whats next step

sheltiebud
sheltiebud Member Posts: 14
Hello guys

Having read posts on the fourm I have found a lot of useful tips and advise. Even posted a couple of questions my self.

Having been dignoise last year with "arther" now just over 12 months on I am finding that gels, tablets etc only last for so long and the pain it a dull ache all the time. mostly in my ankle, I find when i stand im on the edge of my foot not flat to floor, and have to use a stick if i walk a distance, and of cos its stiff in morn if ive sat for a while at work.

I went docs last week to ask where i go from here but kinda got shunted out of surgery with yet more gel and no proper answers and i was so tired i really didnt have the heart that day to fight back.

I just wanted to know as you guys have prob been at this point what are the options know as i want to learn to cope with my "arther"
can you go to pyso your self or do you have to be refered by a doc any information would be brill so im armed with it all when i next go doc as i dont want to leave it and end up worst off as i think i need to be given advise on what shoes to wear etc etc

some days its like hiting your head against a brick wall to find things out so really glad ive found this site/fourm

thanks in advance

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sheltie

You say you have been diagnosed with arthritis last year. Was the diagnosis OA or RA or another type as there are so many? With OA one tends to stay under the care of the gp and he can refer you for physio, or to a consultant. If you need aids ie splints, aids in the home, you can be referred to an OT. If you have been diagnosed with any other type of arthritis, you are usually referred by your gp to a rheumatologist. Do you not have any anti inflammatories and painkillers prescribed by your gp or are you unable to take them for some reason or other. Anti inflammatories help me so much - I have OA.

If you think help with specially made insoles for your shoes, would help with walking, for example, ask your gp about that too. I had some made some years ago and they helped tremenduously and I no longer use them now. You can be referred by your gp to a podiatrist.

Look after yourself,
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello sheltie and welcome
    You go back to your gp,and tell him you are struggling with the pain and walking.
    I also had an hard time getting my gp to take me seriously,in time I changed my gp,and was referred to a pain clinic, and now I am due to see a rheumy.
    I do hope you get some help very soon, you have certainly come to right place, good luck.
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi I think the others have covered all the advice I would offer, hope the pain starts to improve soon.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • sheltiebud
    sheltiebud Member Posts: 14
    thanks every body

forgot to say its Rheumatiod (if thats how you spell it) that i have

I feel much more happy, and confident i can live with this now ive read through the fourm

will keep you infomed
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    sheltiebud wrote:
    thanks every body

forgot to say its Rheumatiod (if thats how you spell it) that i have

I feel much more happy, and confident i can live with this now ive read through the fourm

will keep you infomed

Hi Sheltie

In that case, diagnosed with RA, you should ask your gp to be referrd to a rheumatologist. They look after you regarding meds and your wellbeing and I believe through them you can see an OT (Occupational therapist) for any aids, and be referred by them too, referring foot problems. There may well be a rheumi nurse too that you can phone if you have any problems etc inbetween the rheumi appointments.

I wish you well,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.