7 weeks post TRH

denpen
denpen Member Posts: 389
edited 3. Jun 2010, 16:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I will be 7 weeks post op for my THR on Thursday, when I left the hospital I was given a sheet of paper by the physio it had the dos and donts on it and that my consultant has you stay on crutches for 12 weeks also I cant drive for 12 weeks, this is fair enough I am nowhere near ready to come off the crutches yet anyway. I went to physio at 5 weeks and asked her about seeing the consultant she said I wont see him I will see physio and the joint nurses at 12 weeks and if I had any problems they would pass it back to him apparently its the norm at my hospital that you dont see the consultant again it seems a bit strange to me but as long as someone is looking after you I suppose it doesnt matter wether its the consultant or not.
I have a lot of muscle waste in my leg which means that I cant stand on the leg for any significant length of time, before my op I thought that by this point I would be off crutches and nearly back to normal I am really surprised at how long the recovery is taking and I still cant lye on my side in bed, I long to turn over on my side and sleep instead of lying on my back unable to get to sleep.

Anyway enough of my ramblings.
Denise

Comments

• marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Denise

No need whatsoever to apologise - I was wondering how you were getting on. Your out-patient follow-up seems the same as mine - ie - 12 weeks and no driving until the appointment..

I am 4 weeks post op this Thursday and have to confess I am a little anxious about whether I am recovering quickly or slowly! - so it's good to hear how things are with you at 7 weeks. They do say that it can take a full 12 months to feel the full benefit of a THR.

I have just said to my daughter that I can't believe that some people actually go back to work and can drive at 6 weeks - there is no way I will be fit for either of those things in 2 weeks time!!

Anyway, do keep posting updates as it's really useful to hear other people's experiences.

Best wishes

Marion
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Denise, great to read your post to compare notes/experiences. It will be 3 weeks on Wednesday since my hip op - I had the resurface version of the THR.
    I will be 7 weeks post op for my THR on Thursday, when I left the hospital I was given a sheet of paper by the physio it had the dos and donts on it and that my consultant has you stay on crutches for 12 weeks also I cant drive for 12 weeks, this is fair enough I am nowhere near ready to come off the crutches yet anyway
    I was given the dos and donts re 90 degree bends etc and a sheet of exercises and that was it. My consultant said I had no weight bearing restrictions so I assume I'm using my crutches more for safety than anything else. I often only use one around the house now, and in the kitchen take a few steps without, but wouldn't dream of leaving the house unless using both. I find the total lack of advice astonishing (or maybe highly annoying - is more accurate) I want to know things like do I have to do the stairs as taught for safety of because it was easier post op etc
    I went to physio at 5 weeks and asked her about seeing the consultant she said I wont see him I will see physio and the joint nurses at 12 weeks and if I had any problems they would pass it back to him apparently its the norm at my hospital that you dont see the consultant again it seems a bit strange to me but as long as someone is looking after you I suppose it doesnt matter wether its the consultant or not.
    Did you ask to see the physio or were you summoned? My appointment is at 10 weeks, but I was led to believe it would be at 6 weeks, though on checking my discharge letter is states 8 weeks ... either way I am going to be phoning up tomorrow to try and get it a bit earlier ....
    I have a lot of muscle waste in my leg which means that I cant stand on the leg for any significant length of time, before my op I thought that by this point I would be off crutches and nearly back to normal I am really surprised at how long the recovery is taking
    My leg has wasting too, but I'm not surprised because in the lead up to my op my mobility was seriously affected and I was increasingly reliant on crutches. I had to work really hard last time (had a THR 13 years ago, aged 30) to get the leg muscles working again - and that time I had weight bearing restrictions for months - so I am much better off this time. I find standing fine ( not indefinitely - but compared to before op when very painful.) Have you ever watched a video of a THR (I wont but have heard all about one!) if you did watch one you would understand why the recovery takes a while .... Don't be disheartened though - I read somewhere that everyone plateaus in their recovery for awhile somewhere between 7 and 12 weeks...
    and I still cant lye on my side in bed, I long to turn over on my side and sleep instead of lying on my back unable to get to sleep.
    Are you allowed to sleep on your side? That wasn't in your list of dos and don'ts? At pre op the nurse said not for 12 weeks on average but to all my questions she kept saying ask the consultant ... chance would be a fine thing - hardly saw him!! I really miss sleeping on my side too.
    Anyway enough of my ramblings.

Hardly rambling, keep the posts coming!!
    Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hi. I have not had a replacement of anything but the one thing I have gathered from these forums is that recovery takes a while, and it will be longer than you think. Of course there's some wastage, but the muscle will come back in time with the correct exercises etc. Don't rush things - you may end up causing some damage and undoing all their hard work!

I know it's tiring and frustrating - I remember champing at the bit after my first synovectomy. It was done right at the end of February but it wasn't until August I was off the crutches. It takes time. Hang on in there, it will all get better in due course. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Hi, Sorry I'm not much help but I just wanted send my best wishes and hugs. I wish things were a little easier for you.

Lv, Ix
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Denise,

I also was wondering about you and so glad you have popped in.

I was asked if I wanted to go on the lists but I said I would hang on a while so don't know any tips etc for you.I do know about muscle waisting and flower hang in there cus you WILL get there and who is to say at what's pace people heal at so don't be disappointed.

A ((( ))) and a hope you start to feel you are doing well, cus you are! Cris x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Denise

I think you is doing brilliant!!!!

You are too hard on yourself.

It really really is early days yet.

Soon have your legs back to their usual shape.

Any concerns at all and the team will have you back to see the consultant - dont worry.

As for the sleeping - on that one you have all my sympathy :(

Wish I had an idea - any idea.

Love

and hugs

Toni xx
  • speedalong
    Hi Marion,
    I have just said to my daughter that I can't believe that some people actually go back to work and can drive at 6 weeks - there is no way I will be fit for either of those things in 2 weeks time!!
    I think it depends on the job and the state of your muscles before the op. No way am I going back to work for months!! No allowances will be made and my job is every-which-way demanding. As for driving - as soon as possible please!! (I'd just like to know I can, and then I'll decide when I'm ready.)
    Anyway, do keep posting updates as it's really useful to hear other people's experiences.
    Definitely!!! If we didn't have each other we'd be even more in the dark!!

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    Once again doesnt it just show the differences in Health authorities. I was 63 {3 and a half months post op} Didnt get crutches got sticks.
    Was off them by the six weeks but I find that even now in crowds I find it hard to weave in and out of people...I need a stick for that otherwise I stagger. I drove at 7 weeks {6 weeks it was sleeting and I didnt have the confidence} As for physio.....havent had any.....given a sheet of paper and that was it. Saw my consultant at 6 weeks and have a 2nd appt on Friday {think thats just to tell me he wants me to have to 2nd one soon} 2nd appt withn him is 9n weeks after the first appt.
    Thats my story
    Dont worry Denise we all seem to recover at different speeds....at least thats what I tell myself ab out the staggering in crowds
    LOL
    Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    Hi Hileena, which hip did you have done this time? Do you drive a manual or an automatic?

Speedalong
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi Denise
    It sounds like you are doing well. Recovery is slow and frustrating at times, but don`t be tempted to rush things. I had 2 check ups, one at 6 weeks and one at 12 weeks. But I know that even at the same hospital some just were seen at 12 weeks. (different surgeons) My surgeons advice was crutches for 12 weeks (non cemented prosthesis) but i could drive when I felt confident to do an emergency stop. I sat in the car a few times on the drive and practiced but think it was about 8 weeks post op before I drove. (I have a manual car and had a LTHR)
    Sleeping- the advice for me was on my back for 12 weeks , but I honestly think my scar was too tender to put up with side sleeping before then. When I did try it was my non operated hip I laid on with pillows between my knees to support the weight etc..
    I was 40 when I had mine done last year and went back to work at 4 months on a very phased return ( I am a community nurse) .
    For me now, more than 12 months post op , my replaced hip is fab, I can honestly say I forget it is a THR sometimes. I look forward to having my other one sorted in the future.
    Ok I have rambled too much sorry!
    NB
  • speedalong
    Hi NB,

Good to hear about your op and recovery, was it metal on metal? Were you allowed to fully weight bear on the crutches?

Speedalong
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi Speedalong
    Mine is a ceramic on ceramic. I was on elbow crutches from start and was weight bearing albeit tentatively at the start!!
    I had the initial physio in hospital, and then when the OT people came to see me post op, they asked the community physio to see me a few times as I was still limping a lot. She said it was due to muscle wastage and habit really. I ahve also had physio at the hospital and a course of hydrotheraly to strengthen my muscles around my THR and around my other hip to make it stronger for when I have surgery on that one.
    The recovery is slow, but it is a major op and we need ot give our bodies time to heal so the new joints will last as long as possible.
    Good luck to all in recovery.xx
    NB
  • hileena111
    speedalong wrote:
    Hi Hileena, which hip did you have done this time? Do you drive a manual or an automatic?

Speedalong

Hi Speedalong, I had the right hip done and I drive a manual.....I'm going to try and get some sort of small automatic when I'm next due to cheange because the arthritis in my ankle {left one} is getting worse} I drive a micra and thats the size of car I like but not sure which small cars to automatics
    Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    Hi Speedalong
    Mine is a ceramic on ceramic. I was on elbow crutches from start and was weight bearing albeit tentatively at the start!!
    I had the initial physio in hospital, and then when the OT people came to see me post op, they asked the community physio to see me a few times as I was still limping a lot. She said it was due to muscle wastage and habit really. I ahve also had physio at the hospital and a course of hydrotheraly to strengthen my muscles around my THR and around my other hip to make it stronger for when I have surgery on that one.
    The recovery is slow, but it is a major op and we need ot give our bodies time to heal so the new joints will last as long as possible.
    Good luck to all in recovery.xx
    NB

Wow sounds like you have done well out of the postcode lottery ... for after care!!

Is the limping improving?

Speedalong
  • speedalong
    Hi Hileena, sounds a good plan. I drive an astra - I need a hatchback with plenty of boot space (and I have a roof box) taking S on hols etc (and me and the cat...) we need lots of room as S doesn't travel light!!

I had my right done this time, that is quite a busy leg isn't it? The bit that I think is the hardest is the getting in and out. I currently have the passenger seat well back, I sit on a high cushion to raise the seat and also to counteract the fact that most car seats slope backwards, I tip the back down (like a recliner) whilst I get in and then sit up once in!!

Well - to drive I have to sit well forward with knees under steering wheel as I am short, so it wont be easy to get into driving seat, and if I push the seat back to make getting in easier - how will I bend forward to pull the underseat lever and then pull the seat forward without breaking the 90 degree rule?

SPeedalong
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Hi Nearlybionic

Many thanks for your interesting posts - I remember you from last year and I wondered how you were getting on..

Best wishes

Marion

Hi Speedalong

The issue about getting into the driver's seat and bending/twisting to move the seat forward without breaking the 90 degree rule has been bothering me too ... I meant to ask the OT or Physio at the hospital but of course I forgot!! I would be interested to hear other people's experiences.. I am not venturing anywhere near my car until I see the consultant at 12 weeks - I am too worried about undoing his good work! I have just tried to gently hoe a flower bed and remove some weeds (without bending down) but I am regretting it, however, my walk down the road today seemed easier than yesterday (I have finished my blood thinners now so am conscious I need to keep active)..

Marion
  • hileena111
    speedalong wrote:
    Hi Hileena, sounds a good plan. I drive an astra - I need a hatchback with plenty of boot space (and I have a roof box) taking S on hols etc (and me and the cat...) we need lots of room as S doesn't travel light!!

I had my right done this time, that is quite a busy leg isn't it? The bit that I think is the hardest is the getting in and out. I currently have the passenger seat well back, I sit on a high cushion to raise the seat and also to counteract the fact that most car seats slope backwards, I tip the back down (like a recliner) whilst I get in and then sit up once in!!

Well - to drive I have to sit well forward with knees under steering wheel as I am short, so it wont be easy to get into driving seat, and if I push the seat back to make getting in easier - how will I bend forward to pull the underseat lever and then pull the seat forward without breaking the 90 degree rule?

SPeedalong

Hi Speedalong, I did worry about getting in and out as I also sit close to the wheel and have a cushion. No way could I use the levers to move the seat {just in case...I would be worried}...I just got in as gently as possibly...couldnt swing my legs in together the way I can in hubbys car but decided that getting in slowly and trying my best not to bend was the lesser of the 2 evils {moving the drivers seat} It doesnt seem to have don any harm
    Love
    Hileena
  • wendgro
    wendgro Member Posts: 296
    Hi to all of you each person and Health Authority seem to do different things when recovering from THR they all lead to the same thing a good recovery whether slow or quick we all get there in the end. Age state of health physical and mental all go towards the recovery and the best mobility you can obtain .It may be less than you expected but you will be pain free :)
  • speedalong
    Hi Hileena, thanks for that - I'm not that comfy travelling by car yet and that is as passenger - but its early days. Once I am I will start practising just getting in and out the car then, I guess,

Speedalong
  • speedalong
    Hi Marion,

I'm still wearing TEDS night and day and have loads of jabs left AND I am very active ...!!! Have missed a couple jabs ( I can only do them when lying on bed and undisturbed by S and the cat ....)

Is your walk down the road your distance training? Good for you.

We (another friend is staying Tues to Thurs -so we have a chauffeur!!) took S to the park this evening it was great for me to walk - no people to dodge and all level and a straight path,l ovely. I walk better on crutches already than I did before the op in terms of lack of pain and improved gait. I'm finding slopes make my muscles ache very quickly though.

Speedalong
  • denpen
    Hi Marion
    Its such a long job the recovery I am only just about feeling that I am actually getting somewhere (7 weeks today) there was no way I could have gone back to work after 6 weeks and no way I could drive yet I do still need my crutches, Its quite good that there are a few of us had our op within weeks of each other and we can all compare notes.
    Denise
  • denpen
    Hi speedalong
    I got my physio appointment before I left the hospital and she said that they would see me 5 weeks post op. (I am going to post again re: todays appointment).

On my piece of paper with the consultants advice on It says that you will be able to lye on your operated side 6 weeks post op and the non operated side 12 weeks, but I still cant lye on my side yet I turn on it every sight to see, but I day I will. yeah........

Denise
  • denpen
    Hi NB
    I cant believe its been 12 months since you had your THR "where has that time gone" I work in a shop (my manager rang me last saturday to see if I was off crutches yet, surprisingly she didnt stay to chat when I told her that I would be on them for another 6 weeks. ha ha) my GP gave me another sick note for 6 weeks and told me to come back to see him when thats run out to see how I am doing.
    I couldnt manage without my crutches just yet dont think I would get very far, I drove my husbands car off the drive i.e. swapping cars. but his is a Automatic and it hurt just getting into that side of the car, can you imagine having a accident in the car and getting out to swap details then you get your crutches out wouldnt the other driver get a shock. lol.
    Denise
  • hileena111
    The nother thing about driving too soon.......Can you imagine if you had to do an emergency stop!!!!! Ohhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! ewven the thought hurts

Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    I don't finding being a passenger in a car comfy yet - some cars are more comfy than others. I think I could do the pedals - but no good if not comfy sitting ...

On the passenger side I have to protect my hip from the seatbelt as if my hand isn't there it rests on my scar.

Thank goodness for my hire scooter ... and a springtime op!!
    Speedalong