Disabled Toilets

wendgro
wendgro Member Posts: 296
edited 1. Jul 2010, 13:39 in Community Chit-chat archive
I was in the supermarket the other day and made my way to the toilets to go into the disabled loo before I could get there three teenagers shot into the loo before me( none of them appeared to be disabled) I suppose to do their hair and makeup and because they are bigger than normal they could all get in together. I waited ages outside but decided not to go in the end perhaps if people realised how important these loos are to disabled people they wouldn't use them so lightly.

Comments

• Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    at our local railway station the council have just refurbished the loos ..... I called in but had not got my radar key with me :roll: so went into the ladies .... .was delighted to find a more accessible cubicle with a sign I had not seen before ... someone apparently on crutches. :o

The cubicle had handily placed grab rails on both sides ...... great I thought, then promptly thwacked my elbow and head on the loo roll dispenser that was in the way of anyone using the grab rail :shock: :shock: :x :x :x :x

sad that they have taken the time and expense of making something accessible, only for them to not take the time to consider the placing of another piece of the puzzle :roll: :roll: :roll:

I will remember my radar key next time :wink:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    The doors open outwards, don't they, so you can smack someone in the face as they walk by. I'd have blocked the door with a load of trolleys! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    The doors open outwards, don't they, so you can smack someone in the face as they walk by. I'd have blocked the door with a load of trolleys! DD

Nice one!!! DD!! :lol::lol:

Wonky my firiend who is a wheelchair user once banged her head on the air dryer getting off one in a little ch*f :shock:

Didnt stop us going though.....we love their pancakes :wink:
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    I hate having to use the disabled loo as i often get tutting or dirty looks from people who don't realise how hard I find it to get up and down without a grab rail (RA is a cruel disability all the more so when your young) so I love the ambient disabled cubicles (person with crutches) when they are done properly.

wonkylegs - can I ask what your local station is?...I audit train stations & advise them on accessibility (almost other things), we usually tell them how to do it properly but that doesn't mean that they do what we tell them! I'll know to look out for it....you should point it out to them as they probably don't realise there is a problem most people just don't think about it.

Chrissie
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Thanks Chrissie - have sent you a PM
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    You should have complained to the store. The store should be made aware that this sort of thing is happening.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Oh Wendy that's not good. I agree talk to the store manager, I don't think people realize how needed the extra room and (for me ) the grab rails are. Hopefully it was a one off. Cris x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Unlike cthornley, I love disabled loos. More space, usually un-occupied due to stigma, ergo no queueing! The best one I have found to date is at The Pier Hotel in Harwich. All the grab rails one could wish for and a lovely, high throne, thus minimising leg bending. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • wendgro
    wendgro Member Posts: 296
    The nicest disabled loo I have been in is M&S new mini store at Ashbourne Derbyshire it's Fab the most awkward one Iv'e been in is Tesco Uttoxeter Staffs the Hand dryer is directly above the left hand rail so whilst you are on the loo the hot air is on constantly due to it's close proximity to the hand rail and loo Lets start a thread "good and bad loos " Interesting thought
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    It is a sad reflection on our modern society Wendgro, a lot, not all, but many, do try and intimidate, mock, etc and generally act in a manner that would have landed us with such a smack if we had dared to behave like that as teenagers. In fact, we would not have done it in the first place.

I would have been to the store manager as slowly as my legs would have taken me and made such a fuss.

I use the disabled loo's, as they are bigger and I can clatter about with ease. Usually they are cleaner, although my spray is always handy, to wipe out any lurking nasties.

Drop a line to the supermarket, or the head office, they have to follow up all complaints, by law.

XXXX Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    "Disabled people are desexed by society. That's why they all have to use the same toilet" (Gridlock, by Ben Elton).

Nx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Wendgro - How annoying, some people don't think do they? I hope you didn't have far to drive home.

I don't like it when the disabled toilet and the baby changing/feeding room are one and the same ... it can mean a long wait.

Another thing that is annoying is when the disabled toilet is locked - not apart of the radar scheme and you have to walk "miles" to get the key from customer services ...

S has to use the disabled toilet because he is too vulnerable to send into the gents alone ... a different type of disabled. He is always quick - but like people with arther his disability is hidden and people are quick to judge. I am very grateful for our radar key ... standing in queues has been a problem for awhile and now with hip restrictions, I find it easier with the raised toilet. I haven't seen the crutches signed toilets yet - wow.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    must admit do pop in if no one around and am desperate but do look up and down first just in case better than wet patch there never enough ladies toilets
    val