Weird new research

caprica
caprica Member Posts: 195
edited 30. Jun 2010, 08:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1290386/The-implant-zaps-neck-ease-pain-arthritic-joints.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

All sounds pretty weird and it is the Daily Mail, but the article sounded pretty competently written so maybe it was well researched.

Not sure I'm overly keen to have some implant electrecuting my nerves 24/7 but it is interesting that they're trying to explore other avenues of treatment aside from drugs.

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Caprica, thanks for link, shall take a peak tomorrow - suddenly realised I'm tired and need my bed...

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    The obvious downside is that if you get a cold or any other minor infection and the infection fighting cells are stopped, what then?

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    If you're referring to the anti TNFs then there is the danger that one becomes very ill without realising it, as your body does not produce any symptoms. Having been on these for a few years I am now expert in avoiding infection! All my clients have to use hand gel and they are banned from seeing me if they have the slightest cough or sniffle. So far, so good. The impact on my income has been noticeable as a result, but I haven't been ill. Yet. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • fester
    fester Member Posts: 98
    Same here DD, all friends and family have been politely and in some cases bluntly told to stay away from me if they have any sort of illness that is infectious or catching. When in town or at shops always take some antibacterial handwash with me.
    Just can't take the risk can we but small price to pay if it works.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    What a very interesting article :!:

Early days definitely but holds promise eh?

If it is proven to work safely targeting only RA and doesn't mistakenly suppress the production of cytokines when the body is under attack from harmful bacteria, germs then wouldn't it just be wonderful?
    I'm also an anti tnf peep so understand the reservations DD and Fester...xxxx

I wonder if it's being tested for PA and the other sero-negs too....

Probably too late for me but otherwise I'd volunteer to try it !

What's also interesting in that article is the ongoing research into i/d 30 inflammatory markers that might allow earlier detection and treatment..that would be wonderful!

thanks caprica for sharing.....it's encourging to know research is still being commissioned for fighting arther. :mrgreen:

Irisx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    was interesting but scared me when saw xray looks like my hand and not been told got ra just oa and inflimation which is under control at moment sounds like good idea hope it works got to be better than all these drugs val
    val
  • caprica
    caprica Member Posts: 195
    I think the idea is that the vagus nerve in people with inflammatory disorders is not producing enough ...whatevers. So by stimulating it it produces the normal amount. So *in theory* that wouldn't mean it's reducing normal infection-fighting cells.

We definitely need some novel ideas to improve treatment, as clearly anti tnf (despite being great for a lot of people) isn't all it's cracked up to be.