simple pain relief

bertyboy
bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
edited 1. Jun 2010, 04:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
:oops: :oops: being a bit of a wimp and struggling to swollow meds i have bought some PANADOL its only parecetamol but its efervesent and is so easy for me with out having to stand over the bowl afraid of gagging might just be a breakthrough for me and i can save the hard stuff till in real need x if that makes sence :D
I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx

Comments

• sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Bertyboy

I'm the other way around - the liquid stuff makes me gag and tablets are easier. I hope this sorts out your pain. You're not a wimp - you've just been through a major operation!!

How are you feeling now? Are you sleeping more comfortably?

Regards
    Sharmaine
    S
    bertyboy wrote:
    :oops: :oops: being a bit of a wimp and struggling to swollow meds i have bought some PANADOL its only parecetamol but its efervesent and is so easy for me with out having to stand over the bowl afraid of gagging might just be a breakthrough for me and i can save the hard stuff till in real need x if that makes sence :D
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    bertyboy wrote:
    no your not no one is we just deal with it the best way we can, :):) i know what you mean about taking stuff i dont like it but guess we got no choice, you know my son who has specail needs is just the same he wont take anything unless it's strawberry favored or if he realy has to i give him it in some yohurt, someone once told me that trick, or either its in liquid form, he recently had to have a course of pinicillin and i thought it was going to be a night mare but they gave him to liquid stuff and he said it was banna flavoured and he took it no bother !!phew!!

sylvia
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Luckily I've never had a problem with swallowing pills - they do down dry most of the time. The worst med I have been given to date was something akin to wallpaper paste that I had to swill around my mouth for five minutes: it was supposed to get rid of the oral thrush I had thanks to naproxen. That did make me heave, to the extent I stopped doing it and stopped the nap instead. Problem solved! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Berty,

A ((((( ))))) and a hope that you are soon able to have less pain.

Talk to your gp cus quite a lot of tablets do have an evanescent version.... i take liquid folic acid cus the tablets made me feel sick and I used to have soluble DF118's (I can't remember if they were outlawed or renamed?! They were actually horrible :lol::lol: )

The 500 paracetamols I used to have in soluble form as well cus they also me me feel very sick and the gp said they got into your system quicker as well.

Another (((( )))) and so many hopes it all settles ad you have less pain soon. Luv Cris xxx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Berty I have to say I prefer tablets, but I know what you mean - after all that throwing up I did in hospital with the migraine I had, I then kept gagging trying to swallow tablets - I prefer coated ones if possible. S used to be unable to swallow and we always used to tell the GP and nearly always got liquid form/efferescent(sp?) which really helped. The paracetomol and codeine tablets (co-codomol) come in efferescent form too.

How are you progressing anyway?

Are you sleeping ok?

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Hi Berty

Speaking as someone who was gagging over 2 paracetamol tablets which had stuck to the back of my throat at 4 am this morning I can really identify with you! I hadn't thought about the fizzy versions - I must change over to those!

Best wishes

Marion
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Hi Berty, a lot of pills come in liquid form, or effervescent, like co codamol, folic acid, voltarol, ranitidine, omeprazole, you name it, there is usually a liquid or syrup version, just that they are more expensive than pills, hence they don't automatically offer them out, but, it is well worth asking your GP, or even your pharmacist, but they will likely say "talk to your GP" :roll: Take care and hope the pain eases. XXX Bubbles.
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Berty

Good for you :D

Glad you Have solved it.
    My youngest (12) has taken epilim syrup since she was 13months and I found out about two moths ago that she HATES it - she's on tablets now and sooooo much happier :wink:

Eejit aren't I? :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    babycham wrote:
    bertyboy wrote:
    hIberty The only prob with Paracetamol(Panadol)as I am sure you all know it can be dangerous if dose is exceeded I am on panadol at the moment and not finding it much good for the pain 2/3 Nytol herbal warm milk lettice sandwich sometimes help s with sleep and for people having operations what about arnica tablets prior to and after and echanatia for immune system xBabycham

no probs thats one thing i wont do is over do the meds i am not that fond of them xxxx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx