knee cap kept

bertyboy
bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
edited 3. Jul 2010, 05:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
A ouestion to all that have had a tkr did you keep your own kneecap and if you didnt is it still classed as a tkr ,and does it make a difference
i kept mine and it was down as a tkr
I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    HI Berty

(not a TKR person myself) but there have been some postings on knee caps recently ... something about they used to routinely remove them, but now current thinking it is better to leave them in tact ... Might be worth a search.

Hope you are doing ok,

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Interesting question bertboy. I'm not a TKR and never will be, but the kneecap is separate from the joint, isn't it, at least I think it is - that's why it can slip round to the back of the joint and do other odd things. Why would they take it away? Curiouser and curiouser! (I hope you are doing OK by the way.) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bertyboy
    hi speedy not to bad i suppose just the amount of bend i still dont seem to have so just wondering if its conected to the kneecap
    hows you doing ok i hope x
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hi Berty,

They left me with my own kneecaps and it's still classed as TKR. At one time they used to remove them but then the patients found big problems with the knee slipping, so they try to leave them now if they're not too badly affected.

Hope this helps.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi, I've never had any of this type of surgery, so when I read your post, I had a picture of the surgeon giving you a piece of bone to keep as a sort of good luck charm!!! Then I read the others and realised how daft I am!! Its just my niece has her gall stones,
    Good luck and take care, love Sue
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh woodbon, that brought back memories! One of my ex-neighbours had a 'gruesome pot'. Its contents were vile. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    My dad had one done last year and he aint got his own kneecap......He is 78 mind....
    Hmm touchy subject with me, they wanna take mine out......and when I had fragments taken out they gave me them in a sample bottle to show me how big they were...To me its no more gruesome than people who keep lockets of hair/teeth from their/their own children......One cleaner where I worked ages ago used to show baby teeth off to us on a regular basis...marbles well n truly gone!!!

Elaine
    bertyboy wrote:
    A ouestion to all that have had a tkr did you keep your own kneecap and if you didnt is it still classed as a tkr ,and does it make a difference
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    No idea Berty, if I have my knee cap or not. If I remember I will ask the surgeon at the end of July at my 6 month check. I have a feeling they are there, although that is only an assumption.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • bertyboy
    well thanks all didnt expect to get a laugh out of my question but i have :lol:
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hi Bertyboy

You are right it is still a TKR. My knee cap was left as it was.

How are you doing?

Sharmaine

bertyboy wrote:
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    bertyboy wrote:
    hi speedy not to bad i suppose just the amount of bend i still dont seem to have so just wondering if its conected to the kneecap
    hows you doing ok i hope x

Hi Berty, don't know whether this would be any good for you but when I was in hospital a lovely lady who was having her second knee done said how she used a skateboard to get her knee bending :shock: Not as radical as it sounds!! She used to sit infront of the TV or whatever with her foot resting on the skateboard and absentmindly just move her leg backwards and forwards - evidently it worked wonders at getting her knee bending again - no force needed .... All the other patients with TKR were plotting to get granchildren to lend/buy them one!!

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hi Bertyboy

I forgot to mention that I also used a mini cycle to help with the bend in my knee. You can buy these from Arg.s. They can be used whilst sitting upright or laying down. They tend to slip but I found if I wedged it against the wall it helped. You can also use it on a table top to exercise your arms. I've seen them on some of the mobility aids sites too.

I used this prior to my TKR to strengthen thigh muscles ...back then I could only use it whilst lying on my back and it was the only exercise I could do. Before the TKR I couldn't walk any distance so had to use the wheelchair. My knee had totally bowed inwards. I'm sure doing these exercise daily helped prepare me for the TKR and recovery post op.

I did say to the physiotherapist that it would benefit the patient enormously if they had physio prior to the op too. Apparently they would like to offer this service ...I just don't know what's stopping them from doing it. It's probably money.

Regards
    Sharmaine