pain relief

Options
tarasmygirl
tarasmygirl Member Posts: 70
Just been diagnosed with RA last month and started Metho on Sunday. Have been on diclofenic from start and phoned clinic last week when pain was really bad as diclofenic + paracetamol weren't doing anything to lessen it. Was told I could take co-codamol or co-drydamol with diclofenic. Still didn't bring pain level down so phoned own surgery yesterday and spoke to nurse, she got me prescription for solpaldol and things are much better this morning. What I would like to know is do you have to keep taking all the painkillers or only take them as needed during a flare up ?

Thanks
Cath

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi ask to talk to your gp they should phone you then you can ask i only take pain meds as and when i need them but the anti inflams take all the time both lots . you do need to ask though to be sure val
    val
  • tarasmygirl
    Options
    valval wrote:
    hi ask to talk to your gp they should phone you then you can ask i only take pain meds as and when i need them but the anti inflams take all the time both lots . you do need to ask though to be sure val

Thanks Val - feel stupid at times, but what you say makes sense. This has really knocked me for six as I'm the one who has to look after everyone else. ( both my parents and my mother in law- who lives with us- suffer from failing health )
    Due at surgery for blood tests re Metho next week so will discuss it with them. Been taking the diclofenic and solpalol since Monday night and although stiffness still there - which I can work on slowly during the day- most of the pain has lowered and is now about 2-3 instead of the 8-9 I had last week.

Thanks again

Cath
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Cath,

I agree with Val, take they anti-inflams every day.

Take the painkillers as needed.

But, if going through a bad patch it is best to take the painkillers regularly and consistently until get throught the bad patch.

Sounds like you have a lot on your plate - 3 people to care for is a lot - do you get any support or respite?

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    Options
    Dear Cath,
    Thanks for your enquiry to Helplines. We are not qualified to answer individual drug enquiries - so you do need to check with some one medically qualified (such as a pharmacist) to get this absolutely right. Obviously you need to be certain how much total paracetamol is in the various drugs and what the safe doses are. In addition you may want reassurance on the best times to take painkillers for them to give you the most efficient pain relief.
    I hope you get the answers you need.
    all the best
    Guy
  • tarasmygirl
    Options
    Hi Speedy

Thanks. my husband and sister in law help a bit and my daughter gets out when she can. Mum and Dad are in their own house and most of time can cope ok, but dad has been ill for a few years. He's been stable for a while now, just used to rely on me for heavy shopping, now my husband has to do it.

Think it only starting to dawn on them that I need help but after having been the rock for so long, I find it hard to ask and get upset that my body is letting me down.

Mother in law slowly recovering from major illness last year, again it's the heavy things that she can't cope with.

My boss has been quite good allowing me to work flexitime to cope with blood tests & clinic appointments. Have struggled to keep going and he knows that jobs will take longer when hands are sore and is okay with that

Cath
  • tarasmygirl
    Options
    Dear Cath,
    Thanks for your enquiry to Helplines. We are not qualified to answer individual drug enquiries - so you do need to check with some one medically qualified (such as a pharmacist) to get this absolutely right. Obviously you need to be certain how much total paracetamol is in the various drugs and what the safe doses are. In addition you may want reassurance on the best times to take painkillers for them to give you the most efficient pain relief.
    I hope you get the answers you need.
    all the best
    Guy

thanks Guy