was in bed

valval
valval Member Posts: 14,911
edited 1. Aug 2010, 06:36 in Community Chit-chat archive
was in bed last night reading hear a strange sound thought son had knocked something over well till went in kitchen this morning gass fire in there covered in soot and floor in front of it so had to arrange for some one to come remove it and need a sweep help any one know one lol
val

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Val....good job that happened...if the flu was full of soot..you could have had fumes leaking in....hope you find a chimmney sweep ...look on line..
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Val hope you manage to find a chimminy sweep, just a thought can you still send children up :?

Julie
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Val

We get a local telephone book delivered with all the phone number of local businesses.

If you cannot find one, I could ring here and ask do they know anyone where you are.

Let me know and will try for you.

Trish xxx
  • valval
    will look in yellow pages sure to be one well sure they still exist or who do they get at weddings lol
    val
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    On Sunday, just as I was hiding/dozing behind the papers, we had a bird fly down the chimney and get stuck behind the gas fire in the lounge. Such a bumping and threshing about.

So I disconnected and removed the large gas fire after covering everything over that I could think of and moving precious/ breakable stuff out of the way. I turned and reached for a towel put ready to cover the bird and there was such a thump as the starling, (which was about a foot long, not a chick), wriggled through the vent in the fireplace back screen and flew, trailing soot across the room and smack, hit the window.

Unluckily it had hit one of the fixed panes, (all the opening ones were already wide open), so I swept a very sooty, flappy bird out through one of the open ones with the towel and it left a trail of soot and bits as it headed for the sky. Then the clean up began. General clean around the room and fireplace, then remove the fire screen to get all the soot and bits out that it had brought down with it. After several empties of the vacuum cleaner it was done. Re-tape the screen and fit/connect the fire.

Take up all the covers and re-vacuum the carpets and the rest of the room. Then the aches and pains took over and so to bed for several hours recoup.

I know that I don't need a sweep, but I must warn you that having a bird clean the chimney is both noisy and messy, but it does get thoroughly cleaned.
    f039.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • valval
    hi joseph do not think got a bird in there unless it dead can not hear one but not sure how much soot left in there will ask fire bloke when he comes they are god work next door to where i work it does take some cleaning though
    val
  • valval
    rehab44 wrote:
    valval wrote:
    hi joseph do not think got a bird in there unless it dead can not hear one but not sure how much soot left in there will ask fire bloke when he comes they are god work next door to where i work it does take some cleaning though
    Father Christmas coming early? :shock:

well he must be stuck can not find my presents any where looked here there and every where
    val
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    t7722.gif

Found him :lol: but not your presents :cry:

Julie x
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • valval
    snowball wrote:
    t7722.gif

Found him :lol: but not your presents :cry:

Julie x

no wonder he so clean all the soot on my floor lol
    val
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Anyone want my kids???

They're free for hire??

who suggested we send em up the chimneys??

think it was Pixie....

(Personally I'm not sure it's even legal)

Hope all your messes are sorted :)

Glad Joseph's bird was ok too :)
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Hi Frog
    I suggested it to Pixie on the cafe thread but never got to see her reply. The cafe thread moves fast,

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • livinglegend
    frogmorton wrote:
    Glad Joseph's bird was ok too :)
    And no sympathy for me. Typical. a070.gif
    Josephm0310.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh livinglegend, I have just read thro this thread - what a palaver! I occasionally hear the pigeons that sit on our roof - three storeys above the ground. To the best of my knowledge we have yet to have any bird take a tumble - and I don't think I could sort the problem out, thanks to two gas fires on the ground floor. Are you still paying for it with aches and pains? That was quite a bit of shifting you had to do! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    I was going to send my g'sons, but they leave a trail of debri' too.
    I suppose, thinking about it, a good clean up of the chimney was a good thing. Makes you wonder where all the soot comes from when you have a gas fire.

Whenever we have a storm, heavy rain we get a sudden noise behind the gas fire like masonery falling down.
    Makes me jump

Joy
  • livinglegend
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Oh livinglegend, Are you still paying for it with aches and pains? That was quite a bit of shifting you had to do! DD
    Knees and shoulders hurt and fingers still ache, so more resting up. f030.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • holmesi
    holmesi Member Posts: 96
    edited 30. Jul 2010, 11:15
    we found a four foot oak post lodged in the chimney at the top
  • dreamdaisy
    Take some painkillers Joseph, and rest. I guess you won't be painting for a few days which must be frustrating. DD
  • livinglegend
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Take some painkillers Joseph, and rest. I guess you won't be painting for a few days which must be frustrating. DD
    Just completed two paintings, so as they say in the film industry, "I'm between pictures at the moment."

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    Very droll! I hope inspiration for the next one comes soon. DD
  • valval
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Just completed two paintings, so as they say in the film industry, "I'm between pictures at the moment."

Joseph 8)

think the next one should be black cat in the soot
    val
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Bet there isnt many sweeps around now. What a mess u had x joanne
    Joanne
  • valval
    things just got worse if that posible lol they have removed fire and the back is full of soot and rubble not a good sight they tested to see if chimney was working ok but it is not the half brick must have come from between flues so smoke came out of places it should not have lol would be to expensive to have repaired £500 with out price of scafolding so going to stick to an electric one the bloke said to use as we do not use kitchen very often and to clear it my self said was not worth spending on sweep so was covered head to toe in soot have killed two hoovers and had pale cut offs on and tea shirt not the best outfit for clearing soot val all done floor washed but knees feet and hands aching something awfull val
    val
  • livinglegend
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Very droll! I hope inspiration for the next one comes soon. DD
    We went out to a vineyard today as I felt I should make the effort, staggered about a bit, (no wine, just normal) and took plenty of photos to choose the next masterpiece from.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    Oooooh, challenging. Stock up on shades of green! DD
  • livinglegend
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Oooooh, challenging. Stock up on shades of green! DD
    I use Hookers Green for the shadows/dark green areas, plus 2 blues and 2 yellows which give me all the shades I need.

For the non artists, blue + yellow = green.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif