CQDX!!

mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 1. Jul 2010, 07:33 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi all well it's been hot and thank god the skip has started to fire up, a month or so ago there were no solar flares so no inonisation of the various layers of ozone way up in the big blue, but at last few days I have managed to get farther than Didcot, just worked Spain Southern France and Northern France all these contacts had really good English thank god as my French and Spanish is poo.
Anyway rig worked well but I am still rusty with me Q codes, well it has been 20 years since I DX'd with anyone.
I must say though deep in the confinds of me shed it is a tad warm with all the electrnoics fired up.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I have no idea what you are talking about mellman, but I gather you are a trifle warm. Do you have a fan? (Of the whirly-blade, electric variety, not Mrs Mellman cheering you from the sidelines.) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    fill paddleing pool with cold water and sit in just do not drop your cb in lol do not want you with a perm lol
    val
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    :shock:
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    is this some secret mensa test?
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Foxtrot Charlie? :roll:
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    10 4

Oh thank goodness for that, thought I might have been suffering with sunstroke.

Roger and out. :wink:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Its is a full moom.. :shock: :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • mellman01
    Right Here’s an explanation, right first cast your minds back into the mists of time when England was a great power we burnt dead whales fat for light and generally ruled the world with a 303 and a bayonet instead of diplomacy, life was so easy then, all you needed to do to sort out the fuzzy wuzzies was to jab them up the ****, they don’t like it up em you know!.
    Right I digress, now we are in the year 1912 mid Atlantic on a bloody big ship called the Titanic, now the radio operators used Morse code and when they wanted to talk to anyone use to tap out the letters CQD but this time they also used SOS, now CQD is said to sound like saying seek you, and the D stands for distance, so now it’s morphed into CQDX, I don’t know why it just has ok!?. Oh by the way it was said that when the Titanic sank this was the first time the letters SOS was used, mind you didn’t help much as the closest boat had it’s radio turned off.
    Right now high up in the atmosphere near to interplanetary space there are enormous amounts of deadly radiation streaming from our dear old sun, in fact it’s like having 16 odd feet of concrete above your head so all that atmosphere isn’t just nice to breath oh no it’s a bloody big radiation shield.
    Right here comes the chemistry, ionising radiation hits the O2 molecules otherwise known as Oxygen it is powerful enough to break up some of the O2 into two Oxygen atoms, and it also charges other O2 molecules up by ionising them by stripping away an electron or Beta particle, these are part of the northern lights you know!.
    Now the Oxygen is all charged with static a bit like you and I are when we get out of the car sometimes, what it does is sometimes it grabs another single Oxygen atom forming O3 or Ozone, this in turn is also charged because O3 really wants to be O2, so it’s slightly unstable and will in time break down back into O2, anyway this Ozone is reflective to radio waves and sometimes when the sun is really active with solar storms otherwise known as solar flares there is enough radiation to cause O3 formation at various levels way up high, this bounces radio waves around the curvature of the Earth and allows idiots like me to talk utter dribble to dear old Johnny foreigner!, oh the sun has a sun spot cycle of 7 year off and 11 on, when it’s at it’s peak the Northern lights are the most noticeable don’t you know, and these can also be used by us to talk to our friends up north as most of the suns energy is deposited around the southern hemisphere
    So as Mr Meerkat says simple!?
  • robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    Oh dear......girlies.......

Mell talking big 'boys' toys.............

Not CB 'girly' stuff..........

You going to set him off now....................

Damn...............Rob x
    Roba045.gif
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    10:4 Roger & definately out... Got a headache reading that :shock:
    debs
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    brilliant explantion Mel altho,got me slighty worried now...but gives me good excuse why i have been so brain dead lately and not catching onto things, no oxygen......
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I is blonde but I understood! Thank you mellman, fascinating stuff. Now, remembering it all, that's a different story. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    CQ
    CQ
    CQDX....

Fond memories of my Dad's hungarian voice callling that out on his radio :)

Love

Toni xx
  • mellman01
    Thanks Len I forgot to mention that, hope I got most of it right, it's been a long long time since I had to do anything along those lines it's still in there but may be a tad muddled, oh the guy in Spain told me off coz I was on the 28Mhz Ham band silly me but hey at least I got the contact, right forgot to say Len rig kicks our around 35 watts on SSB and my aerial is a 5/8th wave dipole.
    the range of me set goes from 25 right up to 30Mhz but the low band is full of odd electronic sounds not sure what they are though, no ne down there so really can't see the point of em.
  • mellman01
    I had a 3 element yagi but binned it just didn't have the bloody space for it, 8 watts is going some and 18 WPM Morse is very impresive Len, for the HAM ticket you needed to do 12 I think, now though they don't require it.
  • mellman01
    edited 30. Jun 2010, 13:17
    Sounds it Len, oh how simple life was in those days, you knew where and who the enemy was and where you could find him if you really wanted to, one thing for sure was you knew he wasnt going to be in a council bedsit down the road living off the welfare state while he tries to make a bomb our a an old 9 volt battery some wire and a tin of flippin Spam wraped up in a pair of Val's old knickers not to metion a liberal dose of sticky back plastic!.
    And if he isn't doing that he will be on the street corner shouting about how terrible it is here and how we should all have our heads cut off just for being nice and paying for all his food lodgings and healthcare.
    Sorry I cam over all light headed then!!?? :mrgreen: :roll:
  • mellman01
    I'm not mad Len!, I have the papers to say I am now sane!, Hmm I think man love is OK so long as there's no touchy touchy!! :oops:
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Cuban missile crisis- those were the days.......

elizabeth :wink:
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein