Hi

thehiplady
thehiplady Member Posts: 11
edited 22. Jul 2010, 13:59 in Say Hello Archive
Hi
My name is Pamela and I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis (both hips) and traumatic arthritis (one knee) during 2009. I'd gone to the surgeon with a suspected labral tear and a suspected trochanteric bursitis to be greeted with the words "mm I wouldn't worry about that what about the severe arthritis in both hips you're going to need replacements" Not a great way to break news to someone!

I had the first hip done in Oct 2009 and apart from occasional pain its doing well. The other hip doesn't play up too much but my surgeon is offering to do my knee anytime I want - I crushed that during a climbing accident and its got a bit missing!

So it looks like I'll be going under the knife on an annual basis for a year or two more :P

After my op I got totally fascinated by hip replacement surgery and started a web site for patients. Its' called -totally unoriginal I know - http://www.hip-replacement-and-recovery.com. It proved to be far more work than I ever expected but I do enjoy doing the research and sharing it with other people. At the moment I'm focusing on the exercise pages - mainly because I need to get restarted. I'm going to look for some hydrotherapy - has anyone else done that? I'd love to hear your experiences. I don't fancy trying to make room for myself amongst all the manic lane swimmers at my local pool and the teaching pool is a bit shallow. So I'd love to hear how others manage.

Looking forward to getting to know you all on the forum - I've read a ton of your posts and you are such a warm, supportive group.

Bye for now
Pamela

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello and welcome. Your web site sounds interesting and I can imagine that it does take a lot of work! Unfortunately I have the wrong sort of arthritis so will never have the benefits of replaced joints but many on here do. We tend to communicate more on the LWA and CC forums, with the odd burst on Working Matters too. That's where you'll find us! Feel free to jump in on any topic at any time, we like new voices! Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • thehiplady
    thehiplady Member Posts: 11
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello and welcome. Your web site sounds interesting and I can imagine that it does take a lot of work! Unfortunately I have the wrong sort of arthritis so will never have the benefits of replaced joints but many on here do. We tend to communicate more on the LWA and CC forums, with the odd burst on Working Matters too. That's where you'll find us! Feel free to jump in on any topic at any time, we like new voices! Dreamdaisy

Thanks for the welcome - appreciated. Am going to explore the rest of the forum after supper.
    Bye
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Pamila
    A very warm welcome to the forum, and thankyou for the info, I am waitin g for my THR so it is very interesting.
    Take care
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara