Sulpha/Anti-inflams question...

wibberley
wibberley Member Posts: 421
edited 1. Jun 2010, 04:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
Have been plagued with daily headaches recently. Yesterday's was a shocker - sharp pains behind right eye, too.

Felt lowsy this morning so decided to miss a dose and concentrate on feeling better. Am feeling much better and wondering if I could perhaps go back to anti-inflams again? Has anyone done this? Would it be silly to take a 'dmards holiday'....just for a wee while.

Only ones I have are arcoxia and celebrex. Am reluctant to take the celebrex as I had hair loss on it last time and it's only just started growing back in again.

I know I'll get my wrist slapped by the rheummy if inflammation levels rise again but it's so nice not to be bogged down with these darned headaches, and it would be so nice to break this cycle.

Will talk to my GP about it, but just wondered if anyone had done something similar.

Lois x

Comments

• bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    Which DMARDs do you take?

I currently take ARcoxia as an anti inflammtory and it works wonders for me. Cant come off the prednisalone comepletley but have reduced it dramatically. I am scared to come off the arcixa incase i need to put the pred back up again.

I used to be on celebrex and am currently taking Arcoxia with the Sulphasalazine. I understand that celebrex and arcoxia are both anti inflammatories but each tackle either the cox 2 or cox 1. Not completely a pro at all these meds but am pretty sure these are not DMARDs.

Someone correct me if i am wrong.
    xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I think headaches can be a side-effect of sulphasalazine - if you're feeling better without it, don't take it. I had crippling headaches on leflunomide, they were hell, so I stopped them.

I think I'm right in saying that sulph isn't an anti-inflammatory - can't remember what it does do, tho! I take naproxen for that side of things but it's not effective for me. I used to have celebrex but my GP changed it due to cost. Celebrex worked well, nap does zilch. Typical.

It is a matter of trial and error with these things. Ask for a change of meds and see if that helps. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bailey27
    You are right. Sulphasalazine is DMARD. arcoxia and celebrex are anti inflammatories which target different COX thingies. Celebrex i am sure is a cox 2 type. - havent a clue what that means but they are different.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Think Sulfa is a DMARd....

I have been taking a break form mine by mistake :oops: DMARDS that is started again today as I was taking too much other stuff.

Headaches are awful arent they?

Make you feel sick :(

I woudl speak to someone...? pharnacist probably as mine is really nice and knowledgable.

Love

Toni xx
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Hi Lois,

Headaches are the pits :( Just wanted to say hope you can get sorted asap.

I know the one behind the eye can make you feel awful.

Take care, lv, Ix
  • caprica
    caprica Member Posts: 195
    Hey, i'm on sulfa too..

The headaches must be horrible, I'm sorry :( but i wouldn't stop the DMARD without speaking to your doctor. If I remember correctly you've said before it's doing a good job of controlling your symptoms which is ace, so I wouldn't risk getting a flare up - it might not work as well when you start taking it again, I've heard of that happening to people.

Maybe your rheumy would suggest something like lowering the sulfa dose and adding something else in, like hydoxy??

Anyway Im no expert by any account, but I would definitely not do anything without speaking to your doctor, I hope you have a good relationship and that he/she is sympathetic.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Caprica

Hope you had a good holiday??

and any headaches you've had have been down to overindulgence :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Lois,

I would consult your pharamacist for now (don't have to wait to see them like a GP!) They are fab on which meds interact and known side effects. Then armed with your knowledge(!) tackle GP/rheumy. I only know about OA ... but effective meds and quality of life (side effects) need careful balancing ... the medics prescribe but we live with the consequences. Since there are many combinations - hopefully you'll find a solution.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • wibberley
    Phew, finally managed to lure 10-yr old away from the computer - sweets. Works every time!

Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well - am just on Sulpha (4 daily) so yes, if somethings causing these horrible, sicky headaches, it must be that!

I'm not new to cluster headaches at all, but the fact that I'm not suffering my usual 2pm onwards misery having missed my sulpha dose this morning does make me wonder.....

Am wondering if lowering my dose and topping up with arcoxia might help. Arcoxia on it's own did nothing, but seeing as levels are down and I'm taking sulpha too, it might work? However, I am most definitely not an expert so will phone my rheumy tomorrow.

Will be a good girl and take my sulpha tonight!

Many thanks for all your help - great to bounce my thoughts off those who really know what we go through!

Lois x
  • bailey27
    Thats good.
    Hope it works for you.
    It makes you wonder about all these drugs that get pumped into us wiht the effects we get.
  • wibberley
    Bailey, I know what you mean - I thought I was out of the woods having been taking it for 5 months, but wonder if it's been building up slowly and steadily.

We're told to change our shampoos regularly to stop 'build-up' - am wondering if the same should apply to arthitis meds!

Will let you know what the rheumy says - lets hope I don't get a telling off! :D

Lois x
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Hi Wibberley. Like you I have always been prone to headaches and when I started Sulfa I had shocking headaches and nausea constantly whilst I was getting used to the drug. They did subside though after a few weeks. I do know that some of the anti-inflamms and painkillers can cause dreadful headaches too, although, as you say, if your headache was improved just by missing one dose of Sulfa it does make you wonder doesn't it? There are lots of other DMARDS out there though so it might be worth investigating an alternative. Good luck! Tilly x