What do you regret wearing in the past.

tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
edited 26. Jul 2010, 12:06 in Community Chit-chat archive
I remembered I used to wear cullottes when in my teens. Dreadful things. :oops: :oops:
I was wondering what clothing you once wore(Spelling!!!) and now regret.....Silly hats, shoes, colours or wedding dresses!

Elizabeth
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein

Comments

• trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I went to a party in a black and white stiped dress.....Oh dear big mistake. Some fella came over for a dance then said he like my perfume but you dress make you look like a zebra.

Well we were by the food table and he got a carton of triffle on his head.

I told him that he looked as funny as I did now. Threw the dress away when I got home.

Trish xx
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    When I was about 12 or 13, I was in a dancing show and halfway through, my skirt fell down to my ankles. It was a case of either stepping out and doing the rest of the dance in my knickers, or trying to continue while holding it on with one hand.

Imagine my embarrassment, when the show was halted, and the curtain brought down while someone tried to find a safety pin :!: :oops: :oops: It is a moment which is etched in my memory forever :shock:
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    well when about 11 in the early 70s a dress that only just reached my thighs the picks awfull said to my mum how could you let me were that she said you liked it lol
    val
  • valval
    val i have a piccy of me about 10 in pinnifor school dress barely past me bum!! :shock: :shock:

bet your mum loves showing it off know mine does lol
    val
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    A bucket hat! I wore one to a wedding in the early 70's, they were all the rage..........I have a photo of me in that wedding outfit - the hat and the bag matched. I look totally ridiculous.

Annie
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    My mum has a picture of me aged 5 with a sailor dress on and what can only be discribed as a pair of dame Edna's glasses :roll: Its the most vile photo of me.

Julie
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    OMG where do I start
    Mini skirts in the 60s one picture shows me wearing suspenders :shock: :oops: the 70s my platform shoes :shock: we even have movie film of it :oops:
    the 80s shoulder pads..looked like an American baseball player :oops: I had better stop, or I will be up all night :shock: :)
    Barbarax
    Love
    Barbara
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    no regrets!
  • valval
    black jump suit with gold trimming belt and boots
    val
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Once when I was 10 or 11 I was in trouble for something but on the Saturday night there was a church disco, which I had to go to. My Mum gave me a choice, no disco or go and wear an outfit of her choice.

I chose the latter......

.... a brown tweed skirt and a brown fair isle jumper, the shame of it.

But, I was so nosy I had to go so wore the outfit. A punishment that I have never forgotten.

Anne
  • mummyb
    mummyb Member Posts: 1,231
    trisher wrote:
    I went to a party in a black and white stiped dress.....Oh dear big mistake. Some fella came over for a dance then said he like my perfume but you dress make you look like a zebra.

Well we were by the food table and he got a carton of triffle on his head.

I told him that he looked as funny as I did now. Threw the dress away when I got home.

Trish xx

b0230.gif
  • mummyb
    mummyb Member Posts: 1,231
    When I was about 14 I had a lovely trouser suit, it was white with a lacy tunic style top and lovely white flared trousers, I wore it to go to a disco at a school (not one that I attended) I was so hot I took the trousers off half way through the evening, causing so many people to look and point, The top only just covered my bum and whenever I danced everyone could see my lovely NAVY knickers!!!! and to add insult to injury they had an ultra violet light at the disco so for most of the evening, I was luminous and stood out like a blooming ghost!! Oh the shame :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Like oneday, je ne regrette rien. It was all OK at the time. I fondly remember and ankle-length tiered skirt in an orange paisley pattern, teamed with a bright yellow halter-necked top and a string of bells tied round my waist, you know the sort, small, brass Indian bells on a thin, multi-coloured cotton string. I loved wearing my platforms until my mum decided she had to have a pair too: that ended that. In the 70s I had a brown duffle coat called Jeremy that I adored and my parents, much to my amazement, bought me an Afghan coat (I think that's what they were called), furry inside, skin outside and heavily embroidered. I can smell it now. It's still in my mum's hall cupboard. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Great thread Elizabeth :D

I have throroughtly enjoyed these :lol::lol:

Poor AnneBr :oops: that was sad :(

Anything I cringe about now??

I had an orange cagoule i wore CONSTANTLY when I was a teenager - i called it my 'orange thing' (DD will understand this) and I loved it so much - sigh....

Probably the worst was the pudding basin haircuts our Mums used to do???

(Now they go to better hairdressers than US!!! - they dont know they're born do they? kids today)

Underneath that was my Jophn Lennon Glasses complete with eye patch (cross-eyed I was :oops: )

Not a good look :(

No wonder I have such low self-esteem :roll:
  • tkachev
    Oh dear oh dear. The trials and tribulations of growing up. Worse ones are when you think you look great and then gradually it dawns on you that you dont (im sure you looked lovely Trisher in the zebra dress, he just said the wrong thing and probably fancied you and is still traumatised by the incident).

I have had my halter neck top come undone twice. And you dont wear a bra with a halter neck. But Id rather forget about those incidents!

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    [).

I have had my halter neck top come undone twice. And you dont wear a bra with a halter neck. But Id rather forget about those incidents!

Elizabeth[/quote]

I can picture it Elizabeth.

Cham - yep those were the specs and i used to 'break' them all the time too - Your Sis and me suffered you know :(
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    In the 80s I used to wear

- Jumpers with bat wings
    - Jumpers and shirts with padded shoulders (my mum used to love buying them for me, even though I have very broad shoulders and don't need the padding!)
    - Rara skirts with leg warmers and stillettos

I also went through a polo neck phase when I still had very big boobs!

I don't have any regrets eithers - we'll look back on today, too, and wonder what the hell we were thinking!

Nx
  • tkachev
    I wondered who would be the first to post about RaRas! Good old Nina.

Toni, please dont picture it! I had to cover up quick with my hands!

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    This is a lovely nostalgic topic, and has really got me thinking back.....and I can go back quite a way!!

I, like others, truly have no regrets. I`ve always loved fashion, and always will, and it all felt right at the time.

What it has made me realise though, is what unshakeable confidence I had, back in the day. I was a young mum in the sixties, wearing mini skirts - or pelmets as my dad used to call them! - and revelling in how good I looked. Before life and it`s problems started to bite a bit. Mind you, I always bit back!!

It`s true though that youth is wasted on the young.........Ange.
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    White plastic pull-on stretch boots that came
    up to my knees with a crochet black and white
    mini-dress. OMG, did I really go out dressed like that?

Well it was early 1970's so maybe I am forgiven.

Oh and platform shoes that I used to fall off regularly -
    usually when stood having a drink, and the drink
    would splash everywhere. :roll:

Kath
  • frogmorton
    kathbee wrote:
    White plastic pull-on stretch boots that came
    up to my knees with a crochet black and white
    mini-dress. OMG, did I really go out dressed like that?

Well it was early 1970's so maybe I am forgiven.

Oh and platform shoes that I used to fall off regularly -
    usually when stood having a drink, and the drink
    would splash everywhere. :roll:

Kath

Did you wear oxford bags???

I so wanted oxford bags, but I was too young :(
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    A mandingo posing pouch at the pool party! :mrgreen:
  • frogmorton
    mellman01 wrote:
    A mandingo posing pouch at the pool party! :mrgreen:

Oh Mell

Think Jan

regretted you wearing that :lol:

Love

Toni xx

PS have you got a shaving rash yet??
  • Rainbow77
    Rainbow77 Member Posts: 275
    It is interesting reading through all of these posts.

I think the most embarrassing things I had to wear was the jumpers that my mum and nannie used to knit for me and my sisters.

My nannie had a knitting machine and she used to make up jumpers. The problem with them was that she would just knit long rectangles and stitch them together for the arms and body. So it was like a straight jacket when put them on. They were always stripes in all different colours. We used to get them for Christmas and we had to wear them and smile and say thanks when we received them.

I remember one of them was green and white checked and they were always too long in the body!!
  • ellsbells
    ellsbells Member Posts: 31
    valval wrote:
    black jump suit with gold trimming belt and boots
    Couldnt go to loo in these,balancing on one leg,trying to keep them off the wet floor, boys couldnt get to your Bits!!! though. Frustrated young farmers. :oops: