Polymyalgia Rheumatica

peterjk
peterjk Member Posts: 2
Hi
I've been diagnosed with what my Doctor thinks is Polymyalgia . I've been put on a course of Steroids. I had blood test that both showed raised levels . If it is not Polymyalgia then what other disease process could it be?

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,482
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dear Peter,

Thank you for your enquiry to Helplines. I am attaching some information on polymyalgia rheumatica.
    http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis_information/arthritis_types__symptoms/polymyalgia_rheumatica_pmr.aspx

It's difficult to mention other possible causes because arthrits is a very wide field, and many condtions can seem a bit similar. However if you are concerned that you've been misdiagnosed, then it would be important to talk to your GP.

If you wanted to see good general information on different kinds of arthritis, do see our booklet 'understanding arthritis'.
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets

I hope that is helpful
    Guy
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Please do contact me if you feel I could be of any help - I have both PMR and GCA (Temporal Arteritis) which sometimes occur together.

I have also in the last year been diagnosed with polyarthritis, so have three separate conditions altogether. I am on steroids and methotrexate.

I have PMR as a chronic condition, which doesn't often happen and have been on steroids for some years now, so I might be able to answer any questions.

Annie
  • rosemary45
    rosemary45 Member Posts: 5
    peterjk wrote:
    Hi
    I've been diagnosed with what my Doctor thinks is Polymyalgia . I've been put on a course of Steroids. I had blood test that both showed raised levels . If it is not Polymyalgia then what other disease process could it be?

hi
    mine started off with what you have and now i have inflamatory
    arthritis
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Hello Rosemary

Sorry that you have had the dx of PMR. I had it after a bad virus two years ago now. The only thing they can treat it with are the steroids and I started off on 15mg a day for 48 hrs. If the pain went away or subsided, then the prognosis was PMR. I was then put on a sliding dosage of Preds for several months until I was down to 2.5mg. Dr has now taken me off steroids to see what happens. Staying on steroids was not good for me because of my BP. Very high. If I get a PMR flareup then I shall have to start all over again. I have just had a test for Giant Cell Artiritis because I have been suffering pains on the left side of my head for ages, but apparently I do not have a blocked artery so that is good. Would still like to know what is causing the soreness around the left side of my face. Inflammation levels in my Blood tests are rather high still.
    It seems a never ending slog with all the medications, up and then down again depending on the intensity of the pain from PMR.
    Good luck and hope you get some quick results.

Joy
  • rosemary45
    rosemary45 Member Posts: 5
    joyful164 wrote:
    Hello Rosemary

Sorry that you have had the dx of PMR. I had it after a bad virus two years ago now. The only thing they can treat it with are the steroids and I started off on 15mg a day for 48 hrs. If the pain went away or subsided, then the prognosis was PMR. I was then put on a sliding dosage of Preds for several months until I was down to 2.5mg. Dr has now taken me off steroids to see what happens. Staying on steroids was not good for me because of my BP. Very high. If I get a PMR flareup then I shall have to start all over again. I have just had a test for Giant Cell Artiritis because I have been suffering pains on the left side of my head for ages, but apparently I do not have a blocked artery so that is good. Would still like to know what is causing the soreness around the left side of my face. Inflammation levels in my Blood tests are rather high still.
    It seems a never ending slog with all the medications, up and then down again depending on the intensity of the pain from PMR.
    Good luck and hope you get some quick results.

Joy

i am so sorry to here of your problems,when i was diagnosed with pmr i was put on to steroids started off on 1 5mg a day and was getting worse so my gp kept on putting up my dose ,eventually i was on 6 5mg a day for about 2 years then i moved and my new gp hit the roof went for alot more tests and started to bring my steroids down and become very ill could not move.
    eventually doagnosed with inflamatory arthritis so loads more differant tablets plus still on steroids but at only 1 5mg a day of steropids but cannot take me off steroids because i was on them for along time and a high dose.
    so basically complte change of life in past 6/7 years but keep battlin on you have to dont give up.
    i keep sayin to myself could be worse.
    keep well
  • helpline_team
    Hi everyone
    Just in case you did not know but earlier this year a new UK charity with a lot of support groups for people living with PMR and also GCA was launched:
    PMR-GCA UK they have website and there is info and how to contact local groups etc.
    Check them out.
    Hope that helps
    Penn
  • joanne60
    joanne60 Member Posts: 15
    peterjk wrote:
    Hi

Hi I was diagnosed with Polymyalgia Rheumatica and put on steroids which supress the immune system. Eventually my Doctor realised that in fact I had Lyme Disease. Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection passed on by a tick bite. Research shows blood tests can miss 50% of cases, not everyone gets the typical bulls eye rash and we are not always aware of the poppy seed sized tick that bit us.

Steroids are a complete no no if you are suffering with a bacterial infection.
  • helpline_team
    Steroids are a complete no no if you are suffering with a bacterial infection.[/quote]

Hi Joanne - took the reference to the other site out of your posting - because the Helplines would need to check that out first. Also medical advice or opinion about drugs is not encouraged - only information given from recognised sources. The Helplines team have a huge resource of information about all conditions and treatments which have been medically checked and are available to you all. Chat to Helplines was set up so all forum users could get the benefit of this and also a direct way of accessing us and all our knowledge and experience. So please keep your questions coming.
    Thanks
    Penn