mouth ulcers

bailey27
bailey27 Member Posts: 689
edited 1. Jun 2010, 14:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
oh oh... think i'm going to get a flare soon - (not again!! :( )
I have had a nasty cluster of mouth ulcers all on the one side of my bottom lip right nside. started off with 3 very small ones, now there are 2 tiny ones and huge bu99er right inbetween. I have used salt, corsodyl mouth washa dn i have been putting the adcortyl which the dr prescribed last time and none have worked.
I really hate going to my GP surgery and realy want to avoid going if i can.
Any suggestions?? also anyone else getting them quite often too?

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Ouch!! I hate mouth ulcers, but don't know what else to suggest. Have you asked the pharmacist?

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Yep, they're a pain in the mouth! Got three big ones I cannot get rid of, tried everything OTC including Bonjela and Daktarin.........Bonjela does give some relief even if it doesn't clear them.

As I'm 'in between' doctors, can't even hope for an appointment until end of week..........they are driving me mad!

Pretty sure they're down to the metho..........

Annie

PS - alcohol, eh? Would scotch do?
  • bailey27
    Hi there, no i've not spoken to them yet. I'll go ask them tomorow, but I did this before and she suggested I see my GP because I was getting them so frequently and they are aggressive little things too. I can handle to odd one now and them but this big one is so deep and sore my whole bottom left sde of my mouth looks swollen.
  • sherry33
    sherry33 Member Posts: 25
    Don't talk to me about mouth ulcers and cold sores!! I had methotrexate reduced due to horrendous ulcers etc. and then had it increased again. I went to see consultant and told him the ulcers were bearable compared to improvement with increase in metho then the very next morning (!!!) I started with the most huge cluster of mouth ulcers and cold sores that made my lip swell up so much that they met together with my mouth open!! I ended up having to get aclivor (or whatever it's called?) in tablet form and having to take it five times a day. The ulcers and cold sores have only just healed up and it's taken three weeks!! It's all down to our impaired immune systems and the reduced ability of our bodies to fight these things or so I've been told!! :)
    The adult form of Bonjela is very good, it's only for over 16's due to some ingredient it has in it but it's about the best thing I've found to get over the counter.
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Sorry to hear your pain.

I too suffer lots of mouth ulcers. I get them mainly on all sides of my tongue and man can they be painful and downright annoying!

My GP prescribed me something (I forget the name) however the chemist said it is rare to get their hands on the meds so the GP said just to use bonjella etc.

Personally, I do not put anything on them (although dipping my tongue in cold iced water brings a temporary relief!). The reason we get them is due to our immune system being down especially if taking Methotrexate.
    Not much help to you on this one - sorry. Keep smiling, Carol
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Hi, don't know if this will be of any help but I have problems with a really, really dry mouth - cos of RA or meds or both probably and I discovered an over the counter toothpaste and mouthwash called Biotene. Not only has it helped hugely with my dry mouth but my mouth health has improved dramatically which was an unexpected benefit. Even dentist commented on the good state of my mouth and teeth! These products are not meant (obviously) to cure the problem but contain the enzymes normally found in saliva. If you are not producing enough saliva (which I think is often the case with meds and or RA) then bacteria can build up leading to mouth problems. I know that metho mouth ulcers etc are due to suppressed immune system but wonder if something like Biotene might help you. Available from Boots - but be aware that you will need a second mortgage to pay for it! I'm hooked now so it's worth every penny to me. Hope you find something to help you cos I know how horrible and painful a sore mouth can be. Love Tilly x
  • rosebud
    rosebud Member Posts: 52
    I was given Naproxen last year by the doc and this caused me to break out in loads of mouth ulcers!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It's the battle we all wage: one set of meds gives rise to another problem at which the docs hurl another set of meds. I'm in stubborn bugger mode now, only taking humira and sulph, with 2.5mg of pred to cheer myself up. I've stopped the naproxen (got fed up with the continual oral thrush) and BP meds (because I felt a thousand times worse on them. I will go back to them in due course, when the humira stops working (which it invariably will, because in my experience all the meds that are effective don't last long!) My BP is only up because of the humira anyway. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    I use Corsodil for my buggers, diluted as per instruction, it's the only thing that works for me, all the other stuff just seems to hurt them.
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    I know this may sound simple but if you drink soft drinks at all are they sugar free and also cutting out fizzy dxrinks seemed to help me....Also avoiding really strong flavours such as vinegary or condiments......I use Iglu its a bit like putting wallpaper paste in your mouth but it does kill the wee buggers.....worth a go......

Elaine
    bailey27 wrote:
    oh oh... think i'm going to get a flare soon - (not

again!! :( )
    I have had a nasty cluster of mouth ulcers all on the one side of my bottom lip right nside. started off with 3 very small ones, now there are 2 tiny ones and huge bu99er right inbetween. I have used salt, corsodyl mouth washa dn i have been putting the adcortyl which the dr prescribed last time and none have worked.
    I really hate going to my GP surgery and realy want to avoid going if i can.
    Any suggestions?? also anyone else getting them quite often too?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It's to do with a compromised immune system, isn't it - that's why you get them due to the meds. I hope you can find something to help, it's a real Catch 22. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bailey27
    Hi
    Thanks for all your advice, it is very much appreciated.

Yes, I believe it is becasue of a suppressed immune system. I usually get them when i am about to have a flare. but I have just come out of one flare so am hoping it isnt that as I didnt get one this time around - maybe its just makig a late appearance just to annoy me!

I researched them and apparently ulcers are exposed nerves in the mouth!?!?!? never heard of that before but would explain why they are so damn painful.

I've not eaten anything since this morning as it is too painful to eat - they really are annoying me now!

I beleive from research that it is the immune system which causes it and it isnt bacterial, I spose it isnt any harm in using an anti bacterial mouth wash to prevent it getting infected as it is quite big and deep now.
    I havent missed a dentist appoitnemnt in 30 years and have never needed a filling so know it isnt that.
    I think I may need a visit to the dreaded GP soon if it doesnt go. Really hate using this surgery but may just have to as it is getting into the 3rd week now and it isnt letting up one bit!