Am I covered by DDA?

pluggathome
pluggathome Member Posts: 171
Morning all,

Me and arthur and being made redundant, along with my whole work place so no issues there, but we have never job hunted together before.

I am looking into whether I should declare arthur but really want to know if I am covered by the DDA? Who can give me the answer. Do I need it in writing?

If anyone can help that would be great.

Thanks

Plugg

Comments

• dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi plugg and welcome to the forum :D

Agree with delboy....you are covered by DDA if the impact of your condition is 'significant and long term'. It is not the condition that qualifies you....it's the effect on your day to day living that counts.

.......and yes declare it to any new employer! you don't have to present any 'proof' but it may be that you will see the occy health people before you start with an employer so that they can assess what supports you might need; sometimes occy health also ask permission to contact your doc or consultant for more information but this is treated confidentially.

Depending on how arther affects you...you can ask for an Access to Work Assessment by contacting your local jobcentreplus and speaking to a Disability Employment Adviser..........once you have the prospect of a new job they will assess under DDA and identify what aids or adaptations would help you in the 'new' workplace..

this website has good info on 'work and independence' that explains your rights in more detail.....just click on the 'Publications and Resources' tab at the top of the page and you'll see the link on the left hand column.

good luck with the job search. :!:

Iris x
  • pluggathome
    Thanks for your responses guys.

Plugg
  • dorcas
    Keep in touch and let us know what happens.

We are here to support one another so post any time. :wink:
    Iris x
  • pluggathome
    Hi all,

Just a quicky update as a bit of good news.

I disclosed my RA on my first job application with it and even used it as an example of how i cope with change and I got through the first round. Woo Hoo!

3 more rounds to go. On-line ability testing next. I never pass these bloomin things. Mad thing is, I'm applying for the job i do now but with the new organisation.

Pluggxx
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Hi all,

Just a quicky update as a bit of good news.

I disclosed my RA on my first job application with it and even used it as an example of how i cope with change and I got through the first round. Woo Hoo!

3 more rounds to go. On-line ability testing next. I never pass these bloomin things. Mad thing is, I'm applying for the job i do now but with the new organisation.

Pluggxx

Glad to hear you had a positive response _ I know that this isn't always the case. As a piece of legislation the DDA doesn't always have as much effect as it should (I advise & audit on DDA within the built environment so have 1st hand experience of how terrible people and organisations can be) and discrimination is often hard to prove.
    I have had a bad experience with the disclosing it at interview in the past but still feel it is the only way as if a company has a problem with it then how am I (or would I even want to) actually going to work with them in the long term. I always go down emphasising the positives and educating a bit without lecturing most people’s reluctance is more to do with failing to understand what it means.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on
    Chrissie
  • pluggathome
    Am through to final round - assessment and interview. Woo hoo!

Plugg :D
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    That is very good news indeed! Well done plugg. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • pluggathome
    Hi guys

Just thought I would let you all know that I got the job! :D

A bit nervous now about how new employer will be with arthur and all its joys.

Trying to figure out the travel side of things as at the moment I have a parking spot at my current place. Parking in brum aint cheap and with pay cut can't afford it.

Looking at train, bus too risky cus it's not like we can walk whilst the bus is going round the corner and hang on now is it. :lol:

People have said get me a blue badge but we all know how easy they are to get - not. Im sure you have to be half dead :|

Some people have mentioned access to work. Can anyone suggest anything else?

Pluggxx
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    great news about the job - well done :D:D:D:D:D

sorry i can't help with the other questions ... but am sure someone will be along shortly.

hugs
    WOnky
  • dorcas
    Congrtats on getting the job :mrgreen: great news. :D

Don't dismiss the idea of applying for a 'blue badge'...in some areas (like mine) there are two ways of applying.
    firstly...if you are already receiving high rate mobility DLA then all you need do is fill in the form, provide proof of entitlement to HR DLA (decision letter or recent renewal letter), two photos and it's that simple...blue badge issued very quickly.
    second way is to apply for a blue badge under 'discretionary grounds'...Gp has to support this type of application.

Why not contact social services or l/a office who deal with it in your area and ask? nothing lost by applying. :wink:

About Access to Work....contact with Disability Employment Advisor is through local jobcentreplus. Can be very helpful for you and your new employer as ATW will cover the costs of most (not all) work related aids or adaptations or support ...depending on what you need. Process is usually quite quick but would advise you to let your employer know if you do decide to go down this route as ATW will need to contact them.
    *You can have a chat with a DEA before making a definite decision about accepting their involvement.

Has your new employer referred you to their OH department (or contracted out OT provider) for an assessment? would have thought they will (must) do this as you have declared a disabling condition?

lots to think about...but so pleased for you that you got the job!!!

Iris x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    That is fabulous news! Well done you. If you don't apply for a BB then you won't get one. Try and see what happens. Other than that I have no helpful suggestions as I work at home. Sorry. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • pluggathome
    Wonky and Dreamdaisy, many thanks for your congrats!

Dorcas, thanks for the congrats and very useful advice. I'm off to investigate :D

Pluggxx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Well done Plug ... what a parlaver having to reapply for your own job.

I live in same area as you and I have a blue badge - a long arduous process to get one if you don't get DLA, but possible .... the dept dealing with applications is dealing with a big back log - so apply quick as they take months .... You can get the form by emailing them - do a search.

Does your new company have carparking? My school doesn't have any disabled bays - and I have told them that I really need one (as I need to open the door wide to get in and out ...) I won't hold my breath though!

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • pluggathome
    Hi Plugg

Brilliant news - well done you!!! :D:D

Hope you get the parking sorted (you could just park in the MD's space - smile sweetly and plead ignorance) :wink:

Good luck anyway, and hope it all works out for you.

Luv, Lynn xx

Thanks Lynn, the MD don't even have a space. It's a building with no parking :roll: ! Don't ask....... :D
  • pluggathome
    speedalong wrote:
    Well done Plug ... what a parlaver having to reapply for your own job.

I live in same area as you and I have a blue badge - a long arduous process to get one if you don't get DLA, but possible .... the dept dealing with applications is dealing with a big back log - so apply quick as they take months .... You can get the form by emailing them - do a search.

Does your new company have carparking? My school doesn't have any disabled bays - and I have told them that I really need one (as I need to open the door wide to get in and out ...) I won't hold my breath though!

Speedy

Hey Speedy, no parking am afraid. It's odd but i'm kind of cautious about going for me blue badge cus there are so many people out there who don't deserve one/use someone else's i'd be scared to death if I have good day and go a wondering around the shops that I'd get reported and be accused of being a fraud.

Have just been for walk tonight, building up the resiliance for the train to office walk but i haveto keep slow or bits hurt, find the flat ground cus wonky ground really miffs me ankles and can only do a walk like this once a day, anything over and me heels throw blades and i have this mad random patch of pain on the front of me left calf which goes barmy- tis wierd that one.

Pluggxx