4 week Sickness review!

lorica
lorica Member Posts: 187
My employer wants a 4 week sickness review, which im ok with but should i have someone with me? :?

Mark

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Mark, I'm sorry I don't really know much about this sort of thing, I'm sure others will be more knowledgeable than me.

However common sense says to me - if you want emotional support take a "friend" as an observer/note taker and if you are at all worried take your union rep.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • lorica
    union rep wont go, he said he wouldnt get involved at this stage :?
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Just read your previous post ... I definitely wouldn't go alone - I would ask if you can take a "friend" - would any colleague go with you or would they be too scared of blotting their own copy book? The other thing you can ask for is an "independent observer."

The refusal for occy health referral sounds like they are hoping you will leave or will try and give you push for not being able to work. You need the occy health referral to assess you for DDA. Now your union chap should be able to help/advice on this and if not - needs to do his homework.

Speedalong

PS Read the back threads on this forum - there have been various links posted where more info on your rights are explained. Sorry I don't have that info at my finger tips.
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • 2010rainbow
    2010rainbow Member Posts: 6
    lorica wrote:
    My employer wants a 4 week sickness review, which im ok with but should i have someone with me? :?

i too have just had to have my first ever sickness reveiw and felt very ubncomfortable.i am still at the undiagnosed stage after underoing tests and tests and more tests .i personally think it lookslike fibromyalgia but back to you .At first i thought why take my uninon rep in with me "i have nothing to hide " but i wish i had , as my manager asked questions like "CANT YOU PUT A SUPPORT BANDAGE ON "!!!.I am also suffering from memory fog and forgot what had been said to me and when i left i became very upset .Needless to say i now take in my GMB rep everytIme and what a difference .He then repeats more sloly what has been said to me and during the meeting pulls her up if she gets things wrong re;my position .
    So if i an give ANYONE ADVICE ....IT IS ....PLEASE TAKE IN A REPRESENTATIVE WITH YOU
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Mark...

I agree with the others that you should always have someone with you at these reviews. I am surprised that your union rep wouldn't go..his reason 'that it's too soon for him to be involved'...well it's just a cop out. You pay union fees and are entitled to representation. :!: ...mind you if that's his attitude you might be better off not having him there. :roll:

no matter who goes with you...ask for the meeting to be minuted so that there is a true record of what was said. your boss might then think about what he says and comply with anti discriminatory law!

are your HR doing anything to hep you?

irisx
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    delboy wrote:
    As others have said take a union rep with you and if yours won't agree get in touch with the union HQ. You definitely need representation.
    I totally agree with you Del union rep should go if requested didnt know they could pick & chose to represent or not! Mine was excellent. Wishing you all the best Mark x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hello, You do need someone with you, it could be your union rep. but when I had to go through all that myself, I took my husband. Maybe I should have taken a union rep., but I got on well with my boss and we went through the motions, although in the end I was retired sick, I was given a full pension, which means that I have lost only the cost of living rises be retiring early that was after the 2 nd period or sickness in two years. I worked for the council.

If you are not so lucky and don't have a very good relaitionship with your manager, then the union are the best people. I think it depends on how much trust you feel for the manager you will be seeing. Going in too heavily too soon can be counter preductive, or so I've found, maybe though I'm just too easy-going!!! :oops:
    LOve Sue
  • lorica
    I have now had my review!! In the end I went alone :!:

The dialog at the meeting was recorded word for word! So the meeting lasted a while..... There was no pressure applied to say when i would be back, my boss listened to what i had to say, she also had a few points from the report that my doctor sent to company HR she wanted to clarify, but there was no pressure.

My boss also gave me a list of things the company would do to allow me to work with my disability :o

In all I do think the meeting went well, the minutes of the meeting ended up being 13 pages long lol

Mark
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Great news Mark!

really glad for you that it went so well and that your employers are giving you the support you need when you go back...

wow! I'm glad I wasn't taking the minutes!!!!!

Iris x