Does anyone take tramadol? Is it better than cocodamol?

sugarbuttie
sugarbuttie Member Posts: 225
edited 1. Oct 2017, 16:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there

Does anyone take Tramadol? I am on Cocodamol 30/500 & don't feel it helps me much. Do you find Tramadol better? Does it cause the dreaded constipation?? :oops:

Thank you.

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi there, like all these meds, some suit others better than others ... I tried tramadol - effective for the pain, but I suffered too much from side effects that far outweighed the benefits, however others do well on them. They can cause constipation.

Do you take one of your co-codomol 30/500 at a time or two?

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Tramadol is morphine-based, so I keep them for night use - I cannot function during the day if I have one! I use co-codamol 30/500 for daytime and take docusate to ease the constipation. My life tends towards the glamorous, as you can tell! Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • psyart
    psyart Member Posts: 600
    hi - i was on tramadol and found it good - mainly only took 1 a time but 2 at night. but it made my fatigue worst so have changed to co-codomol - yes get constipated :oops: but drinking fluids and fresh orange juice helps me. like above comments show though - every one is different!

let us know how you get on and take care.

louise x
    e050.gifo050.gif
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hi Sugarbuttie

Prior to my first TKR I used to take co-dydramol and this made me very constipated. Since the TKR and the progression of arthur in other joints I have found the only thing that helps with the pain/discomfort is tramadol. I suffered with constipation with co-dydramol but not with tramadol. I take one twice a day and 2 at night. It doesn't make me drowsy during the day.

Sharmaine
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi, Tramadol is the best painkiller I've had so far - I have been lucky and had no side effects. I take the slow release ones twice a day.
    Love Sue
  • sugarbuttie
    thank you for all your replies - they have been very helpful

I have been taking cocodamol 30/500 two at a time & they make me drowsy & don't really do much for the pain.

Think I'll ask GP if I can try some slow release tramadol at my appt next week.

Cheers x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Sugarbuttie,

Nice to meet you and I found the co-codomals fairly useless I have to say. We all respond differently and if they are not working for you the Tramadol might. I have up to 8 a day but only as back up and they d help the only thing I have ever found is if I am doing the 8 a day I wake feeling like I got a bit of a hangover but if its bad they top up the other tablets quite well.

I think Sue's slow release are probably much better. keep forgetting to ask can I change to them but as I have them as and when I think mine are best as they re for now. Hope you find they work, Cris x
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Hi, I take my Tramadol only at night, it makes me sleep for about 2 hours without hearing a thing, I use Co-codamol during the day time, I don't have problems with constipation but know that soon people do love Jaspercatxx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi sugarb,

nice to meet you :D

I take Tramadol 2x 4 daily when pain is severe then cut down to combo of 1 tramadol and one Paracetamol x4 ....then twice a day as things ease.
    I found co-codamol murder on the stomach and yes plays havoc with the digestion! codydramol...did not suit me either.

Amatriptyline is good for night pain.

Hope you find what suits you best...

Irisx
  • andyboo37
    andyboo37 Member Posts: 3
    Hi there

Does anyone take Tramadol? I am on Cocodamol 30/500 & don't feel it helps me much. Do you find Tramadol better? Does it cause the dreaded constipation?? :oops:

Thank you.
    Hi,i have taken tramadol and for me personally the side effects were just too much,dizziness,light headedness,insomnia,general feeling of being spaced out.have recently seen gp.p and am now wearing a BuTrans patch,it delivers a controlled dose of meds every hour,these are brilliant.You wear them for a week and then change for a new one,best of all no more tablets!
    Hope this helps
    :D
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Hi Sugar Buttie

I take 100mg of Tramadol at bedtime as although I still wake up with pain, the pills let me go back to sleep again.

Initially I felt a bit spaced out the next morning but other than that no side effects.

Carol
  • miss_l
    miss_l Member Posts: 138
    I take tramadol and whilst it helps me with the pain i find the side effect i suffer from most is itchy .... it drives me mad and often affects my ability to concentrate at work!

Its worth a try as it has a different effect on everyone!
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    I take zapin for moderate pain dehydrocodein for worse pain and tramadol for the worse pain, mainly during the night time,
    did knock me out if I took it during the day but now know to take it and lie down for an hour ( good excuse for a lie down) I take amitriptyline x 3 at night before bed, I also take a x3 daily dose of gabapentine for nerve pain from SMA
  • sharmaine
    Hi Miss J

I get this too - it drives me nuts! I may ask my GP for something else. Tramadol really helps with the pain though!

Sharmaine

miss_l wrote:
    I take tramadol and whilst it helps me with the pain i find the side effect i suffer from most is itchy .... it drives me mad and often affects my ability to concentrate at work!

Its worth a try as it has a different effect on everyone!
  • kmt297
    kmt297 Member Posts: 24
    Hi,

I take tramadol only at night as it makes me very "out of it", I take the slow release ones that last for 12 hours as then you take a lower dose overall to get 12 hours of pain relief. I take co-dydramol during the day - it suits me better than co-codamol - like others have said everyone's different... I also combat the constipation with diet and on very rare occasions if that doesn't work I take a senna pill before bed but that has only happened twice in the last couple of years. Diet wise I eat soft fruit (grapes and plums are good) including dried fruit, drink plenty of water and eat whole grain cereal. I also try hard to get my 5 a day most days... Good luck with it - hope it helps,
    KT
  • sugarbuttie
    Hi there

Thanks for all your replies & tips. Just letting you know that I went to the docs today & asked for some slow release tramadol. She gave me some but warned I might get dizzy - I said I was willing to pay the £7.20 prescription charge to find out.

Anyway, I have taken two today with no ill effects. In fact, I noticed a real difference to the pain in my knees (which I didn't feel with 30/500 cocodamol).

So......so far so good....

Thank you for all the advice - I went to the GPs confident & fore armed. xx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hope you continue to do well on the tramadol.

Glad you were confident at the docs and felt well prepared and forarmed ... that is what the forum is for!!

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • sharmaine
    Hi Sugarbuttie

I'm pleased to hear that you've had a good couple of days on tramadol. I also find it helps with my arthur pain. The only side effect I have is the itching. I'm going to have a two day break from tramadol until my skin settles down. When the itching gets bad I have to resort to taking antihistamines. I expect I'll be reaching out for them after two days as the co-dydramol doesn't really help.

Take care.
    Sharmaine
  • Edenderry5504
    Edenderry5504 Member Posts: 3
    edited 1. Oct 2017, 07:36
    Hi there

Thank you

I take tramadol 100s x 3 daily & co codamol 30/500, 4 daily. I am constipation but I take a laxative to ease the problem. My Dr prescribed me laxido x 1sachet daily.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi Edenderry5504

Welcome to the Arthritis Care forums.

I took the liberty of amending your post to separate the quotation part from your own contribution. :)

I note you are posting on a very old thread from 2010. Do call in to the Say Hello forum and introduce yourself and say what your experience is with arthritis.

I look forward to seeing you there.

Brynmor
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello and welcome Edenderry5504.

I think what you are doing is OK if it's under the supervision of a doc but the NHS advises not to mix tramadol with codeine-containing pain relief.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi I have never taken Co codamol so cant speak for them but
    I have taken tramadol and found myself nearly on the ceiling :lol:
    I found I got the dreaded constipation with it as well.
    Everyone is different so that's just my opinion

Love
    Hileena