not sure if

Options
only49
only49 Member Posts: 1,207
hello

i live on the orkney islands, the group below the Shetland isles, anyway i just wondering if my doctor realizes how my OA in my knees effects me, and as she said to me last time i saw her, " come back when your arthritis is stopping you from sleeping " i didn't think much of this, and wonder if that's how they think she i bother with them at all, (sorry about that ).

I know it is important to keep active and do as much as you can which i adgre with and i am finding heat the best help living with it the pain, but sorry to put it this way but how i see it i am trying all i can and feel all i need is a little understanding how it is for me, and is it just me as i always thought they were supposed to be there to help and to me it dont seem that way.

thanks for reading this, its good to know someone understands.
sylvia :)stern02.gif

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi there,

I wonder what would be most helpful? You may feel that you just felt like telling us how it is and that's all. If that's the case then I completely understand. Alternatively you may want to put your self-management hat on and think 'the GP does not seem to understand the true extent of my pain'... if that's on the money then hopefully you could get lots of suggestions here on the forum for how to talk to the GP and get things across to them assertively.

hope that helps

all the best

Guy
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Options
    Hello

Just saw your post.

How dare they say things like tell us when if effects your sleep!!

At the beginning of my own journey into this minefield of pain and illness I too faced such comments from the docs.
    I said to them - "Sorry if I sound disrespectful, however this is the year 2010 and we put man on the moon years ago therefore I expect to at least have my pain managed and expect a better quality of life than I have now".
    Of course, I smiled sweetly when I said it! :lol:
    What I am trying to say is please do not give up. Tell the docs how negatively this effects your daily life and you are asking for their help in improving things.
    Keep us posted and good luck.
    Thinking positive thoughts for you.
    Carol x
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    Options
    carola wrote:
    Hello

Just saw your post.

How dare they say things like tell us when if effects your sleep!!

At the beginning of my own journey into this minefield of pain and illness I too faced such comments from the docs.
    I said to them - "Sorry if I sound disrespectful, however this is the year 2010 and we put man on the moon years ago therefore I expect to at least have my pain managed and expect a better quality of life than I have now".
    Of course, I smiled sweetly when I said it! :lol:
    What I am trying to say is please do not give up. Tell the docs how negatively this effects your daily life and you are asking for their help in improving things.
    Keep us posted and good luck.
    Thinking positive thoughts for you.
    Carol x
    hi carol
    thanks for your reply, i thought that too i now feel hell will freeze over before they see me back there, i feel i got to get over this attatude of the doctors before i be able to move forward, sorry for how i put this down, but it seems to me as if it is down to ignorance and having never experinced or even have any understanding what i going through, its just the same with kids that are on the autistic spectrum as i know because they look and yes ok behave differntly people tend to draw the same conclusion and i think its the same in my case, i feel i may have to change practice or find a doctor that has some understanding of arthuritis and how it effects us, and thats going to be very difficult.
    sylvia :)stern02.gif