Why is it alway someone else's responsibility?

tillytop
tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
edited 27. Jul 2010, 13:26 in Community Chit-chat archive
Just a little bit of Eeyore-ish musing:

I have just called our local council to report an abandoned car which has been sitting at the end of our road for at least a month. Car is not taxed and has been clamped - by DVLA I think from the worn sticker on the wheel clamp.

So, very nice lady at the council office takes the details, then tries to put me through to the correct dept, can't get through, so takes all the details again, converses with her colleague who advises her that because it has been clamped someone knows about it so technically, it is not abandoned. Not therefore council responsibilty but she says she will pass the details to the "waste management" team to follow up.

Call me a cynic but I'm fairly sure that will be the end of it, so I asked who I should speak to if it is still not removed in a week or so - she says, speak to the police or the DVLA. Which puts the onus firmly back on me. GRRRRR.

Why will nobody ever take responsibility?

Tilly x

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    They love to pass you around different departments. I posted similar a few weeks back when nobody wanted responsibilty for my sons free school meals which had been stopped because tax credit forms were not confirmed because of so many forms to process!

If its not taxed then it should be towed away.On the other hand its probably a stolen car so surely it needs reporting to the police.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tillytop
    You're right Elizabeth - I reckon it's a game they play! Hope your son's free meals got sorted in the end?

I'm sure that, in the end, I will end up reporting it to the police - but our local PCSO is good at following up on things so he will be my next port of call I think.

I'm like a dog with a bone with things like this though so it WILL get sorted one way or another!

Hope you are having a good day.

Love Tilly x
  • hopefull
    hopefull Member Posts: 15
    hi I always report similar cars to dvla and they seem to deal with them immediately.
    hope this helps
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hmmph! Tilly

WHY do we bother?!

I would go to teh DVLA, but part of me thinks knickers to it :roll:

Love

Toni xx
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Tilly
    do you think anyone else in your street have reported it or do you think leave that for some one else to sort out.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    skulk out late at night and petrol bomb the bugger they would soon move it then!.
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    It's the council's problem, whether it is clamped or not has nothing to do with removing it.

The council will investigate whether the vehicle has been abandoned and will check to see whether it has been stolen or involved in an accident. If the vehicle has been abandoned on a road, including private roads and estates, the council will remove the vehicle.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/WhereYouLive/Streetcleaninglitterandillegaldumping/DG_4001703

Email your local council's Chief Executive, (look on the council's website), and ask why nothing is being done after you have taken the time and trouble to report it. Tell them that you and the press are monitoring the situation and you expect action, you have had enough of empty words. Quote the section of information given above and request removal within 7 days. Give them a time limit and if they don't stick to it complain again and ask for a copy of their formal Complaints Procedure.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Nice

one Joseph!!

Tilly that should do it :wink:

Toni xx
  • tillytop
    Thanks Elizabeth, Cham, Hopeful, Toni, Joan, Mellman and Joseph for your input. Thanks for the link Joseph - will save that for future reference. Think Mellman's suggestion is the only one guaranteed to get a result but think I'll hold off on that one for a while yet!

Based on your comments I'll give it a week and then try local police/DVLA. It's not in the way but I just feel that one abandoned car is the start of a slippery slope and, before you know it, the street will be littered with cars up on bricks, dumped sofas etc etc

Thanks all!

Love Tilly x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    We have an on-going problem with people parking cars that are for sale outside our houses (we have on-road parking) then wandering off and leaving them, until some mug rings the 07 number on the sign and possibly ends up buying said vehicle. I found a way round that: I text the owner and say there's been a spate of vandalism but so far their car is un-marked. They usually shift it straight away and go elsewhere! It's not that untrue either: cars parked outside our terrace regularly have their wing-mirrors kicked off, or they are keyed. (Scary Spice (one of our local odd-balls) usually does the kicking, but I haven't seen her for a while.) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    tillytop wrote:
    You're right Elizabeth - I reckon it's a game they play! Hope your son's free meals got sorted in the end?

I'm sure that, in the end, I will end up reporting it to the police - but our local PCSO is good at following up on things so he will be my next port of call I think.

I'm like a dog with a bone with things like this though so it WILL get sorted one way or another!

Hope you are having a good day.

Love Tilly x

The forms arrived today on the first day of the summer holidays! i did sort before hand after lots of chasing around.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tillytop
    Hi DD and Elizabeth

Elizabeth - glad the forms arrived - eventually!
    DD - like your approach to "for sale" vehicles. We have the same prob round here although not usually in our street. But we have had vandalism problems generally in the road- one night I looked out of the window to see a lad undoing his trousers in preparation for weeing over the back of our car!!!!! I shouted out of the window like a fishwife and he ran off.

Tilly x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Never had you down as a fishwife tilly - frankly surprised you have the vocabulary! Me, on the other hand . . . . DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tillytop
    Aah well, DD now you know!!!

Resuuult! Car towed away this evening to the local scrap dealer!

(Oh ye of little faith Tilly!)