Shoulder/Neck Pain

annebr
annebr Member Posts: 730
edited 29. Jun 2010, 12:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted for a while, being back at work takes it out of me.

I have posted before about my nexk and shoulder pain but this time it seems to have moved on to another level. As well as the useful pain & stiffness, I now feel as if my are is heavy like a dead arm & then my grip isn't as strong. Could this be a trapped nerve?

Finally have my first rheumy appointment next Tuesday, it has been a long 6 months waiting for it to come through. I have organised myself for it, list of symptoms/questions & I have also taken photos of the swelling & rash as obviously they won't be as bad on the day of the appointment. Hopefully this is the first step towards diagnosis & that magic pill.

Anne

Comments

• ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Anne, good thinking on the photo idea. You seem to have prepared well for Tuesday. I wish you luck and hope you get some answers.

Lv, Ix
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    well done hope you get the answers you need val
    val
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    You`ve got this appointment sorted like a military operation Anne. Way to go!! I`ve wondered how you`ve been coping with work etc., and have missed you being around.

About your neck/shoulder. I had similar early on in the year. Just as you describe. I found 20mins ice, followed immediately by 20 minutes heat, then smother the area in Voltarol, helped. Also, taking painkillers - and anti-inflamms if you`re allowed them - regularly. It took a while, but it`s gone now, just left a bit of weakness, but I can live with that. Oh, and using the laptop didn`t help. Nor did driving. Anyway, mention it at your consultation.

Let us know how you get on........Much love........Ange.
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Anne, sorry you are finding it hard going being back at work ... that will be me in a few months.
    I'm sorry I can't say anything much about your neck, shoulder, arm and hand problems.
    Good luck with your long awaited rheumy appointment - you sound well prepared - good for you.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • annebr
    About your neck/shoulder. I had similar early on in the year. Just as you describe. I found 20mins ice, followed immediately by 20 minutes heat, then smother the area in Voltarol, helped. Also, taking painkillers - and anti-inflamms if you`re allowed them - regularly. It took a while, but it`s gone now, just left a bit of weakness, but I can live with that. Oh, and using the laptop didn`t help. Nor did driving. Anyway, mention it at your consultation.

Hi Ange,

Just about coping with work but so tired. Do you know what caused the problem with your shoulder/arm? I had found that heat packs helped but the 'dead' arm & grip thing is new.

Anne xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Anne,

I am so sorry to read your having trouble with your neck. I find it familiar and mine is cus the neck has got dehydrated and bulge disc in it which push on nerves and trap and pinch them.

Your I hope will like Ange's be temporary but glad your seeing someone as you need at least an xrays at least..... Hope that's on your list?

I really hope you get a god appointment and a lot less aggro from your neck and shoulder soon. (((( )))) and love Cris xx
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    I have no idea what caused the awful pain, and heavy feeling Anne. As I have OA, I tend - probably wrongly - to just accept these things. In total, it lasted for about a month. Like you, I did wonder about a trapped nerve. I have sciatica from time to time, and this pain down my arm, and the other "sensations" were similar to that type of pain. Even though it has mostly gone now, I sometimes get the feeling that it`s still lurking in the background, so I`m uber careful not to do anything that might kick it off again.

I hope you get some relief soon.........Please keep in touch..........Ange.Xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Anne

I am sorry to hear about all your aches and pains. It must be extremely tiring to be working during all this.

I am relieved to read that you have an appointment shortly because I do not think that symptoms of numbness should be left too long without seeing someone with medical knowledge.

I wish you well at your appointment. You have prepared well for it.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I second elna 100%. Good luck with the appointment - most impressed by the photos idea! Please let us know how you get on. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi Annebr

Long time no see :)

Sorry about the neck shoulder malarky - how right you are!! your bits will all be fine for the apt - so the notes and photos will stand you in good stead.

I wish you luck with your apt.

Love

Toni xx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hello Anne,
    Sounds like you've been through a very rough time. I hope now that you will find its all been worth it. I'm sure you will, but why oh why do we have to do so much pushing and pulling ourselves? I often wonder what happens to the people who just except what their doctors tell them and think nothing can or should be done for them. Do they become part of David Cammarons (sp?) broken society?

Anyway, very good luck to you! :)

Love Sue
  • annebr
    Thanks everyone.

The neck & shoulder problem seems to flare up every now & again but these new feelings are a bit disturbing.

I am trying to be as organised as possible for next week as I know there is something wrong but don't know what it is. Just putting a name on it will help. My ANA results have been positive, which is a Lupus indicator but who knows.

Once they know what is wrong they can give me the magic pill then I will only have the FAI & OA to cope with.

Although on another note, I think I have mentioned the my ortho surgeon is great, he actually phoned me a couple of weeks ago to check how I was doing, I was so surprised.

Thanks again.

Anne x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    [

Although on another note, I think I have mentioned the my ortho surgeon is great, he actually phoned me a couple of weeks ago to check how I was doing, I was so surprised.

Thanks again.

Anne x[/quote]

WOW :shock:

Can we all see him? :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    What a lovely thing for him to do. Sometimes, just occasionally, someone does something that restores one's faith in the medical fraternity.

I hope you are feeling reasonably well today. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Hi Anne so sorry you have been having such a rough time, but glad your appointment is soon. you do indeed sound very well prepared - and photo idea is a good one. I did this a couple of times recently - should have seen the look on the doc's face when I brought out my gallery of grisly pics!
    Really good luck on Tuesday.
    Love Tilly x