I use cold on my knee...do you think that would work? I dont use anything {gel/ointment on hips or back...I might try that as well as tablets}
    Love
    Hileena
  • only49
    hi i found out my arthur (itis ) seem to keep him quiet the heat thank god, he a right pain in the bottom alot of the time.

but i know i not alone with this, i bet there must be times we all feel like we wish arthur would take a oneway trip someone else, ( sorry naughty thought here ) maybe he should leave us alone and go and anoy that D L A doctor that come and saw me. he he he after how he made me feel i would give him no simpathy
  • dreamdaisy
    I take it your OA responds to heat - that is a good thing because it's a fairly easy way to treat discomfort. I am so pleased for you, long may it work! Dreamdaisy
  • lorica
    lorica Member Posts: 187
    I have OA and heat is wonderful :D , but Damp, Rain and Cold are the enemy!! The problem i have is i live in Scotland and we have more rain and cold days than dry hot ones...!!!

I have tried the one off heat pads, they did give some comfort to my knees but my wallet had a heart attack :lol: Heat gels and creams dont work either

I would use the heat pads if i could get a perscription for them.

Mark
  • dreamdaisy
    Neoprene knee supports are warmth-giving, as is sitting with a fleece over your knees. Yes, I know, with the latter you also need a pipe and slippers, a golden retriever and some Werther's but - it might just help. DD
  • hileena111
    ]Hi Heleena The new one cost more than twice as much it quotes on the web site that it is more when the pain would benefit from heat so I would think its like a gentle alternative to deep. heat transv.....n etc which do cause a bit a bit of itching and burning When we had that really cold spell I thought I would give it a try Now Icould have had a bad batch but it was next to useless It had no lovely arnica smell It took ages to rub in which caused pain in my hands as well as the knees and it had no affect on the pain so went back to the original .This arnica is really helpfull for me when my knee goes into a spasam and wont straighten out it certainly helps and its lovely when someone gently messages it into my lower back Hope this is of help HileenaluvBabycham[/quote][/quote]
    Hi might search out the arnica on line and see what I think {when I've a bit of money LOL}
    Thanks love Hileena