Cake Making Ideas

Rainbow77
Rainbow77 Member Posts: 275
edited 23. Jul 2010, 10:31 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi everybody.

I know I can rely on you to help me. I am a qualified teacher but for the last year I have been teaching adults cookery. The charity I work for have booked me for 2, 3 hour sessions to do cake making. They did want me to do cake decorating but arthur has taken its toll on my hands and so I could not do all that finite stuff with icing. But I can make lovely cakes - so I said I would do cake making.

I am now in the process of planning my session and would like to ask what sort of cakes would you like to make if you could come?

I will do the usual victoria sponge, muffins and butter icing etc but am trying to figure out what other easy but wow factor cakes I could do.

I have got to consider temp of oven , timings etc to put the whole session together. Why did I say yes to this?

I have thought about rock cakes and ginger cake so far. The skill range will be very mixed and I will have to judge that on the day when the learners come.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Fay xx

(Cheeky I know - but I have got teachers bloc!!) :):):)

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Fay

I will bump up the recipe thread we had going a long time ago and there are plenty of cake recipes on there :D

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Fay

Hope you dont mind me asking are these adults who have learning disabilities or anyone???

We love bread and butter pudding here and any kind of muffin....quick and easy jam tarts??

Love

Toni..
  • frogmorton
    PARKIN!!!!

Just read it on teh other forum and thought of you :wink:
  • Rainbow77
    Hi Toni

I have run 10 week courses since January and I have taught about 6 groups to date. I teach a really wide range of people including young mums, people with learning disabilities, men who's wives have died and they have no skills in kitchen. Age range 18 -60 plus.

It has been a really interesting job for me. I am teaching accredited courses and I write all my own courses to match the criteria and then I just plan my sessions, teach, no staff room politics etc. It is easier then teaching secondary school children, but it is demanding in a different way. Some are lethal in the kitchen!!! but I love to see them grow in confidence during the course, cook more at home etc.

But sadly the budget for this has been cut drastically and so I only have 1 booking for September so far. So I will have to probably claims JSA and start looking for new work or go back on supply in Sept.

Because cake making will be a one off - I have no idea of the range of ability until I start. So I have to be prepared and tweak my lesson if needs be.

Good ideas - will look for a recipe for bread pudding. Oh No - not more pastry making - I have had to teach myself very quickly over the last few weeks as I have taught them to make meat pies, apple pies and a bakewell tart. They all turned out well, but I do not eat much pastry myself.

Sorry this is turning into a long post!!!

F xx
  • Rainbow77
    Hi Elna

Thanks for bumping up cooking thread. I remember it well. I will have a look through it.

Thanks

Cyber cake on its way to you!

x
  • frogmorton
    Hi Fay

Now braeed and butter pud is always a hit here. My kids all love it and love top make it - never had a failure at all :)

I do hope you get a few more bookings - supply is so hit and miss isn't it? :(

And JSA - well who on earth would want to be on that :shock:

LOve

Toni xx

PS we did a post which overlapped - what about parkin??(not the blue badge issues :wink: ) that's not too hard :wink:
  • Rainbow77
    What is your recipe for bread and butter pud?

Don't worry about the mix up!!

Well JSA will be the last resort. (checking the bank balance - ho hum!) Not panicking just yet, worst things have happened to me but not looking forward to entering into that circus again - one time is enough!!

Thanks
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hi Fay.
    have you thought of making a cake with half flour and half baking powder you have to put a teaspoon of bicarbinate of soda in as well.
    the cake is very light.
    you are doing a good job good luck.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I dimly remember a recipe for chocolate fudge cake that involved sunflower oil, no flour, all wet ingredients. Would you like me to see if I can find it? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    I love carrot cake.

Or how about traybakes, there's lots of different toppings to put on.

cupcakes

fruit cake

tealoaf

banana loaf

I love cake me :D

Janie
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    ginger short bread with ginger icing or orange syrup cake both not to difficult and taste great
    val
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Space cakes their always a winner!
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    chocolate cake cooked in bowl, middle removed filled with sweets(from underneeth) put some of sponge back in place on tray cover in chocolate fudge icing place mach makers in to look like bomfire great for kids
    val
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Upside down cake. Looks impressive with little effort :D

There is always the favorite chocolate rice or cornflake crips for the younger ones.

Lv, Ix
  • Rainbow77
    Hi everyone

Thanks for your ideas. I am getting a good list of ideas together.

Mel what are space cakes? I am not sure I know what they are?

Orange syrup cake - that sounds really nice. Will look for a recipe for that.

I have made rock cakes this morning. They look nice, I have not eaten one yet, I did burn them a bit though!! Opps.

I also made little coffee buns, experimenting with the topping. Had to put them in the fridge to set though as it is so stuffy here on the south coast.

Thanks everyone

Fxx :
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Date and walnut and date cake with butter cream filling.

If you could get the moulds you could have a go at cream horns flakey pastry in strips around the case making sure they joined well to one another.

That is a quick recipe. Not sure if this helps at all.

Trish xx