Running

natty01
natty01 Member Posts: 2
edited 29. Jul 2010, 07:00 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi, I am a keen runner and have run a few marathons, the last one a couple of years ago. I have just found out that my recent injury problems are due to arthritis in my knee and hip and I am likely to be needing a hip replacement before too long. Does this mean the end to any running? Does anyone have any experience of this? I know there are some out there that will think I should be grateful I can even think about running, but I am still angry that my body seems to be letting me down and stopping me from doing the things I love. Any info welcome.

Comments

• oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    i see runners on the pavement and just thinking of all the pounding the joints are taking.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Natty

When I had my back op[ I knew another parent at school who had had his done not long before. He was told that it was the end of his running days....

I see him now out there pounding fairly regularly.

I do have another friend though who had hip issiues and changed to riding his bike instead - gave him just enough of a buzz.

Hope you dont have to stop, but I reckon your body will tell you either way

Love

Toni xx
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,898
    Hi Natty.
    i have arther in my hips knee's feet.
    i have thr and tkr.
    and i have promlems walking because of all the aching i know i cannot run.
    i wish you luck. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I think you are going to be unlucky on this one. Do you have OA in your hip/knee? That's the most likely form of arthritis I guess, given what you do. How old are you? Hip replacements are not doled out like sweeties because they do not last forever, and I think you have to try other treatments first. I don't know about going privately tho, they might do one 'cos you want one (at vast expense no doubt!) but I cannot envisage that you could run a marathon after the recovery.

I will challenge you to a wheelchair race - that's my best offer! I wish you well. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    Natty

don't take her up on the offer - she's had a fair bit of practice :roll:

Swimming is bets for joints I do that when I can - not so much pressure on your joints....

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    No I haven't! We'd be on a level playing field - literally! DD
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Natty

Just seen this thread. Methinks running would be out, definitely road running and most probaby all running. Best to change to swimming, cycling and fast walking.As DD ponts out, hip and knee ops are not given out like sweets and some of us on here have had to really fight to get them. Going private would cost you dearly and even then consultants are not always keen and say to carry on until the pain is unbearable as they do wear out.

It is perfectly understandable that you are angry, we have all been angry and still are some of the time even if fleetingly. Some peeps get away with things and others don't - injuries and genes unfortunately intervene and stop us playing. :) Once we have picked up the pieces, brushed ourselves down, we begin to think of other things we can do instead.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    I've yet to find them. DD
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    hi if you are nearly ready for replacement you have been running with it bad for ages as to wether you can run ask the consultant i do not know but feel sure if possible you will manage it good luck hope you do manage to carry on or perhaps ride a bike??? val
    val
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I really feel for you. I used to do Gymnastics but because of tennis elbow had to stop the handstands and swinging because of the increasing pain and the damage I was doing to my elbow joints.I carried on dancing and high kicks, splits etc but then I had to stop that because of sudden onset of Rheumatoid arthritis and joint damage. Hip pain gets pretty unbearable and I know you wont want to run after a while.
    After the operation they dont advise pounding the streets because of high impact on your joints. But then again Wayne Sleep carried on dancing after his recent hip replacement.
    Do they think the running has contributed to the joint damage or caused it in any way? Its awful when you enjoy something so much and pain prevents you from carrying on as i know from my own experience.
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    I've been thinking about this, what could I possibly do? The answer is pub crawling. I would be quite good at that. DD
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    dreamdaisy wrote:

You make a huge contribution to this forum, for starters, DD. :D

E x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Natty,

Running is a high impact thing and they tend to say those are bad for us... but.... I have been told I shouldn't/can't do a whole list of things over the years and well having tried some of them I found I still could. I never will know if I should have though.

I think you will know if you can or can't carry on running cus it is usually the pain that's stops us. After a replacement for a while at least low impact is all you can do but good on you flower and I really hope you will be bale to find a compromise and something you enjoy doing to keep you active cus muscles are the best defence (or so I think.) Nice to meet you. Cris x
  • frogmorton
    elnafinn wrote:
    dreamdaisy wrote:

You make a huge contribution to this forum, for starters, DD. :D

E x

That's true Elna :wink:
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you both - how kind. Right: shall we three go on a pub crawl then? Lemonades all round? DD
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    can i come will borrow trishers chair and give you lifts from one to another lol
    val
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Did somone say pub crawl?

Running a marathon is on my list of things to do before I'm 40... I will get round to it!

Nx
  • moogiemouse1
    moogiemouse1 Member Posts: 28
    Hi Natty

I have had both hips replaced now, the right one twice! Now I know I could physically run if I wanted to but have been told this would shorten the lifespan of my new hips, so it's a toss up really - Run and have to have revisions earlier or do something with less impact and hang onto them for longer - it's my choice! At 44 I keep fit from riding my bike, swimming and going to the gym (where I do everything but running machines). It's like Elna says we adapt to our circumstances accordingly, I'm lucky (believe me reading on this site what some of the people here have to suffer,I'm lucky), I lead a relatively normal life now thanks to my new bionic hips but I want to look after them and keep them for as long as possible, I understand your anger, I was diagnosed at 17 and felt very hard done by I can assure you, but you do learn to adapt.....Best Wishes.