Methotrexate - Advice

bevfoster15
bevfoster15 Member Posts: 13
edited 29. Jun 2010, 06:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone

I'm hoping for some advice, I have just been diagnoised with RA and have had the chat at the hospital telling me what they are going to try me on and I am at the doctors to get my prescription on Thur night.

They are starting me on Methotrexate 10mg and from what I gather it can make you feel sick, I hate feeling like that and just wanted some advice off anyone who has been on this or still on it as to when is best to take it and if taking the tablets all together is better than spreading them out during the day? Also I am to take Folic acid a couple of days later after taking Meth and can this make you feel sick as well?

Your help and advice would be much appreciated

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello bevfoster, and welcome. I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis, it must be shock. Meth is one of the first lines of attack and yes, it can make some people feel very sick, others a little queasy and for some, nothing. Everybody varies in their reaction, so nausea is not guaranteed. 10 is also quite a small dose, so that should lessen any impact side-effects wise on you.

I was never prescribed folic acid when I was on the tablets - I now have it injected and still no acid, so I can't help with that. I can guarantee tho that someone who does take it will be along to explain what they do. Folic does not make you feel sick. At least, I don't think it does! Women take it whilst trying to become pregnant I believe, it does boost the body in some way - they wouldn't take it if it made them feel ill! I wish you well, dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hi Bev and welcome to the forum.

I've been on Mtx for two years and can honestly say it's changed my life for the better after having RA for 24 years.

I'm also on 10mg tablets and folic acid. At first I did find it makes me feel sick and even vomit but the side effects settled down within a short time and have now gone completely. I got delayed side effects in that I take my tabs on Tuesday morning after breakfast and Friday was vomit and headache day.

Everyone's different and alot of peeps on here chose to take their Mtx before bedtime so that they sleep through side effects, if they get them.

You may not get any.

You will be monitored closely whilst taking this drug so try not to be afraid of it. It has been my life saver.

Hope this helps.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • sanmar63
    sanmar63 Member Posts: 117
    Hi Everyone

I'm hoping for some advice, I have just been diagnoised with RA and have had the chat at the hospital telling me what they are going to try me on and I am at the doctors to get my prescription on Thur night.

They are starting me on Methotrexate 10mg and from what I gather it can make you feel sick, I hate feeling like that and just wanted some advice off anyone who has been on this or still on it as to when is best to take it and if taking the tablets all together is better than spreading them out during the day? Also I am to take Folic acid a couple of days later after taking Meth and can this make you feel sick as well?

Hi Bev,
    You sound just like me afew weeks ago - I'm now in my 8th week of MTX and yes, it can make you feel sick, but my Rheumy told me to take folic acid 6 days a week instead of one day - and it has worked! (tho you cant take it on the same day as the MTX)

I dont think you can space the MTX out over time, it has to be taken all at once for the impact needed. I always take mine on friday night (originally so that i knew that hubby was home on saturdays in case I had any side effects) but to be honest, the pro's have far outweighed the cons, and things are getting easier - I'm glad I persevered!

Take a look at my previous messages on here, I was absolutely terrified of this drug, but everyone on here pulled me through it with their help and advice.

Please try and give it a chance - I have had RA since the age of 1year - and now, 46 years later, I am virtually pain free - for the 1st time in my life!

I hope I have helped you a little, please let us know how you get on,

Love and ((()))'s, Sandra xxxx

• page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    HI
    To begin with it is best to take the mtx all in one go with or after dinner, but if you do feel or get sick your rheumy might sugest you split the does.
    i take mine on sunday night and mon lunch time cos i got sick.
    also i think some people do find the folic acid can make them feel sick but it doesnt happen that often and my dose of folic acid was upped to help stop the mtx from making me sick.
    good luck with it and lots of people dont get any side effects so hopefully your be one of them :D
    if you do feel sick talk to your rheumy or nurse cos there are things they can do to help.
    best wishes
  • chrissie691
    chrissie691 Member Posts: 50
    I started on 10mg MTX in May following diagnosis of RA. I take it on a Tuesday evening after dinner. I found that I had nausea for the first 3 weeks (lasting about 24 hrs) but it eased off after then. I take all four (2.5mg) tablets together and take the folic acid 24 hours after. The folic acid doesn't make me feel nauseous.

I have to say the MTX is working wonders for me. It took about 4 weeks to kick in and I have gone from having to take 60 Co-Dydramol a month to needing virtually no painkillers. Long may it last!

Wishing you very best wishes.
    Luv Chrissie xxx
  • englishrose
    englishrose Member Posts: 99
    sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I have been on MTX for 8 years. I also take folic acid. At first I did feel pretty unwell the day after taking it but it did pass quite quickly. Now I have no unpleasant effect at all. Do take the folic acid (will not make you feel sick) as I think it helps boost your imune system.
    Goodluck - keep us posted
    Jane
  • bevfoster15
    bevfoster15 Member Posts: 13
    I am so pleased I have joined this site as it is all alittle scarey and your advice makes all the difference :D

I will keep you all informed of how I am getting along.

What I will say to anyone new who is like me and has just been diagnoised, a few weeks back when I had what I think was a flare up, it went from just being my hands to being my ankles, shoulders, knees the works I went from being a 37 year old fit person to feeling like an 80 year old over night and thought I'm too young to not be able to work or do the thing I want to do. I looked on the internet and found a sit which said Ginger is good for Inflammation, I take ginger tablets morning and night, and glucosemine and omega3 also on a morning and I have found an immense difference, hopefully the meth will help the rest.
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Hello Bevfoster and welcome to this site.

I know what you mean - I was diagnosed in March at 38yrs old and feel I have aged dramatically - well my body has!

Re Methotrexate - I have built up to 20mg of Methotrexate weekly. I take it first thing on Tuesday mornings and then on Wednesday some Folic Acid. At first I felt yukky and sicky and a wee bit 'out of it' however that has calmed down somewhat.
    Please do not get nervous taking it. Hopefully you will be one of the people who benefits greatly from the pills and improves your symptoms. Try to think positive about it and it may just work :lol:

Good luck with it and keep us posted.
    Carol :lol:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Old age holds no terrors now. 51 going on 81, that's me. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • psyart
    psyart Member Posts: 600
    Hi Everyone

hi and welcome! sorry that you have to join us because of 'arthur' but we will support you as we understand - sometimes a lot more that the doctors!!!!! anyway - yes methx can make you feel sick but you can get anti-sickness tablets. also, folic acid does not make you feel sick - it helps you and I take it 6 days a week!!! Its trial and error!! But if the methx works for you then you will feel the benefits – if that makes sense???
    Good luck and keep us posted

Louise xx
    e050.gifo050.gif
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hello, Just popped in to welcome you to the site and hope that you get some good advice and help. I know I certainly have and lots of support too.

I have OA in my spine and hands etc! :shock:

Anyway, I'm glad you've found us, lots of love Sue xx